Build Thread!! 6x8 utility trailer with Topper....camper and hauling!

mse871859949

Have gotten a lot done recently. Found a guy on Ebay who sells remnants of metal for a good price and has free shipping on orders over $100. I ordered some milled 5052 .063" aluminum in 6" x 96" strips, 3 1/2" diamond plate corner guards and 2" x 1" aluminum channel for the top of the bed walls. Total cost on the aluminum was about $300. I used Zinc plated screws to avoid galvanic corrosion on the aluminum.

Re-built the doors since the originals were too thick and didn't fit right. I used three sheets of ply because I wanted to salvage what I had in stock...I hope I will be able to use the door handle I ordered.

The New and Improved doors!

mse871859949

It's greening up! I found some new 14" rims on ebay for $65. Got them mounted up today and pulled the trailer out to clean the garage. I'm really happy I went with the aluminum exterior. Next step is getting the topper mounted. I think I will try rigging up a system with my engine hoist...the girlfriend doesn't seem to keen on throwing her back out!

mse871859949

Topper On! Fits pretty well. My box tapers about 1/2" narrow from front to back but it isn't a problem. I used super seal topper tape, it's not foam, it's a rubber cylinder like car door rubber stripping. Seems to have worked very well. I used 3" screws a foot apart to secure the topper to the box, (can't use the C clamps like on a truck bed). As long as the topper itself is waterproof, this thing won't leak at all!

One man lifting solution for topper. Still needed a little bit of manhandling.

buba1

Too much work for sleeping 2

This is too much work for building a trailer that sleeps 2. You could have bought a minivan, put a mattress in the back and sleep with same success and comfort.
Why tow something when towing sucks?
It is your version of a teardrop, kudos for the design and build but at the end of day, sleeping 2 people could have been resolved easier and quicker.

kzam

Observer
This is too much work for building a trailer that sleeps 2. You could have bought a minivan, put a mattress in the back and sleep with same success and comfort.
Why tow something when towing sucks?
It is your version of a teardrop, kudos for the design and build but at the end of day, sleeping 2 people could have been resolved easier and quicker.

Why are you reviving a thread that is two years old just to complain about someone else's design?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach