Built a roof rack for the Zoo.

ZooJunkie

Explorer
I'm planning on waterproofing the wood this week, and painting the cross members with herculiner. As for the distance between each wooden supports, it's 6 1/32.

Oh yah, if any of you guys are interested, I have a pair of Surco Tr-100 roof supports for sale. I don't need them, since I had to buy two sets, for a total of 6 supports, I'm left w/ 2. If you want them let me know. $25 shipped.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
ZooJunkie said:
Faring is made of lexan, pricey but worth it. They typically last longer than plexiglass and does not crack as easily. It measures 48"x12".093".

That is an interesting solution for a custom fairing. I've been wanting to come up with something for my set-up as well.

I've never worked with Lexan but I'm familiar with the product. Does it cut and shape easily? Seems like you could make a cardboard template and then cut some Lexan to match with a miter saw....? What kind of stores carry Lexan....?

ZooJunkie

Explorer
kcowyo said:
That is an interesting solution for a custom fairing. I've been wanting to come up with something for my set-up as well.

I've never worked with Lexan but I'm familiar with the product. Does it cut and shape easily? Seems like you could make a cardboard template and then cut some Lexan to match with a miter saw....? What kind of stores carry Lexan....?
I got my piece at OSH. :)

However, Tap-Plastic has them, and perhaps Home DePOT.

As for cutting lexan, a utility knife and lots of pressure will cut lexan, if it's as thick as mine, you'll need to score it several times. A miter saw would make a mess and more headache for you, I would use a knife. As for shaping, it's very easy. I shaped my corners with heat and a block of wood underneath it. Don't heat it up too quickly or it will bubble, apply pressure as you are heating it, and it'll form the shape you are trying to mold.

Incusus

Adventurer
ZooJunkie said:
I'm planning on waterproofing the wood this week, and painting the cross members with herculiner. As for the distance between each wooden supports, it's 6 1/32.

Oh yah, if any of you guys are interested, I have a pair of Surco Tr-100 roof supports for sale. I don't need them, since I had to buy two sets, for a total of 6 supports, I'm left w/ 2. If you want them let me know. $25 shipped.

Thanks for the measurement! I'm interested in the supports. I'll pm you. :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal