Bullfrog ver. 3.0 2001 Ford Excursion

coastalcop

Well bullfrog 1.0 was a converted silverado with toolbed/popup that was fun but to short for me to sleep in comfortably (sold it to a wildland firefighter who was significantly shorter than I am).

Bullfrog 2.0 was a 2020 Ford F-250 7.3 gasser that I tried to make as close to an excursion as possible (camper shell, pass-through to cab, drawer system , etc. ) However with the current shortage of new and easily lendable vehicles, I was made an offer I couldnt refuse on the F-250 (basically drove it for free aside from fuel for the year I owned it). Everything is for sale if the price is right ;)

That left me without a camp/hunt/explore rig. So the search began again (not that I mind, I enjoy the search almost as much as the builds). I figured if I put all that effort into trying to make an f-250 do an excursions job. Why not go with the original? Well research is your friend to reading every thread I could here, and on several other forums, I was minimally armed with knowledge :) .

Diesel is still voodoo to me, and I didnt want to have to go to studs etc on the 6.0 powerstroke. The 7.3 is a good engine, and I know a couple of folks that know their way around them that I can bribe with beer for help, but sheesh they want a mint for them (and rightfully so for a well maintained one). So gasser it is.

Searched out the issues with the 2v v-10 and found the Cal-Van repair kits and the associated you tube vids, and felt that if needed, that was a repair I had the tools and skill for.

Heck I even went to rockauto and put about every part I could in my cart aside from engine, transmission, and differentials to get a ballpark of repairs if I missed everything on an inspection.... about 4000 bucks, ok thats doable, less than it would cost to bulletproof a 6.0, and less than the cost differential between a 7.3 and a v10 gasser. Not that I bought all those parts, just wanted an idea of cost / availability.

Now to find an excursion, the usual places, here, autotrader, ebay, craigslist. More than a few options, I finally found the right one for me. 2001 v-10 4x4, XLT box stock (at purchase) with extensive service records, and a life history that included 10 months when new in Connecticut and the remainder of its life in El Paso, so no rust anywhere, and I didnt need the leather interior.

I called in a favor, had my buddy drive me 200 miles to inspect and purchase the ride, handed over a smaller wad of cash than I originally budgeted for ( I didnt argue the asking price at all as I history for new plugs, coil packs, injectors, and reman transmission in the last 3 years/ 15000k miles and 75% tread on AT tires) and drove it back home (averaging around 14mpg at 78 mph) .

The next day I hooked up a trailer, picked up a buddies two BMW (1200GS, and 1100RT) motorcycles and hauled them 200 miles to his mechanic, that time I only averaged 12.6 mpg at 80-85 mph.

Once back home I did attack the few things that it did need, and few things that I wanted it to need ;) . So new headlights (I tried to get the yellowing out of the lense, but mediocre success), new manual tow mirrors, new wiper blades. Pulled the stock stereo (Wow , CD and Cassette player!) for a crutchfield unit so I could wire in a backup camera.

Pulled the center console out and replaced it with the Setpower electric cooler I had for the f-250. But gotta move those electrons, so after a few measurements two 50W flex solar panels were fitted to the hood and run through a power controller to the battery (may go to dual battery setup in the future) and a wind defector attached to the hood ( the VHB 3m tape should hold the panels ) to deflect wind off the leading edge of the panels.

Now just sit there and look for a minute, and determine needs. Sleeping room for me (6'3" 190lbs) mainly with room for expansion if needed, seating for three (empty nester, but want to carry at least a couple folks if needed) cooking, carrying, and comfort as I can, and reuse what I can from the previous build and materials on hand.

So step one, pull the third row seats, that wasnt so bad, now pull the 60% second row seat..... WOOSH that thing must be made of lead, and measure. Yup thats wide enough for me and certainly long enough to make a sleeping platform. A few measurements and off to the workshop to see what is still laying around from other projects. Lucky me, I still have a full sheet of 1/2 inch starboard left, so a few cuts a couple of rivnuts and I have a perfectly smooth sleeping platform ( I still have to cut the top of the platform for storage of seldom used items) .

Look over the drawer system we built for the f-250, and I can make 60% of it work. test fit the bed and I can fit a 60 quart cooler at the rear barn doors with plenty of room to spare. With the 40% seat pushed into the load position I can pivot off the bed and have a place to put my feet/ get dressed, great.

But what about those barn doors??? Pull off the panels and WOW there is a lot of space there, so plans for storage of stove, drop down table, perhaps a sink with flexible water storage are in the works .

Oh, and thats the bed on the roof, removed from test fitting at that time.

A few starter pics and more on the way as it progresses, but I've got to say, it sure is nice to start with MORE room than you need !bullfrog3.jpgsolar.jpgsolar.jpgplatform start.jpgmeasurements.jpg

Last edited:

coastalcop

On the third coast! So learned a couple of things, While solar and the singular battery will run the fridge 24/7, whodathunkit?, the solar panels actually require light !!! Seriously though I was testing and knew it was going to be pretty overcast for a couple days, and parked in the shade. About 40 hours of this did drain the battery enough to require the jump pack, so perhaps a dual battery setup ( or turn off the fridge when not in use) is in order. Still checking measurements and storage solutions E3AFAE49-ABD7-462A-82A7-CA29E810C710.jpegE3AFAE49-ABD7-462A-82A7-CA29E810C710.jpegE3AFAE49-ABD7-462A-82A7-CA29E810C710.jpegDFD7337D-BFD2-43D1-A7DC-12D46706E6E9.jpegD14D1498-C9CE-4603-AA0E-5AFC61873D80.jpegE09F39E1-B785-4F8D-BBE6-D7BFB18A7421.jpegE3AFAE49-ABD7-462A-82A7-CA29E810C710.jpegDFD7337D-BFD2-43D1-A7DC-12D46706E6E9.jpegD14D1498-C9CE-4603-AA0E-5AFC61873D80.jpegE09F39E1-B785-4F8D-BBE6-D7BFB18A7421.jpegE3AFAE49-ABD7-462A-82A7-CA29E810C710.jpegE3AFAE49-ABD7-462A-82A7-CA29E810C710.jpeg

cjthing

Fellow V10 Excursion owner here, looks great so far! Keep us updated, I'm about to cut the inside of the rear barn doors myself as there is a lot of storage to be had there. The current situation of shoving random stuff in the factory openings doesn't work all that well...

cjthing

Just realized you put a fridge in place of the center console. Any more pics or details on the fridge and install? It looks like you had to remove the passenger armrest but can't be sure.

Again looks great!

coastalcop

I got it on amazon, it will fit TIGHTLY with both armrests, but I took the passenger armrest off for more clearance. Sits at a great height for an armrest. I did remove the center console and the 12v outlet that resides there was used to power the fridge. Install isnt complete yet as it is only held in by weight at this time. May try to use the existing holes in the truck and match to cooler. works great!

found here :

mmrocek

Observer
@coastalcop That does look great - also a fellow V10 Excursion owner here (IG @fullsizetouring) - couple questions: the fridge does not have a safety voltage cut off? That way the fridge powers off prior to the battery losing enough power to drain the singular battery. If yours does not have that, I would look into getting an external one () Cheaper than a dual battery setup and a second battery. And the other question, what mat is that? I am looking to sleep in my truck and that mat looks like it fits perfectly. Thanks!

coastalcop

Still working on the charge controller shutoff, the fridge does have a shutoff, however for testing it is set to highest consumption rate and lowest voltage shutoff. It was originally installed in my 250 that had dual batteries , may still go to dual batts in this one, fun workin progress.

The mattress can be found here :
I ordered 2 of them as that was the available space in the f250 and the sectioned drawers allowed me to use them side by side if camping with the missus or stacked with half the drawers removed if solo camping/hunting.

In this build I am using them stacked and still working on a two person solution I like. Stacked its ultra comfy and with the 40% seat forward I can pivot off the bed and put my feet down in that well between the seat and the black drawers you see. This allows me to put on boots and sit up completely straight without issue ( I am 6'3" and long torsoed for reference)

I used 1/2 inch starboard to build the platform, it rests on the same ledge that the fold down section (to create a flat surface ) of the 2nd row seats did and extended to just shy of the front drivers seat . You could use 1/2 inch plywood as well (though sheesh at lumber prices you may as well use gold ;) . blocking is approx 6" at the drivers seat end and between 5 3/4 and 5 inches the farther back you move . It is secured in place by two rivnuts placed at the ledge level equally spaced .

A little bad obsession motorsport CAD was used in the final framing (thats cardboard aided design to those that havent followed project Binky and if you havent, look it up on youtube, and schedule a day to catch up)

Still to do on the platform is cut the access panels to store rarely used items (tool kit, plug kit, recovery gear, emergency clothing , etc. )

Hope this helps

cjthing

Thanks for the info, appreciate it! I was curious about the fridge killing the battery as well if it does have a voltage cutoff, your explanation makes perfect sense.

Would love to see more detailed pics of the fridge fitment as a center console, have been considering doing something similar for a while now. I have an older Edgestar fridge that lives in the rear but with no voltage cutoff I have been considering a change.

Keep up the good work!

coastalcop

Another weekend and got some more done. had a sheet of 1/8 ABS hanging around from another project. Lots of folks make a fold down table in the barn doors of the Ex and I may do that in the future, however I wanted to get some more storage space so out came the ABS and the trim cutter

Attachments

• barn 1.jpg
    barn 1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 37
  • barn 2.jpg
    barn 2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 38
  • barn 3.jpg
    barn 3.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 36
  • barn cut 2.jpg
    barn cut 2.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 36
  • barn cut.jpg
    barn cut.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 34

coastalcop

Had to go back and and make a door in the sleeping platform , might add an inverter there , going to have to look at cooling requirements first.

Attachments

• door in.jpg
    door in.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 15

coastalcop

Then in the best Bad Obsession motorsports fashion I started doing some CAD

Attachments

• cad design.jpg
    cad design.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 10
  • cad 2.jpg
    cad 2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 10

coastalcop

Take that design , score some ABS heat, bend, and viola cubby next to the sleeping platform (still need to really lock down heating requirements for 1/8 ABS. More to come

Attachments

• cubby scored 2.jpg
    cubby scored 2.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 20
  • cubby scored 3.jpg
    cubby scored 3.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 25
  • cubby installed.jpg
    cubby installed.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 25

coastalcop

Going to post pics of the V2 cubby probably later today. I should never go down the you tube rabbit hole. I caught a few vids on 80/20 extrusion and the kid in me said "OK, lets see what we can do !" McMaster Carr , amazon, setting up my Saw with a jig, and now Im looking at replacing the storage currently in the Ex with a tiered system. 3D plans rotating in the brain case.

The kid makes a few mistakes (And to his credit owns up to them and doesnt quit) but watch Seven O Savage on youtube at your own risk (or your wallets) , he is on his second sprinter build and can tie up hours of your time.... then your wallet when something like 80/20 catches your eye ( though for my requirements 2020 metric extrusion is going to work fine based on deflection calculators) .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk