Budget 12V refrigerator (Costway, Alpicool, Vevor, BougeRV) - recommendations needed

drabina

I am looking for a budget 12V refrigerator. I know that ARB, Dometic and Engel are probably the most reliable and good buys but for the few weekend outings a year I do not want to spend $1K+ on one. So I am looking at budget options like Costway, Alpicool, Vevor or BougeRV. All at around $300-$400. I am not too concerned about getting refrigerator with the least power draw though quiet operation would be a plus. Anybody went with one of those budget fridges and could share your opinion after few months or years of use?

OverlandNA

53qt bougerrv did 15 states, 7200 miles over the winter, didn't skip a beat. I've been using it indoors as a freezer since I've been back.

Reactions: plh

Willsfree

I have the Alpicool LGcf45. I'm happy with the cooling operation, but it does make some sound that bothers the SO. We've been turning it off when we sleep. Mine is a fridge/freezer, I might have gone with fridge only for better efficiency. It was less than $300.

86scotty

Cynic
If you want great for a good price, Truckfridge.

If you want good for a great price, I couldn't be happier with my Domende (made by Alpicool), Amazon special.
paid $289 for it.

tall

SetPower. made by iceco. like mine.
Are they really made by Iceco? I agree the RV45S looks A LOT like the Iceco VL45 -- with one big exception: the compressor. Iceco gets their rep because they use the same (5-year warranty) Danfoss/Secop compressor as the big names. Whereas, SetPower promotes a (3-year warranty) Huayi compressor. I'm not super concerned about the warranty time difference, but since the compressor is the heart of any fridge, the Secop/Huayi disconnect is a major difference unless someone can dig up details about the Huayi being a proven performer.

plh

Explorer
Are they really made by Iceco? I agree the RV45S looks A LOT like the Iceco VL45 -- with one big exception: the compressor. Iceco gets their rep because they use the same (5-year warranty) Danfoss/Secop compressor as the big names. Whereas, SetPower promotes a (3-year warranty) Huayi compressor. I'm not super concerned about the warranty time difference, but since the compressor is the heart of any fridge, the Secop/Huayi disconnect is a major difference unless someone can dig up details about the Huayi being a proven performer.

Pretty sure Huayi is the largest refrigerator compressor manufacture in the world currently.

chet6.7

Explorer
I didn't see a size mentioned. I bought a small Alpicool for behing the seat, I wasn't thinking about securing it when I ordered it, sturdy handles would have been nice, I am using a ratchet straps that have to be released to open the unit, not that big of a deal, but...

drabina

Thank you for the recommendations. Honestly, I haven't measured the space to see what size I can fit but most of the brands have number of sizes to choose from. From the replies, I see that all different brands are in use. Probably will go with what's available (hopefully locally) and the dimensions I need. As to securing it, there are rights built into the floor that can be used. I also have a drawer system to which I can attach a loop hook for the ratchet strap.

RDinNHand AZ

My Alpicool CF35 has been great for two years of extended use running off the Tacoma, or my homemade WATTBOX LiFePO4 54Ah battery tied to a 100 watt folding solar panel. $279. If I were doing it again I’d go with their C40 in the metal box at $299 at Amazon. The plastic is fine but I broke a bit out of the vent for the condenser.

plh

Explorer
I am actually considering an Alpicool K18. I currently have an Edgestar FP430 (for 10 ish years, has worked flawless), but it is really too big for my Outlander.

86scotty

Cynic
I am actually considering an Alpicool K18. I currently have an Edgestar FP430 (for 10 ish years, has worked flawless), but it is really too big for my Outlander.

The 'Domende' I recommended above is made by Alpicool. Just FYI, same company. I chose the cheaper fridge and paid for the longest warranty. So far it's been great.

Also, this is my first foray into these cheaper, new names in fridges.

Reactions: plh

Florida Native

We have a Costway 30L (don’t think they sell it anymore) and it has been running almost non-stop since March 2020 and has thousands of miles of on-road use. It’s been our camping fridge, Covid food overflow, drink fridge, and/or delivering frozen food to kids at college over that time period.

Couldn’t be happier with it. Well, it could be a little quieter but not too bad. We have no problems sleeping with it at the foot of the bed (but I don’t think I would have been happy with it under the head of the bed as I originally envisioned). I also replaced the handles with folding chest handles to narrow it a little bit. Pulls 3.6A when running, but in the 73F house, only runs about 13% of the time.

-Mike

plh

Explorer
The 'Domende' I recommended above is made by Alpicool. Just FYI, same company. I chose the cheaper fridge and paid for the longest warranty. So far it's been great.

Also, this is my first foray into these cheaper, new names in fridges.

Domende CK-18 looks like the one, Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman