C5500 TopKick 4x4 Crew Cab Build

pods8

Explorer

K2ZJ

Explorer
The SMEV, like most european caravan stoves, has a very nice flush cover to maximize counter space. I'm not sure why US manufacturers haven't figured this out yet.

My parents had a 1980 Shasta 21' travel trailer that had one. I don't know where they went after that.

thetonka

Observer
I give the Wave heaters two thumbs up.

I'm really interested in the wave heaters. Would love to do floor radiant like NE is doing but it's not practical. The simplicity and efficiency of cat heaters are very appealing. I just don't know how well one would work in my stacker toyhauler.

NeverEnough

Adventurer
I'm really interested in the wave heaters. Would love to do floor radiant like NE is doing but it's not practical. The simplicity and efficiency of cat heaters are very appealing. I just don't know how well one would work in my stacker toyhauler.

Getting the BTUs in, regardless of the heater, is the easy part. The trick is slowing their escape. Any heater that can beat the heat loss will get the job done. If your stacker isn't insulated, like most I've seen, you'll need a lot of BTUs to keep up with the heat loss if it's cold out. Another friend used simple radiant/reflective bubble insulation in his snowmobile trailer and installed a Wave and it does a decent job.

thetonka

Observer
Getting the BTUs in, regardless of the heater, is the easy part. The trick is slowing their escape. Any heater that can beat the heat loss will get the job done. If your stacker isn't insulated, like most I've seen, you'll need a lot of BTUs to keep up with the heat loss if it's cold out. Another friend used simple radiant/reflective bubble insulation in his snowmobile trailer and installed a Wave and it does a decent job.

I was in the process of insulation and paneling with some new cabinets before I had hand surgery. If figured I need 10k-15k BTU assuming a 40% cycle.

Don't want to completely hijack your thread. My updates thread is here.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/59642-upgrades-to-my-Toyhauler?highlight=

Last edited:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
The SMEV, like most european caravan stoves, has a very nice flush cover to maximize counter space. I'm not sure why US manufacturers haven't figured this out yet.

In my opinion there are just two main reasons why US manufacturers have not figured this out...

When was the last time you were in Europe? Did you notice there are no signs telling you not to be stupid?

The USA is all about Liability being the fault of the manufacturer, were as in Europe it is about Personal Responsibility.

IE you have a large flat plastic lid. If you put that lid down while the burner is still HOT then you melt the lid and possibly start a fire. This is now the Fault of the HOB Manufacturer, not you, the idiot, who could not/ would not/ did not wait.

The second reason is that in the USA we like to use large pans and make enough food to feed ten Europeans, and we call that a light snack. Your chances of having a pan that is far too large for your stove, and then melting/damaging the counter top is high with one of those hobs.

I figure those are the main reasons. I personally think that the litigation in the USA is at ridiculous levels, and I believe that if you spill your coffee on yourself because you pull out in front of on coming traffic that had the right of way, then you should not sue the store that sold you the coffee.

As Ron White says (Blue Collar Comedy) "You can't fix STUPID". There is not a drug you can take, a surgery, no magic pill that fixes stupid.

Last edited:

pods8

Explorer
IE you have a large flat plastic lid. If you put that lid down while the burner is still HOT then you melt the lid and possibly start a fire. This is now the Fault of the HOB Manufacturer, not you, the idiot, who could not/ would not/ did not wait.

The lids are pyrex glass, just like the stuff you use inside your oven. They aren't going to melt.

The second reason is that in the USA we like to use large pans and make enough food to feed ten Europeans, and we call that a light snack. Your chances of having a pan that is far too large for your stove, and then melting/damaging the counter top is high with one of those hobs.

The smev 2 burner is the same size as an atwood wedgewood 2 burner stove. If your pan hangs off on the smev it'll do the same on the wedgewood.... My FWC started with the wedgewood and I installed a SMEV 2 burner instead. I see no difference other than the SMEV seems to burn cleaner and has usable space with the lid down since these are almost flush in the counter (just a slight lip over) verse a notable bump with the wedgewood stove and factory cover which makes a big difference on usability.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Love that two burner range and I've heard nothing but good comments on the Wave Heaters

You're build is pretty awesome!

Any links to the trapless drain! I was going to swap out our standard sink for a deeper one to gain some space, but couldnt do it because of the depth of the trap under the sink. That might have just solved my issue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater