Build your own camp table.

dirty Bakers

Conservative
2012-01-29_15-18-31_183.jpg
I stole this idea from sierra 4x4 trailers. We really enjoy using this table though its only been on on e campout I use it for different projects as the trailer is sitting in our drive way awaiting new tires. I have another style table in the works and will be posting it soon.

It would be great if we could all post up or link some table builds, vintage camp tables would be cool also.

grimbo

Explorer
Here's mine, cheap and simple. Plank of Pine that was sitting in the shed. It rests on the fender, the jerry can brackets at the back and a piece of wire at the front. Works great, really handy.

Now will make some proper brackets and seal the pine with some protectant
012b4e55-13f8-d998.jpg

dirty Bakers

Conservative
Sweet table. One of the main reasons I have been so set on building my own table is if it doent work or fit my needs then I haven't spent any/much money. So far all my materials have been free. Very nice trailer also, any links to more pictures?

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
T15.JPG

Here is my table. Found a old shelf, sanded, varnished, went to an RV store and got a mount that is used on outside tables for RV's. This allows me to lift up and unhook and store inside of trailer. Added a 2x2 leg so the table is able to hold stove, water, etc,etc with no problems. Total cost was $15.00 for the mount.

lupinsea

Observer
Here is my camp table.

It does double duty as a cargo deck in the back of my Jeep (which was actually it's primary purpose). I got tired of my gear getting jumbled around in the back on the trails so I came up with the cargo deck. Installing folding table legs let it be more functional at camp.

Features:
- Installs without tools via stock seat brackets in ~60 seconds
- Has a grid of threaded inserts for mounting eye bolt tie downs (25 different positions)
- Has "built-in" folding legs w/ spring loaded clips to keep them tucked tite to bottom

The deck is set ~9.5" off the floor of the Jeep so that I can pack some flatter items under it (tents, folding chairs, air matress, tool bag, etc.). Larger items get strapped down to the top via ratchet straps. When I get to the camp it is easy to get the cargo deck out and set it up at the campsite once the rig is unloaded.

P1070725.jpg

Cargo deck in back of Jeep with
items stowed underneath.

shapeimage_4.png

Mounting system to tie into stock
seat brackets.

P1070723.jpg

The underside showing the folding
leg arrangement. The threaded
inserts are more visible, too.

shapeimage_2.png

The Jeep and cargo deck fully loaded up.

shapeimage_5.png

At the campsite.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I gotta say that cargo deck table is one of the best ideas I have seen around here.
Dual purpose is great and you get more bang for your buck.
Can I steal that idea on my buid?

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
M101A2 camping table

I bolted two 1 1/4" hitch receivers under the lip of my trailer to hold a cooking deck.
I use two pieces of angle and the top is made of aluminum diamond Plate This works great
with my vintage Griswold three burner stove or the camp BBQ grill.

Attachments

• DSC05631.JPG
    DSC05631.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 2,282
  • DSC05808.JPG
    DSC05808.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC05809.JPG
    DSC05809.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC05807.JPG
    DSC05807.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 101

lupinsea

Observer
I gotta say that cargo deck table is one of the best ideas I have seen around here.
Dual purpose is great and you get more bang for your buck.
Can I steal that idea on my buid?

Sure. Don't see why not.

It's a nice set up and the whole thing can be removed easily enough. Between camping trips I can easily remove the cargo deck and stick my back seat in the Jeep so it can carry 4 people so I'm not having to compromise thing with a dedicated cargo / drawer system that, effectively, gets bolted into the back of the Jeep. It gives me lots of flexiblity for however I want to use my rig.

I used folding game table legs. You can find them around the interwebz for ~$25 for a set of four. Take a look at the bottom as I had to stagger and nest them to fit. Normally you need a 36" x 36" table otherwise.

Here is my write-up on the Cargo Deck construction

Also, if I were to do it over again I'd look at ways to utilize some "L" track modular cargo tie down system instead of the threaded inserts. The "L" track is used in the aircraft cargo industry and has very easy to use (but very strong) tie down anchors that are spring loaded and snap into place on the track.

I'm helping a friend build a cargo deck for his Wrangler based on this concept. However, his has a forward "bulkhead" that forms an enclosure for his amps and a subwoofer. His cargo deck will sit higher for more under-cargo storage. And it will utilize the "L" track system flush mounted. We were up until 2:30am this morning doing the glue-up of the bulkhead sub box and sides. Once we get the sides on we'll work on the actual cargo deck table itself. I can't wait, It'll have a 1/2" base plywood we'll be anchoring the L track to, then in-filling between the L track with 1/2" plywood filler pieces so everything flushes out. Once we determine where the legs go we'll take the router to the bottom 1/2" layer and see if we can't skeletonize it to shave out some weight.

Oh, and I'm designing a chuck box to compliment the camp table, too. When it unfolds the top of the chuck box will sit at the same height as the table so it, too, can double as additional campsite work surface. I posted other images in the big Chuck Box thread but this is what it looks like.

boxwithinabox.jpg

It was recently cut out on my friend's CNC machine and we're going to make three copies of the chuck box. One for my friend with his own cargo deck system, one for myself, and one for my buddy with the CNC machine. It was pretty cool. To cut another chuck box out we just slapped down another sheet of plywood and hit the "copy" button again. 10-15 minutes later we had another chuck box cut out. And the accuracy is pretty good. Down to a few thousandths of an inch. Can't wait for time to glue up the chuck boxes.

chuckboxcnc7.jpg

Last edited:

alexfm

Explorer
I haven't got any pictures of mine on this computer, but I'll load some up tomorrow. I've got a slide out table in the back of my Cherokee, and a rebuilt folding table too.

dirty Bakers

Conservative
Very cool everyone. Keep em coming. Thanks photomike for the bracket link, I was just thinking about those today.

Friend with CNC machine? Totally not fair, my friends suck!

I use one of the folding coleman stove leg things from wal-mart.

http://www.meijer.com/s/coleman-alu...C.instance01?CAWELAID=895421131&cmpid=goobase

Twenty bucks and the hard part is done. I wouldn't set on it, but I have chair for that.
I made a top for mine out of an aluminum neighborhood watch sign, some aluminum angle and a couple of pins. It all knocks down and stores easy behind the seat.

lupinsea

Observer
I guess this counts as a table, too.

The chuck box is now assembled with the hinges so I could verify everything was working well. It unfolds to form a table 14" x 36". Not huge, and not really big enough for much of a stove but big enough that it's a nice compliment to the cargo deck table. Here it is:

It takes about 15 seconds to go from it's packed state to set up as a table.

In the last photo you can see it set next to the cargo deck table. They're the same height.

progrespic01.jpg

progrespic02.jpg

Aguanga

I guess this counts as a table, too.

The chuck box is now assembled with the hinges so I could verify everything was working well. It unfolds to form a table 14" x 36". Not huge, and not really big enough for much of a stove but big enough that it's a nice compliment to the cargo deck table. Here it is:

It takes about 15 seconds to go from it's packed state to set up as a table.

In the last photo you can see it set next to the cargo deck table. They're the same height.

Awesome execution on the chuck box! I've got the tools, but would love a plan... Any chance you would be willing to make a plan available? You've obviously put some time into this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk