Build out the Tacoma I have now (2005 Xtracab 4x4) or start with a 1st get 4runner?

chrisblain

Currently have a 2005 V6 Tacoma. 250kish miles. It's entirely original.

Thinking about doing a mild built to go have a little more fun out in the desert, and for camping in general.

Half of me wants to use the truck that I already, the other half says sell it and start with something a little rattier, so I won't feel so bad about tearing it up.

The truck I have now has had a comfortable life, and would be a great base for all of this, but...

I really like the idea of the convertible top on the old 4runner. I really like the idea of being able to climb into the back from the driver's seat if I'm camping by the side of the road.

Background: Yes, I like suffering. I've driven a 1946 (ish) Willys cross country twice, so I don't mind the (probably) worse road manners of the old 4Runner.

I have to assume that there's lots of folks here who have weighed the same decision? Any thoughts and/or results to share?

K.Ray

Adventurer
Do both. Daily driver and ratty wheeler. Best of both worlds. If space is an issue then build the truck and just be easy on it. No reason to go destroying your machinery.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
It's a personal thing, and it depends on what kinds of modding you want to do and what you want to end up with.

The 1st Gennies are very cool, but many of them are getting to be more like hobbies than reliable transportation. I'm constantly dealing with electrical gremlins with the '85, and I can't say I'd be comfortable taking it very far any more. It's mostly used as a farm truck now. There certainly are those that are better sorted, but they're all getting up in age.

Your '05 is probably a really nice combination of reliability and comfort while still being not-so-new that new scratches or dents induce cringes (but maybe they do). I'd be tempted to keep using your '05, but I wouldn't do much in terms of modifications. There's also no need to tear it up to get out there. Finesse and common sense are always the best driving techniques (for a 1st-gen 4runner as well). There's no need for exploration and damage to be correlated.

desert_steve

I think it comes down to personal preference as well, but heres my $.02.
My 1st gen 4runner kind of fell into my lap for cheap, thats how I ended up with it. Its taken me many years and thousands and thousands of dollars to get it where it is today, and if I knew then what I know now, I wouldve just shelled out the money for a newer truck. Its not that Im not happy with my 4runner, but parts arent exactly getting easier to find. Anything you could possibly want to do to your tacoma is readily available. Theyre total "cookie cutter" builds (I mean no disrespect by that). Want to SAS swap it? Theres a dozen companies out there that make a kit for it. Want to drop an LS in it? Theres companies out there that sell the stuff to do it in kit form. Need some interior piece that you broke? The local junk yards and ebay have you covered. Need some part from toyota? Not a problem, they still have thousands of whatever part it is that you need in stock.
Now, you need a red passenger door panel for an 89 4runner with power windows/door locks? Good luck finding that lol. After youre done trading the seller your spare kidney and naming your 1st born after him/her, you now have a 27yr old part thats probably going to break again sometime in the near future haha. Im at the point now that if I need a part, its almost easier/cheaper for me to get crafty and fab something up. Sure it might not look as good as that ancient factory part, but at least I wont have to worry about it breaking again for a while.
Either way, good luck with whatever you build!

Last edited:

chrisblain

Hi all,

Thanks. Those are all good points, esp. about the replacement part availability. My attraction to the 1st gen is mostly about aesthetics- I like the idea of having a partial convertabe, at least in the California summers, and I like the idea of being able to climb into the back from the cab. Other than that, I guess there isn't really much of a draw for me. I'm messing around with CAD for a few small projects - a swing out tire carrier, etc, which would be applicable to either vehicle. We'll see if this exercise leads me to any revelations...

Elbee

Adventurer
well if the truck is paid off. I would keep it and do a mild build and then save your pennies for a trail beater a little further down the road.

chrisblain

Cool. Thanks. I'm a little new around here. Should I just start throwing build pictures into this thread once I get going, or should I start a new one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk