Burn_e's 1990 RRC

burn_e

Adventurer
Hello Forum fellows. Today I'll take the plunge and share some pics of my 1990 RRC (GCC Spec).

Driveway pics - I know, but the great outdoors are not useable these days.

P070810_1723.jpg

P070810_1724.jpg

P070810_1723_02.jpg

P070810_1724_01.jpg

burn_e

Adventurer
Was not completely idle - dispite the soaring heat these days:

After finishing off troubles with the A/C (very weak performance), Starter (iffy wiring) and the Radiator (recored) tackled a couple of projects which make the car more usuable for the upcoming trips.

First one: Aux temp gauge

Here the positioning of the gauge. Cabletied it on the vent duct for the time being. Did figure out a better place so far.
P300710_1025_02.jpg

Here's the sensor unit placed in the upper cooling hose. Give pretty accurate readings (+-2degree)
P300710_1025.jpg

burn_e

Adventurer
Next was an attempt to tweak the A/C to its highest levels. One of the things done was the covering of all pipes with isulation material:

P300710_1024_02.jpg

P300710_1024_03.jpg

you can't use to much of it... :up

burn_e

Adventurer
The on-board-air-project

Well basicly its a hard wired compressor to inflate the tyres after the desert runs.

Its mounted under the driver seat and accessed through the little hatch on the frontside of the driver seat. Have a spiral hose permanently connected to the compressor which stores neatly under the seat. Just have to connect a switch to it to operate it from the dash - not required but convenient and cool.

The white box on the seat mount is a fuse box which will allow me to connect further applications from there. Thought its a good place - hidden, accessable and central.

P300710_1024.jpg

P300710_1024_01.jpg

Last edited:

burn_e

Adventurer
The worked continued:

Got the tie downs for the luggage installed:

19122010005.jpg

19122010008.jpg

19122010006.jpg

19122010007.jpg

Solved the missing cupholder situation:

19122010011.jpg

19122010010.jpg

And added a solid rcovery point for the front:

19122010009.jpg

Already a while there, the new roofrack (Front Runner):

IMG_8775.jpg

IMG_8774.jpg

Last edited:

Thor

Observer
hey burn e,

I tried to chase you down on RR.net... about your rack.. I'll try here.

I'm thinking of that rack also...PLEASE.. may I have the exact rack model? Is your truck SWB or LWB? Leg height? height from rain gutter where the leg sits in the groove to the bottom and top of the rack?

my gutter is 73" off the ground and I have 82" garage door max height so I have to squeeze the rack into that gap.

Why the custom legs do they offer shorter? Would they fit and have the rack clear the RR's roof?

Inquiring minds! Your application looks awesome!

Thanks in advance!

burn_e

Adventurer
hey burn e,

I tried to chase you down on RR.net... about your rack.. I'll try here.

I'm thinking of that rack also...PLEASE.. may I have the exact rack model? Is your truck SWB or LWB? Leg height? height from rain gutter where the leg sits in the groove to the bottom and top of the rack?

my gutter is 73" off the ground and I have 82" garage door max height so I have to squeeze the rack into that gap.

Why the custom legs do they offer shorter? Would they fit and have the rack clear the RR's roof?

Inquiring minds! Your application looks awesome!

Thanks in advance!

Ok, assuming you are asking for the silver roof rack:

Frontrunner Windcheetha (initially from a D90) so the legs that came along were very long.

The legs here are 16,5 cm (front and end) and 15 cm (center) high, considering the curve of the rain gutter. Very important since most Roofracks will have a even lay out which will put a lot of tension into the roof construction.

From groove of gutter to the top (measured in the center) will give me a height of 23 cm. The clearance between highest point of the roof and roofrack is about 5cm. You shouldn't go much lower since this rack have a certain flex when loaded.

Thor

Observer
Ok, assuming you are asking for the silver roof rack:

Frontrunner Windcheetha (initially from a D90) so the legs that came along were very long.

The legs here are 16,5 cm (front and end) and 15 cm (center) high, considering the curve of the rain gutter. Very important since most Roofracks will have a even lay out which will put a lot of tension into the roof construction.

From groove of gutter to the top (measured in the center) will give me a height of 23 cm. The clearance between highest point of the roof and roofrack is about 5cm. You shouldn't go much lower since this rack have a certain flex when loaded.

thanks for the information! I really appreciate your time measuring

Looks like 23cm is about 9" and that is exactly how much room I have into the garage. I'd better measure the center like you did just to be sure. I think I'll have a closer look at the rack! now that it looks promising.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat