C6 rev tent

al_burpe

Observer
I haven't seen any discussion on this tent yet. https://c6outdoor.com/ I saw Scott Brady did a review on the Overland Journal YouTube channel. It seems like a great option to give the benefits of a RTT without the downsides. If I wasn't needing a tent for a family of four, I would be all over it. When the kids are bigger we might have to think about getting two of them.

SlickRope

I have been waiting for something like this to come out. Not sure why it took so long. The concept seems simple I wonder how the execution is. I'll have to check out the full review on youtube, but it looks like something I could be interested in.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I'm intrigued by it too. Do you have a link to Scott Brady's review?

Found it: Rev Tent by C6 Outdoor :: The All-in-One Roof Top Tent, Ground, and Bed Tent - YouTube

The tent itself is $800 (very expensive to me if you were just going to use it as a ground tent) and weighs 25lbs. Then to mount it on your roof you need a platform (and ladder) for it. C6 sells a folding aluminum platform with ladder for $450 (weighs 48lbs). Which looks like a cheap option if you don't already have a $1000+ flat platform on your vehicle (C6 recommends a couple of proper sized platform brands) and you would still need a collapsing ladder.

REV TENT ROOF TOP TENT PLATFORM | C6 Outdoor

C6 tent.1.PNG

Still; you get a small RTT (48" x 84") and platform and ladder for $1250. Total weight 75lbs (I'm assuming the weight of the platform includes the weight of the included ladder?). Usually a RTT like this weighs a bit over 100lbs to start.

I'm wondering how HD the bottom of the tent is when used on the ground (nice to have that option). They sell a ground cloth for $29:

REV TENT Roof Top Tent & Ground Tent FOOTPRINT by C6 Outdoor

My other concern is how easily it could be stolen since it just ties down to the platform (if you go with their platform or any other platform route).

Would be very nice for someone with limited garage height or have to park outside all the time (tent easily removed).

Looks like you can't keep your sleeping bag or pillows inside it when folded up. And I would be concerned the ladder strapped on top might rub a hole in the cover when bouncing down the road (but I like the idea of the ladder being in a separate pouch). I would probably have some velcro sewn to the bottom of the ladder pouch, and the top of the tent pouch (which I believe is the outside floor of the tent) so they would stick together when placed on top of each other (and of course still strap them down).
C6 tent.PNG

Last edited:

billiebob

essentially a ground tent with a fitted mattress on a rigid floor

the 25# weight is mighty attractive
I'm wondering how far apart the floor supports on the rack can be

lots of questions, the website needs a video

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
I just got an email from C6 (amazing how when you look at something on-line, you suddenly start getting emails and such from them).

Anyways... for Christmas they're having free shipping on everything if I read it right. Use the code SANTADELIVERS at checkout. I don't know how long the offer lasts.

If someone was looking for a similar concept to the C6 for camping and wasn't planning on putting it on their roof, consider a double sized tent-cot. Here are some ideas:

9 Best Double Cot Tents For 2021 (Collapsible & Folding) | Best Tent Cots for Camping

You don't get the foam mattress (I use a self-inflating 3" thick sleeping bag air mattress), but you are off the ground. Easy set-up. Removable rain fly. And they fold up. Weight figure around 50lbs. But priced less than half the cost of the C6. Footprint is about the same (48" [or a little wider] x generally 84").

My buddy and I used a pair of Cabela's double-cots for a trip we took up into northern Canada (using them on the ground). After the trip, he took one back home, and I kept one. I ended up mounting it on top of my lil' trailer to use as a RTT as an experiment (outer legs removed since they'd just be hanging in the wind). I had to have a cover made for it (the factory cover would no longer work since the legs were now extended). Cover was a little over $400 (very well made and thought-out though by a place that did that sort of thing). So between the cost of the tent-cot and the cover, I could have (at the time) bought an entry-level RTT. But I've been happy with it. It weighs about 50lbs - most RTTs start in over 100lbs.

IMG_20160607_215152.jpg

CA pre-run.2 (3).jpgOverland Adventure.1 (2).jpg

This picture below makes it look like the floor isn't flat. It is flat; there's just an additional piece of tent fabric under the floor that makes it look that way.

Overland Adventure.7.1.jpgArctic trip.2.jpg

Yup - I can still get into the trailer even with the tent-cot opened up.
Overland Adventure.6.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle