Buy a good tent!

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I am kind of intriqued with the oz tent. You have to get out of traditional tent mentality on this one. It has an internal frame that is semi folding. It is literally up in about 30 seconds and has a large external awning. with optional screen room.
http://oztent.com

Perfect to put on a roof rack since it is only about 30lbs. Kind of a cross between a ground tent and roof tent. I have sen it in person , that is why I may get one by the end of the year. If not that then a new sierra designs tent I love their stuff.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Jonathan Hanson said:
Incidentally, Baja, I didn't see your last question about Stephenson bags. Yes, I did try one, and a friend actually bought one. Beautifully made, but just plain clammy outside of a very narrow temperature range.

Interesting! Thanks for the review comments.

bh4rnnr

Adventurer
Nullifier said:
I am kind of intriqued with the oz tent. You have to get out of traditional tent mentality on this one. It has an internal frame that is semi folding. It is literally up in about 30 seconds and has a large external awning. with optional screen room.
http://oztent.com

Perfect to put on a roof rack since it is only about 30lbs. Kind of a cross between a ground tent and roof tent. I have sen it in person , that is why I may get one by the end of the year. If not that then a new sierra designs tent I love their stuff.

I have the microfast oz tent. Have the three person tent. Have used it quit a bit this year. Once in January when we went to Capital Reef National Park. Held up to the cold weather. Was hard at first to figure out how it went back together but am getting the hang of it. For the price and quality of the tent, is hard to beat

Attachments

• cm_cotton.jpg
    cm_cotton.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 112
  • PB101026.jpg
    PB101026.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 8
  • PB101048.jpg
    PB101048.jpg
    555.9 KB · Views: 7
  • PB101034.jpg
    PB101034.jpg
    517.9 KB · Views: 7

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Umkay, maybe it's just me but what's the white stuff? Snow? Looks like bubbles to me.

Attachments

• 3196.jpg
    3196.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 0

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The BN Guy said:
Umkay, maybe it's just me but what's the white stuff? Snow? Looks like bubbles to me.

That white crap is the reason I don't live in Colorado anymore. You definately don't want to mess with it...nasty, nasty stuff.

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Yeah but when it's 100+ during the day and 90's at night...well, it gets a bit stifling. Snow may be messy but you can always put more clothing on.

Down here it's not a matter of staying warm but being as cool as possible. I run hot to begin with.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
bh4rnnr said:
I have the microfast oz tent. Have the three person tent. Have used it quit a bit this year.

Cool! I was wondering how those were. I like the fast setup. How is condensation with it?

JH, I saw an advertisement in Adventure Sports magazine for Hilleberg Tentmakers These look like fantastic tents and remind me a bit of the Stephenson models. Did you by any chance get to try one of them out? Makes me want to get a new solo tent...

Note to Scott: Hey Scott, try to use the "orngartis" smiley - it doesn't work too good

MaddBaggins

Explorer
I have 3 different tents depending on the circumstances
a Sierra Designs Flashlight- 4lbs I use this when I am sleeping alone, it holds me and all my backpacking gear and has withstood 4 straight days of pounding rain in the Gila wilderness and an elk tripped over it once(I'll save that story for later)
a Sierra Designs Comet CD- almost 7lbs this is a 4 season tent that I use for winter packing trips were I will be sharing a tent. This one has been thru some high winds, lots of rain and snowstorms, very cold nights and 2 really big dudes inside. Good tent
a REI Taj 3- almost 8lbs this is the family carcamping tent. It hasn't yet been thru anything to extreme yet but seems to be a fairly sturdy model

I've had the Comet CD for probably 8yrs and the Flashlight for a little less than that and the Taj 3 for 3 years

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Baja . . .yes, I tried a Keron 3 GT a couple years back, when Hilleberg was just entering the U.S. market seriously. I liked it a lot, especially the huge sit-in/cook-in vestibule. Quality is top-notch. Fiendishly expensive, however, from a competition perspective..

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Can Somebody Please draw me a HOT BATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Img0050lg.jpg

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Is that guy for real or is it photoshopped? Yes I'm that niave.

Attachments

• DSC_0019.jpg
    DSC_0019.jpg
    543.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0028.jpg
    DSC_0028.jpg
    527 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0039.jpg
    DSC_0039.jpg
    555.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0036.jpg
    DSC_0036.jpg
    542.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0931.jpg
    DSC_0931.jpg
    605.8 KB · Views: 0
S

Scenic WonderRunner

Hi BN......

OK.....

One thing I'm NOT into.....is trickery......just to set the record straight....hehe

so......here is the tent website I found that pic at.

I thought it was just such a Kewl shot....and we are talking about tents.....that I would simply share what I had found.

This pic really stirs the emotions.....doesn't it?

Hey!......here is another really Kewl shot!

Img0034lg.jpg

Linkey:http://www.hilleberg.com/PhotoGallery.htm

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I have had the same LLBean "4 Season Expedition" Tent for about 7 years. :camping:

It has been used in 2ft of snow, in massive rain storms, in wind storms, relaxing at the beach and everything in between.

The sleeping bag i use is a down unit from Bean as well and is about 7 years old and still works like new and i have NEVER been cold in it!

MOST LLBean tents are the usual $50 dome jobs that are spoke of in the first post here, but if you search, they do have a nice line of high end stuff (pretty sure it is made by North Face) that will last a lifetime. I think i originally paid $350 for it back in 1998 and have gotten my $'s worth 10 times over!

Their customer service rocks too! The tent poles got damaged once because i closed the hatch on the tent bag and 2 of them bent pretty bad. I emailed them with the model # asking if replacement poles were available, 5 days after my original email, a BRAND NEW SET of all 6 poles arrived at my door free of charge!!

A great place to get a good deal on top name tents and sleeping bags is the REI "Returned Gear" sale. Friend of mine got a brand new condition mountain hardware tent missing instructions and box for $149 (usually around $400 or so) and the thing is perfect and has never even been set up!

My tent is the "Mountain Condo" model and is mostly "No See-Um Mesh" when the fly is not on so it works great in the summer, and the fly is some superduty waterproof material that keep me bone dry in the harshest of storms!!

Here is a pic of it (flyless) on a cliff down in baja:

IMG_0179.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater