CA Emissions

grobinson

Adventurer
So I'm new to California, recently just moved here from Massachusetts for a job. Currently my wheeling vehicle is back in Massachusetts, while I sorted myself out with the move here, and have my daily driver out here already.

As I'm not with my vehicle now, I was going to see if someone that has access to my TJ could check to see if it's CA ready. It's a '97 4.0 TJ. Is anyone aware if there is a sticker somewhere in the engine bay that would indicate this? I'm assuming it would pass fine, as it has been inspected in Mass, but you never know.

Thanks

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
So I'm new to California, recently just moved here from Massachusetts for a job. Currently my wheeling vehicle is back in Massachusetts, while I sorted myself out with the move here, and have my daily driver out here already.

As I'm not with my vehicle now, I was going to see if someone that has access to my TJ could check to see if it's CA ready. It's a '97 4.0 TJ. Is anyone aware if there is a sticker somewhere in the engine bay that would indicate this? I'm assuming it would pass fine, as it has been inspected in Mass, but you never know.

Thanks

If you haven't messed with any of the emissions stuff and everything is in good shape, it should pass just fine.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Hi Gavin,

Congrats on the move, I think? Where did you move to?

I think your TJ is close to my commute route so if that's the case I'd be glad to take a quick look. Shoot me a PM with some contact info and we can work it out. Do it quick though -- I'll be working in Fullerton (near Anaheim) for three weeks (or maybe longer) starting next Monday.

Cheers,
Graham

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
It doesn't have to be 50 state legal as long as it meets the 7500 mile rule; it can be a 49-state legal car that was purchased out of California and registered after it had 7500 miles on it in CA. Might want to double check but I believe I remember reading that somewhere along the way.

alosix

Expedition Leader
It doesn't have to be 50 state legal as long as it meets the 7500 mile rule; it can be a 49-state legal car that was purchased out of California and registered after it had 7500 miles on it in CA. Might want to double check but I believe I remember reading that somewhere along the way.

That would be correct.

Had my 1997 TJ with 140k miles on it smogged last year. Its not a CA vehicle and it passed just fine.

Its um.. mostly stock.... :)

Jason

grobinson

Adventurer
Hi Gavin,

Congrats on the move, I think? Where did you move to?

I think your TJ is close to my commute route so if that's the case I'd be glad to take a quick look. Shoot me a PM with some contact info and we can work it out. Do it quick though -- I'll be working in Fullerton (near Anaheim) for three weeks (or maybe longer) starting next Monday.

Cheers,
Graham

Graham,

Thanks for the congrats! Sorry I didn't meet up with you like I had planned, as we lived so close together, just a lot of things were happening. I ended up moving from east coast to west, out here in Valencia, California. Also known as Santa Clarita if you go looking on an online map. For some reason Google maps thinks Valencia is somewhere else.

I've actually got my brother that is manning the Jeep, so I can have him take a peak. I just wanted to give him some direction rather than have him stand out in the bitter cold :) (Yes I'm rubbing it in.)

ChuckB:

I think I remember reading that when I was getting my Fusion registered here, although when I was at the DMV they looked under the hood for the emissions sticker, while also inspecting the VIN. I suppose I could always print something off of my printer, and stick it under the hood... Kidding. I think in doing further research, there is or should be a sticker near the radiator.

grobinson

Adventurer
That would be correct.

Had my 1997 TJ with 140k miles on it smogged last year. Its not a CA vehicle and it passed just fine.

Its um.. mostly stock.... :)

Jason

Awesome, that's reassuring. Thanks for the heads up.

Now to start working on getting the truck cross-country and wheeling it out here!

alosix

Expedition Leader
Awesome, that's reassuring. Thanks for the heads up.

Now to start working on getting the truck cross-country and wheeling it out here!

I did it in 4 days (after spending a month rebuilding the Jeep) with a trailer and a dog 1.5 years ago from MD :)

Got my WRX smogged out here as well. It was a 50 state car, the Jeep was a 49. Only difference was the box they checked at the DMV.

The WRX is a few cats short of an old lady's house as well and somehow it still passed :)

Jason

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
I think you can go to a smog station and test it out there - just let them know it needs to be CA standards for your city.

When I lived in Santa Barbara, I had to let them know the car had to be smogged for Los Angeles standards since it was registered there...I guess it's strictest in LA.

grobinson

Adventurer
Thanks. I've already gone through the emissions process for my daily driver. I was just looking for information on where the emission sticker was located on a TJ, but got it now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk