Build Thread: '05 Tacoma for Search & Rescue

DarkHelmet

Adventurer
The SARcoma build - as named by my unit's Medical Director no less - has begun.

I use this truck as a volunteer for an area Mountain Rescue unit. I am both an EMT and a technical rope rescue guy. We get into some pretty hairy territory here in Idaho and I wanted a capable vehicle with all the equipment (and creature comforts) to get the job done. My wife and I also enjoy exploring in our free time. The truck is becoming less and less of a daily driver as the cost of gas goes up. My wife and I work together in the same office so we drive her Prius to cut down on fuel costs.

I have been inspired by a great number of people here on ExPo and for that I thank you all! I will be incorporating many of your ideas (and some of my own) as this build progresses.

Make: Toyota
Model: Tacoma Double Cab 4WD SR5 TRD Off Road
Year: 2005
Purchased as Toyota Certified Used 3/2007 :birthday.sml:
Miles when purchased: 26,000
Lifted at: About 48,000
Miles to date: 79,689 as of 10/2011

Front Axle: OME 886 w/N140S
Rear Axle: Stock Toyota E-Locker, OME Dakar w/N182
Tires: 255/85 R16 BFG MT/KM (w/Full Size Spare)
Wheels: Stock Toyota 16"
Engine: 4.0 1GR-FE
Trans: Auto A750F

CURRENT MODIFICATIONS:
OME 886 w/N140S front
OME Dakar Spring Pack w/N182 rear
ARB Bull Bar
Warn M8000 winch with Amsteel Blue Synthetic Rope and Safety Thimble
CBI Offroad Bolt On Sliders
Vision-X 6503 Adjustable Beam HID
Icom V8000 2m Mobile (wide Tx mod)
Whelen CenComII Siren/Light Controller
Whelen LED Warning Lights
Whelen Traffic Advisor
Whelen Hide-A-Way Strobe system
RAM Laptop Mount modded as Radio/CenCom mount
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx w/City Navigator and Topo base maps
RAM Garmin Mount
Vision-X Solo LED Off-Road Lights (4 spot / 2 flood forward; 1 spot for aux reverse light)
Diff Breather Mod
Backlit 4WD Switch Mod
Blue Sea Systems 12 circuit fuse panel w/negative bus
ARB 47L Fridge/Freezer

Future Mods:

Phase 3:
Custom Bed Rack or Fiberglass Topper that will support RTT
Roof Top Tent
GoLight

Phase 4:
Dual Battery Set-up

Other:
Additional VHF Radio
Trailer Harness Relocation Mod

BEFORE:
Tacoma-1.jpg

LicensePlate.jpg

NOW:

DSC_0003-1.jpg

Last edited:

DarkHelmet

Adventurer
Off for install

Update 1: The truck is off at install.

Yes, against all commonly accepted rules of ExPo I am having the lift installed by someone else.

1) I don't have the proper equipment at my house to do it myself.

2) My main auto/mechanical advisor - my younger brother who spent 7 years as a Mercedes technician and has installed several lifts on his own trucks - broke his hand last week... entirely screwing up my install plans.

3) Cost of gas to drive to my brother's place in Seattle was going to run about $200+. I negotiated locally to have it installed for about that price, including mount/balance all tires and 4 wheel alignment.

4) They are also installing my bumper and winch and wiring the winch.

5) I am flat out of time. Our rescue unit is running our big yearly fundraiser right now and I am also the unit's training director. Not to mention my actual paying day job. They will be done in 48 hours with the whole thing. Hard to beat.

6) When I am driving down the road and something comes falling off... it will be their fault and not mine. :)

Pics to follow when I get the truck back tomorrow.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Nice truck!

I spend a fair amount of time wheeling/riding/sledding/hiking in the Frank Church Wilderness and I'm very impressed with the capabilities of the volunteer SAR crews in the McCall/Donnelly area. What areas will you be covering?

Does the county pay for your mods (particularly the Whelen gear)?

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Welcome. Nice rig!

Your plan looks pretty sound, and uses equipment proven itself worthy and reliable for these trucks.

If I was to offer 1 differing opinion, I'd move sliders up higher on your list if you'll be venturing into "pretty hairy territory." Nothing more frustrating than smacking and damaging your rocker panels, and with a 120+" wheelbase, there's a good chance you will.

DarkHelmet

Adventurer
HMR said:
Nice truck!

I spend a fair amount of time wheeling/riding/sledding/hiking in the Frank Church Wilderness and I'm very impressed with the capabilities of the volunteer SAR crews in the McCall/Donnelly area. What areas will you be covering?

Does the county pay for your mods (particularly the Whelen gear)?

I am part of the Idaho Mountain Search & Rescue Unit based in Boise. Our primary coverage area is Boise County, however, we will respond anywhere that we are requested (including E. Oregon, N. Nevada, and Utah). We are not directly affiliated with any specific Sheriff's Office so all the equipment is paid for out of my own pocket. It was a recent mission to the Stanley area that pushed me over the edge to get crackin' on my modifications.

Last edited:

Mcfly

Being a fellow search and rescue guy I look forward to your build. Maybe even steal a few ideas for my own rig. ;)

DarkHelmet

Adventurer
Questions...

Picked up the truck today. It looks good. Even the wife was impressed to see it in person. The locals did a good job on the install. A few questions now.

1) There is a bit of frame rub and left UCA rub at full lock on the steering. Suggestions on how to correct this or should I even be concerned by it?
DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

2) Front fender "cowling"? The bent them up and zip tied the plastic to the bumper. Is that normal install or should they be removed, cut off, other?
DSC_0012.jpg

3) ARB Bumper:Isn't supposed to come with some front "bumper" pads that align with the uprights? I see slots for them but they were not included.
DSC_0005-1.jpg

4) Winch Clutch Access. Can the clutch housing of the M8000 be rotated? The installers simply trimmed the factory brace for the grille so the lever would rotate back. It is difficult to access through the cutout in the bumper.
DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

So far I am really happy with the outcome. Can't wait to road test.

-DH

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Welcome to ExPo..........!:beer:

Your Lic. Plate just has to be one of the All Time Greatest!

...........hum! ......I'm wondering if we should All get your Number!!!! ....:elkgrin:

EXP-T100

Adventurer
As for the rubbing you need wheel spacers or new Wheels with less back spacing, i think factory wheels are at 4"?? so go to a 3.5" or 3" and no more rubby, My wife 02 taco had the same problem so i put 1.5" wheel spacers on front and rear (rear so it would not look all Baja). You don't need 1.5" spacers, thats just what i had laying around. Good luck, Looken good. O and i would leave the "fender splash guard" just like it is. That will help keep some of the mud and what not from building up under there.

Last edited:

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Offset rims can be a problem on the new Tacos. It looks like you've got enough lift to counter some of them, but I know on our '05 that even after a 2.5" lift I still had to trip some plastic after swapping from the stock wheels to MB Rockers. Moving the tires out really changes the clearances in the fender well.

The easiest way to counter the minor rub you have now is to use a slip over 1/4" spacer vs. a full blown bolt on wheel spacer.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+400330+301078+115+4294906445&autoview=sku

The best way to counter the rubbing is an after market set of upper A-Arms.

http://www.chaosfab.com/96504.html

Mark

DarkHelmet

Adventurer
Thanks for all the replies. I stopped back by the installer's this morning and picked up my old bumper (Craigslist here I come). I am having them check on the bumper pads with ARB. They didn't have any shipped with the bumper. I also asked them about the winch clutch lever and they said that was as good as it gets... :(

The short drive to work this morning went well. It drives nice. A little bit more noise from the tires and a bit rougher on pavement with the knobby tread, but not bad. I had the GPS running to check the speedometer. Looks like I am about 2.5-3 mph low on the speedo vs. actual speed. Not bad, I can live with that. I'll keep an eye on the tire/frame rub and see if I am going to do anything about it.

- DH

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
DarkHelmet said:
1) There is a bit of frame rub and left UCA rub at full lock on the steering. Suggestions on how to correct this or should I even be concerned by it?

2) Front fender "cowling"? The bent them up and zip tied the plastic to the bumper. Is that normal install or should they be removed, cut off, other?

3) ARB Bumper:Isn't supposed to come with some front "bumper" pads that align with the uprights? I see slots for them but they were not included.

4) Winch Clutch Access. Can the clutch housing of the M8000 be rotated? The installers simply trimmed the factory brace for the grille so the lever would rotate back. It is difficult to access through the cutout in the bumper.

So far I am really happy with the outcome. Can't wait to road test.

-DH

1. Your call, but I'd just leave it alone and try and see if you can deal with it. Avoid full lock steering, especially on the trail.

2. I left mine like yours. Helps to keep mud and debris away from the important parts of the truck.

3. Yes - you should have bumper pads.

4. Yes - if you loosen all the allen head bolts, you can pull the head up a very small amount (1/4" or so) and rotate it to the position you like. Just don't lift it off too much!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues