Building a fully enclosed Overland trailer to be towed by a Jeep

OldGreen

Sink, Drain, Faucet, and Grey Tank today. Waiting on a few connectors before I do the plumbing. I'm also going to add an additional 12v plug for the 12v freezer20240119_165004.jpg20240119_172158.jpg

Last edited:

OldGreen

More progress today. Wifey wanted me to hide the toilet when it isn't in use. So, I built the under cabinet shelf and the shelf for the future freezer then I built a sliding door for the 💩er. I will make some fill pa els once the plumbing is done. Waiting on brown Santa to bring me my weather delayed pex fittings. 20240123_120704.jpg20240123_144204.jpg20240123_144216.jpg20240123_144238.jpg

OldGreen

Kitchen is coming along. Job situation caused us to not to our big Mexico trip this year so I took some time for some upgrades. Today I laid out the drinking water system using the same type of jug I use for Grey water with a little USB pump. I also tied down the coffee machine, velcroed in the GMRS charger, mounted a new kitchen light with a dimmer and red mode and stuck the fire extinguisher to the wall. Next will be the freezer and trim work/decorating. Of course...using it as much as humanly possible.20240310_152111.jpg20240310_152204.jpg20240310_152903.jpg20240310_153452.jpg20240310_163950.jpg20240310_164704.jpg20240310_165350.jpg

OldGreen

Is the interior 8020 mostly 10 series (1") or one of the metric versions? and how do you like that L'OR Barista?
10 series. The coffee machine works great but it is BIG. My Nespresso mini finally KTB after 4 years of off road abuse. The L'OR also makes full cups of ☕️ so it stays.

Reactions: plh

OldGreen

So, I boxed in the AC and cut a hole in the side of the trailer for the condenser intake. Pics are mirro images because my rear facing camera is broken on my camera.

The AC is primarily for the dog so we can leave him in the trailer while we go to lunch in town when it is hot. Therefore, it HAS to work without being plugged in to shore power. The math looked decent, but the real world is everything....

Result: in full shade with zero power input, the AC cooled the trailer from 75° to 65° in 20 minutes and it used 7% of the battery at about 40 to 42 12v DC amps on high. So, if it is sunny, the pup could hang out inside all day if necessary as long as we aren't trying to cool down more than 30°. We charge at about 31 amps in full sun. Bottom line = it works and works WELL. Probably as important is that the AC cost like 65 bucks on marketplace and not $2k like a DC unit.Snapchat-1244198145.jpgSnapchat-153424520.jpg

What is that adjustment vent, you ask? It will become the duct for the diesel heater I don't have yet. I will just sit the heater on the rock slider and run the hose through the AC intake 🕳. That's a fall project to complete. I only need heat when it is below freezing.Snapchat-411745779.jpg

tonydca

LOL I was about to ask where you got an "ABIHZOT" brand AC unit - until I read your comment about the broken camera. D'Oh!!

Excellent-looking build, and it looks like you are making lots of good memories with it!

Two questions if you don't mind:

- Do you find it's not too claustrophobic or close-quarters going on longer trips in a rig with a low roof? (aka no standing head room). I see many benefits to a low-roof like yours, but wonder whether it gets tiresome after a while.

- I never noticed any details on your panel construction - did you end up vacuum-bagging FRP panels with epoxy over foam internal panels? If so, would you mind sharing where you sourced the raw materials?

Thanks!

OldGreen

LOL I was about to ask where you got an "ABIHZOT" brand AC unit - until I read your comment about the broken camera. D'Oh!!

Excellent-looking build, and it looks like you are making lots of good memories with it!

Two questions if you don't mind:

- Do you find it's not too claustrophobic or close-quarters going on longer trips in a rig with a low roof? (aka no standing head room). I see many benefits to a low-roof like yours, but wonder whether it gets tiresome after a while.

- I never noticed any details on your panel construction - did you end up vacuum-bagging FRP panels with epoxy over foam internal panels? If so, would you mind sharing where you sourced the raw materials?

Thanks!
Ceiling is 6'2" and I am a towering 5'8". So, no slouching. The materials and sources are in the first few pages of the thread. 2mm GRP with gelcoat on one side. Marine epoxy and 40lb hard foam insulation. The blue kind from a local industrial supply place. The huge roll of GRP came from...uh... somebody in the Carolinas. Except foe the electrical system, it was the most expensive part of the build. $2k plus. It's either somewhere in this thread or in Sawtooth's. The epoxy is from Amazon.

It's been from Jasper, Alberta, to Loreto, Baja California Sur and we just love it. Leaving for Colorado on Sunday. Of course, it has been there before. 🙃

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears