Burying gray water?

wicked1

How much gray water are people generating? We follow general backpacking rules. Which is we use biodegradable soap, minimum quantities, and minimum water for everything. We don't make more than a gallon or so a day. And........ It goes right onto the ground, no matter where we are. We have an external shower, and that goes onto the ground, too.

I did install a gray water tank.. and if I do feel the need to use it for some reason, I typically drain it on the way out of camp.. I don't camp at camp sites. So, I'm just leaking a couple of gallons of water down a couple miles of unused dirt road. I don't see how it could be a problem.

How people poop.. That is apparently a problem. Because the couple times I did have to stay at a public camp ground, it was disgusting.. They even have vault toilets, but apparently everyone still poo's 10 feet from their tent and buries it about 1 inch underground.. which then gets uncovered. And even out where I usually camp, in the middle of nowhere, I often find toilet paper sticking out of the ground or blowing around.

wicked1

Guys, my rant was mainly about pouring water out in the Mark Twain Forest.

I'm w/ you on your forest service rant. Their hypocrisy is more vast than the lands they manage.
I hear stories of the super nature loving rangers closing down camp sites and trails because us bad campers are messing up a little piece of nature.
But then I drive away from the curated section of forest and see the mine that was just allowed, or see the clear cut logging. See the incredible number of cattle destroying the land, eating the precious plants the native animals should have. Hear the constant hum of gas pumps. And then really... I lose all respect for them.
This is OUR land, and I treat it better than the rest of the forest services clients. Forget them and their closing roads and camp sites to campers, while opening them up to ranchers and loggers..

Ranger to Camper.. "Do not drive off the roads. It does incredible damage that takes decades to recover from"
Ranger to gas company.. "Yeah, go ahead and put in a grid pattern of roads across the entire desert, ever 1/4 mile, so you can get your drilling rigs in there and dig up some pollution"

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I'm w/ you on your forest service rant. Their hypocrisy is more vast than the lands they manage.
I hear stories of the super nature loving rangers closing down camp sites and trails because us bad campers are messing up a little piece of nature.
But then I drive away from the curated section of forest and see the mine that was just allowed, or see the clear cut logging. See the incredible number of cattle destroying the land, eating the precious plants the native animals should have. Hear the constant hum of gas pumps. And then really... I lose all respect for them.
This is OUR land, and I treat it better than the rest of the forest services clients. F them and their closing roads and camp sites to campers, while opening them up to ranchers and loggers..

Ranger to Camper.. "Do not drive off the roads. It does incredible damage that takes decades to recover from"
Ranger to gas company.. "Yeah, go ahead and put in a grid pattern of roads across the entire desert, ever 1/4 mile, so you can get your drilling rigs in there and dig up some pollution"
Remember, we are a capitalistic nation driven by creating wealth, not by moral, ethical or humanitarian goals.
Any Ranger you would meet out in the wild isn't the guy responsible for granting commercial uses for government owned lands. I can understand Rangers getting testy about their duties when they know the rest of the place is being destroyed.

I don't have any recreational experience in desert areas, but I did stay at a Holiday inn near Phoenix, Az.

I have similar thoughts when I see a Cop driving 45 in a 30mph speed zone with his lights off. The Cop's justification is "I'm on official business" and most likely that official business is 1. saving time on his break to a coffee shop, or 2. getting back to the station to get off shift.

ReluctantTraveler

How people poop.. That is apparently a problem. Because the couple times I did have to stay at a public camp ground, it was disgusting.. They even have vault toilets, but apparently everyone still poo's 10 feet from their tent and buries it about 1 inch underground.. which then gets uncovered. And even out where I usually camp, in the middle of nowhere, I often find toilet paper sticking out of the ground or blowing around.

That is utterly insane! What the heck is wrong with people!?!

Reactions: plh

Bama67

I can easily believe you could drop a dump right on the ground in 1957 as back then most people disposed of old motor oil by pouring it in a hole or on an ant hill. lol

plh

Explorer
I have similar thoughts when I see a Cop driving 45 in a 30mph speed zone with his lights off. The Cop's justification is "I'm on official business" and most likely that official business is 1. saving time on his break to a coffee shop, or 2. getting back to the station to get off shift.

It is probably just habit. My BIL (retired State Cop) quoted: Everybody speeds period. A few get caught.

wicked1

I have surface pooped at a festival. (Technically a big outdoor rave.. back in the 90's :) )
People gotta poo. And festival goers aren't allowed to bring shovels. And organizers don't seem to ever have a concept of how much people poo so porta potties are always overflowing. Good times... I guess? (seemed like it at the time)

Trailwerx

Differences Between Human & Animal Manure | Pets on Mom.com
"Fertilization
Horse, cow, goat, sheep and rabbit manure can be used as a means of fertilization. Because these animals are all plant-eaters, their manure is high in nutrients and organic matter, which can help stimulate the growth of crops and grass. For example, cow manure can be used as a top dressing for crops and for soil improvement. According to Plantea.com, anywhere from 75 percent to 90 percent of the plant nutrients fed to animals are excreted in their manure. Manure of meat-eating animals such as dogs (and humans) should not be used as fertilizer because it can contain harmful bacteria and parasites."
I added the red bit.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Well, I happen to be a vegetarian but believe me, you wouldn't want me top dressing your crops.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Is it OK to flush my radiator on the ground, it's just water and antifreeze?

That practice is generally frowned upon, I believe, mainly because the puddle of antifreeze sitting on the ground, before it sinks into the dirt, could draw the attention of an animal due to its sweet smell. There have been dozens and dozens of cases of domestic dogs and cats poisoned and killed by licking up spilled antifreeze. I imagine the same probability unfortunately exists with animals in the wild!

ReluctantTraveler

That practice is generally frowned upon, I believe, mainly because the puddle of antifreeze sitting on the ground, before it sinks into the dirt, could draw the attention of an animal due to its sweet smell. There have been dozens and dozens of cases of domestic dogs and cats poisoned and killed by licking up spilled antifreeze. I imagine the same probability unfortunately exists with animals in the wild!

I don’t believe the potable antifreeze used in RVs is lethal the same way car antifreeze is. But it still probably isn’t good for animals to ingest.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I don’t believe the potable antifreeze used in RVs is lethal the same way car antifreeze is. But it still probably isn’t good for animals to ingest.
I think you’re right about that anti-freeze being different. The question posed above was regarding antifreeze from the “radiator“. That would be the poisonous stuff if it’s the usual product used in motor vehicles.

The RV antifreeze that isn’t poisonous, to my knowledge, is the stuff you use to put in your camper’s sinks and toilet to keep the pipes from freezing.

I’m not familiar with whether they have a non-toxic antifreeze for the engines of vehicles. Perhaps someone with more knowledge on that subject can chime in here?

ReluctantTraveler

I think you’re right about that anti-freeze being different. The question posed above was regarding antifreeze from the “radiator“. That would be the poisonous stuff.

The RV antifreeze that isn’t poisonous, to my knowledge, is the stuff you used to put in your sinks and toilet to keep the pipes from freezing. I’m not familiar with whether they have a non-toxic antifreeze for the engine of vehicles. Perhaps someone with more knowledge on that can chime in here?
Good catch! Missed that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle