Bug out challenge

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I am thinking this Virus hysteria will blow over at some point soon, but if not and the S hits the fan, the idea of a bug out is going to be a good idea ! Supplies could run out and people will get desperate and stupid. The question is can you live off the land long enough for things to calm down? And the most important question to ask is; how bad does it have to get before you pull the plug and run?
I still think the best plan is just to stay home. I don't think this will ever get to the point where you have to live off the land.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Every time I see a zombie apocalypse or similar scenario, I think to myself.

• Well stocked boat in a large fishable lake, calm/shallow ocean/sea, etc. It needs to be a sailboat.
  • Manual and electric Reverse osmosis system
  • Good solar system
  • Lots of books and movies

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
No need to retire. Just find your local racing club and stick your thumb out. By the time you retire you’ll know how to sail and what boats not to buy.

Its not for everyone thats for sure

Well I mean I have about 15 years of sailing experience....

I just move too much for a sailboat to be an option right now, and am away too much for me to meet the maintenance requirements of boat ownership. I have considered joining a yacht club but man they were might expensive, but there is one down in San Diego that seemed reasonable.

Dirt Rider

Going back to my OP, I think a sailboat may just beat me, had not thought of that! Endless food supply, no need for fuel, make your own water and energy from the sun. Hmmm

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Going back to my OP, I think a sailboat may just beat me, had not thought of that! Endless food supply, no need for fuel, make your own water and energy from the sun. Hmmm
Lots of people start out thinking that way. You can be somewhat self sufficient but that translates to about 40ft for two people. And it takes about a yr full timing it before you get a somewhat effective system figured out.
Fresh vegetables and fruit are a challenge.

My boat is a big 28footer 12ft wide 8000lbs empty. Its basically a weekend escape pod for a family of 4.

CampStewart

Observer
I am thinking this Virus hysteria will blow over at some point soon, but if not and the S hits the fan, the idea of a bug out is going to be a good idea ! Supplies could run out and people will get desperate and stupid. The question is can you live off the land long enough for things to calm down? And the most important question to ask is; how bad does it have to get before you pull the plug and run?
So if you run away from your home do you expect anything to be left of it when you return? Do you plan to just wander the world foraging for food the rest of your life or what? What kind of life do you expect your kids will have going forward years after you bug out? Everyone thinks the idea of bugging out is so cool but I never hear of their long term plans after driving off into the wilderness in their jeep with a full tank, a rifle, and a cooler full of food.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
There is a small number of situations where anarchy would break out, and you would be better off leaving home. I don't think that will happen here. The spanish flu didn't result in widespread anarchy, and they were a lot less capable than we are today. Its a fun fantasy scenario, but other than total war, where infrastructure is literally dismantled, there isn't any historical reference to widespread breakdown of society like that. The waves of black death in the middle ages? maybe. There were some cataclysms which affected an area, but thats usually restricted to a few hundred square miles at most.

Alloy

There is a small number of situations where anarchy would break out, and you would be better off leaving home. I don't think that will happen here. The spanish flu didn't result in widespread anarchy, and they were a lot less capable than we are today. Its a fun fantasy scenario, but other than total war, where infrastructure is literally dismantled, there isn't any historical reference to widespread breakdown of society like that. The waves of black death in the middle ages? maybe. There were some cataclysms which affected an area, but thats usually restricted to a few hundred square miles at most.

Hmmmm history.....most of the 1.8 billion people in 1918 were self reliant. Now there's a pandemic affecting 8 billion people most of whom are depend on others to plant the seeds and turn the wrenches.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I am thinking this Virus hysteria will blow over at some point soon, but if not and the S hits the fan, the idea of a bug out is going to be a good idea ! Supplies could run out and people will get desperate and stupid. The question is can you live off the land long enough for things to calm down?

I’m set up to make a run for it if I need to, but I’ve got so many rabbits on my property, a pond full of fish, and a couple of loud dogs to tell me when it’s time to open up the armory. I think we could last a while before the need to leave came around.

That said, they’ll have to pry it from my cold dead hands!B8DA9D58-C129-4F00-AD2E-42132AACC75C.jpeg

This is probably not as funny if morons aren’t hoarding toilet paper in your town like they are in mine!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kabobkabobkabob