Building My Overland Tacoma: Plans, Progress, Perplexions

Overland Hadley

on a journey
just tried your link and the site says no blade for this vehicle. :(

It is strange that it does not give the blades for the Tacoma, must be an error. You could look through the other vehicles and find a 21" and 22" blade. I ended up ordering mine from Amazon, but found that a bit frustrating.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
For me, the Silblades have been working great. Hope they work out as well for you.

I have heard nothing but good reviews about them. FourbyLand said he would drive in the rain just to enjoy using them.

I gave them a test run yesterday, they wiped the windshield squeaky clean.

fatrat

SE Expedition Society
New SilBlade wipers have arrived.

silblade.com

Keep us posted on how these work. My Bosch Evolution blades have worked pretty well for about 2 years however they will need to be replaced soon with either the SilBlade or Scrublade.

Everybody has a favorite duffel, and this is mine.

The Long Haul Duffel made by Gregory.

Link to Gregory.

Thanks for the link I have been looking for a new duffel and this one looks pretty interesting especially for the $$$.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Thanks for the link I have been looking for a new duffel and this one looks pretty interesting especially for the $$$.

No problem.

I have worked with a lot of dry bags, so I hold my duffels to a high level of quality. A duffel in my opinion needs to be simple, easy to pack, and made with high quality materials and workmanship.

fatrat

SE Expedition Society
No problem.

I have worked with a lot of dry bags, so I hold my duffels to a high level of quality. A duffel in my opinion needs to be simple, easy to pack, and made with high quality materials and workmanship.

This is the other duffel I am considering:
930_2a.jpg

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Ortlieb-Dry-Bag-Duffel-Bags-p-17175.html

Overland Hadley

on a journey
After accessing the ways that I have gotten stuck or had to turn around in the past, and looking at the roads that I plan to be traveling in the future I decided that sand/bridging ladders would be good to carry.

I know some people think of sand ladders as simply expedition bling, but I put a lot of thought and research into the decision to carry them, and I think they could be very useful.

Waffle boards have many purposes-
-sand/mud/snow/ice extraction
-bridging ladders
-roof rack floor
-shower floor
-sleeping platform extension
-table (planning to make a table that extends in a L shape from the tailgate)
If you can think of other uses I would enjoy hearing them.

I bought them in a custom size to fit the floor of my roof rack.

Bought from Norman Klapper, information listed below.

Norman Klapper
info@pecboulder.com
Ebay vendor: infopec
2" FIBERGLASS MOLDED GRATING, VINYLESTER RESIN

Even though he does not have anything up on ebay, he can still supply them.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I will be out on the road for the next two months.

If you see me stop and say hi.

For everybody else I will see you on the other side.

:safari-rig:

-N

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Nathan,

The sand ladders look great, as soon as I saw you posted them my first thought was how they would look great mounted to the inside of the tailgate (depending on the size of course).

Also, you quoted me regarding the silblades and I just wanted to say congrats on a wise yet simple investment, I am sitting on 4 years with the same set and just recently noticed a patch on the lower passenger side that isn't clearing, otherwise they have been outstanding.

Be safe on the road!

Louis

daverami

Explorer
Be safe, have a great trip. I'll be looking forward to an awesome trip report and your, as usual, great photos.

David

fatrat

SE Expedition Society
Travel safe and as mentioned above, looking forward to seeing pics of your travels.:smiley_drive:

Josh

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Be safe on the road!

Louis

Be safe, have a great trip. I'll be looking forward to an awesome trip report and your, as usual, great photos.

David

Travel safe and as mentioned above, looking forward to seeing pics of your travels.:smiley_drive:

Josh

Hi guys, I'm back!

Thanks for the kind words, it was a safe and amazing journey.We experienced incredible roads and explored some remote country. We traveled through Utah, New Mexico and Colorado, covering 6,000 miles. I am interested in how little we drove, as last spring we put on over 10,000 miles.

It was fun to randomly run into some of you. Hi to those I met on the road.

The rig averaged 18-18.5 mpg drinking premium. Not bad for a Tacoma weighting approximately 6,000 pounds. But do I ever wish I drove a diesel, mpg should be in the mid to high twenties for a medium sized truck.

90% of the nights were spent sleeping in the topper, the sleeping platform worked great. The other nights were spent in a tent.

For the first time mice were a big problem. We had a couple of frustrating nights and lost some food due to the little critters. Problem was solved when we bought Cayenne pepper and sprinkled it across the bumper and around the drawer fronts. The pepper led to a couple of funny sneezing attacks, and one scary incident when the wind was really strong and pepper got in my eyes. I thought my face was on fire.

Just a word about cost. Once you have the equipment you need, traveling can be very inexpensive. The average cost was $21.00 per person (for two people) per day. That covers everything-gas, food, camping, drive from MN, maps etc. It helped that gas was almost half the price that it was last spring. But still, if you have the gear, GO!

I have some fun rig shots that I will post up, but right now I am swamped. I will slowly get to them and post them as I go.

Thanks to everybody here who has helped guide me in building my Tacoma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy