Buying a used disco, what should I be on the look out for?

sniderexciderr

Observer
I am considering buying a used discovery in the $3-$4k ballpark. I have never owned a land rover, and have heard mixed reviews about them. What should i be on the lookout for and why. what options, what years? I searched and didn't catch a thread so if you know of one please point me in the right direction. thanks!

rover4x4

Adventurer
rust.

94-95 14CUX distributor ignition, 96-99(DI) GEMS trucks no distributor, 99< Bosch trucks with overheating issues. Anything from 94-99 should be fine, 99 was the end of the DI and start of DII. DII are nice trucks but I like the older trucks, you really want a Range Rover Classic. There is a plenty of information in this section on the pros and cons. Did I mention rust?

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
X1000 on the rust. The rest is all fixable. Since you're in Italy I'm assuming you'd have an easier time finding a diesel so you can by-pass all the gasser fuel injection related potential issues. I had a '96 and loved it. Only real issue I had (aside from the developing rust) was the damn rear door latch!

tacr2man

Adventurer
I see you are in italy , so 300tdi will be what you are looking at in that price range , possibly early TD5 . They dont have many issues , unless neglected , apart from rust due to age and salted winter roads . They will run to 200,000 miles quite frequently . Are you looking to buy in Italy/europe . In UK will be RHD you are looking for LHD i would think? Examine radiator , as they will run cool around town , but when taken on autostrada for long high speed run will overheat and do head gasket , if radiator is original and lost most of its fining . V8 petrols are usually cheaper to buy but you need shares in oil company to operate in EU , due cost of petrol. Squeaky drive belt on front of 300tdi is common , not hard to solve . HTSH

You could look on here to see what is in your budget :

. http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/s...reetext=false&negativeFeatures=EXPORT&lang=en

sniderexciderr

Observer
sorry, i should have specified. i'll only be in europe for another month. then i'll be coming back state side. if i were to be staying i'd get the classic. they are all over the place out here.

LtFuzz

Explorer
Vicenza -- are you with the 173rd ABCT? (I deployed with them to OEF X, ****ty *** unit lol)

Pick up a nice Defender 110 over there (25 years or older of course) and ship it back dude! Army will pay for the shipping...

sniderexciderr

Observer
yes, ive been here since nov of 06, its time for me to move back now. went with them oef8 & oefx. maybe i could convince my wife to let me buy an <87 LR but i doubt it.

Ray_G

Explorer
So I'm on my 3rd Disco 1...there's a ton of info out there and for the best stuff on that vehicle I would be remiss if I didn't mention Discoweb. Discoweb, using the search function (a lot) before posting.

That being said the basic separation between vehicles (94-94, CUX, OBD-1, 3.9L with a Dizzy vs 96-99, GEMS, OBD-2, 4.0L w/coils) is the starting point which gets to a series of questions:
-What do you want it for?
-How much do you want to modify it, for what climate, and for what kind of wheeling?

In general there is a school of thought that says the 94-95's are good b/c they are simpler (less electronics). The counterargument is that the GEMS can actually be dependable around the core of the electronics related to the engine (the other stuff...well these are Rovers).

My suggestion: do a lot of searching on a lot of forums/sites for the best low mileage truck you can find that has a quantifiable maintenance record.

My opinion: get a 98-99 D1 with the lowest miles you can find. The 94-95's are nice for some reasons but the 98-99 (a lot of folks will try to tell you there were no 99's) were the end of the build. Of course I live with the contradiction that I've had a 94, a 98, and now have a 96-but the 96 had 75k miles on it when I got it and it was meticulously maintained so I'm pretty happy with her.
r-
Ray

RangeBrover

Explorer
A lot of good advice here. If you're looking at a gasser then make sure to look for signs of overheating. Also check for rust around the whole frame, chassis etc. Check the sunroofs for leaks, under the floor mats/carpet to see if they are damp, and just general signs of water damage.

mowerman

Adventurer
rust...

rust is the major problem, they are poorly designed in some areas, especially the body and need looking at carefully, although it is for the most part repairable. I did mine over Christmas...

Rear floor:-

IMG_0072res.jpg

IMG_0067res.jpg

IMG_0068res.jpg

Rear arches:-

IMG_0069res.jpg

IMG_0073res.jpg

Overall view:-

IMG_0066res.jpg

Also sills, front inner wings, under battery box, chassis (to a lesser degree) body mounts, rear cross member...as you can see it can be a problem!
Mechanical parts are plentiful on the 300tdi and so less of a problem and simpler to rectify than rust.
Good luck and good hunting!
(Incidentally I thought you couldnt import a vehicle into the States unless it was over 25 years old?)

sniderexciderr

Observer
sorry its been so long since ive been on here. i want to use it for trails, trips, and camping. i want no larger then 33s and just enough lift to keep them from grabbing the body. i really like the way the discos look but have heard they have a lot of issues. with that being said, there are plenty of ppl wheeling them so they can't be all that bad. i'm not concerned with creature comforts and hi tech electronics. "keep it simple stupid" is what i like.

as far as importing into the states. i was under the impression that there was a specific year that was the cut off. but i've never researched it. i'm importing a wife, and that was more paperwork and headaches then i wanted to deal with, i'll just choose one that is already there.

jeffzx9

Snider, did you find a Disco yet? If you've not owned a Rover before, let me ask, are you comfortable completing scheduled and unscheduled maintenance? Know your way around a tool box and have decent chops? Rovers will last a long time if the answer to both questions is "yes." If the answers are "no," I would probably look somewhere else. Seriously, I love my old Disco-1. Probably the most reliable truck I've EVER owned. BUT, if you are the "hmmm, I can replace that (part) later.." kind of person, forget it.
Keep us posted. Happy hunting.

jwlester

Observer
sorry its been so long since ive been on here. i want to use it for trails, trips, and camping. i want no larger then 33s and just enough lift to keep them from grabbing the body. i really like the way the discos look but have heard they have a lot of issues. with that being said, there are plenty of ppl wheeling them so they can't be all that bad. i'm not concerned with creature comforts and hi tech electronics. "keep it simple stupid" is what i like.

as far as importing into the states. i was under the impression that there was a specific year that was the cut off. but i've never researched it. i'm importing a wife, and that was more paperwork and headaches then i wanted to deal with, i'll just choose one that is already there.

Good luck with the search. I think everyone here has you on the way to a search with open eyes. Nothing to be scared of, but this addiction isn't for everyone.

Thank you for your service.

JeremyT101

Adventurer
If you do buy a disco, take my advice. Find someone who actually works on Rovers, not just your plain jane mechanic and take it to him BEFORE you buy it. That will allow you to make the most informed decision possible. Just taking it to your favorite family mechanic is not good enough as they will not spot all of the issues that the Rover tech will instantly recognize. Or else you may end up with a very, very expensive driveway spot holder that just sits there. Ask me how I know?

DividingCreek

Explorer
I think dicovery's will get even cheaper in the coming months. As fuel pushes up to $5 a gallon in the next couple of months anything getting poor (10-12) mpg will be devalued.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk