California Defender owners please chime in

Kiriesh

Adventurer
When you get the budget, $20k won't be impossible as I passed on a ROW 110 that was $21k. It was quite nice overall and the seller had done a lot of the work himself, quality work, no hacks.
Had the vehicle been Ca registered, I would already be the owner.

The CHEATERS program really depends on your situation. Most people are not going to report you as the program is basically asking neighbors to snitch on other neighbors and unless there is some sort of feud, people don't want to get involved. CA is always looking for $$$ from every direction so they paint the picture that people are just purposely trying not to pay registration, what a load of...

Thanks for this, it's good to hear. I'll be honest deciding to sell my wrangler and buy a defender has been tough. All of my childhood dreams growing up (I swear I see D90s here daily) and my acceptance of Land Rover advertising has made me always want a D110. Every logical decision tells me to stay far far away but I know if I could get a running California registered LHD D110 regardless of the engine in it I'd be happy to drive that wherever it'd take me. Luckily I'm fortunate to have a very solid DD and overland platform right now (2nd gen Tacoma) so I can buy a run down model and hopefully restore it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mongosd2

Adventurer
Read this…
http://www.defendersource.com/forum...fornia-everything-you-want-to-know-59447.html

has the most up to date info…Some have had zero issues, some have have had to pay up to 10k or more to make 'em legal…

I know of 1 110 that had Ca tag's, did a engine swap and was denied and had to sell it
I know of 1 that is a diesel and was told by CARB that if would need to be brought to current standards
I know of 3 that you wouldn't believe they are legal
and finally have a really good friend who got dimed out by the cheater program and between the fines and legal fee's, is n the hole 15k (which is what he paid for the truck

D90Rovin

Observer
Thanks for this, it's good to hear. I'll be honest deciding to sell my wrangler and buy a defender has been tough. All of my childhood dreams growing up (I swear I see D90s here daily) and my acceptance of Land Rover advertising has made me always want a D110. Every logical decision tells me to stay far far away but I know if I could get a running California registered LHD D110 regardless of the engine in it I'd be happy to drive that wherever it'd take me. Luckily I'm fortunate to have a very solid DD and overland platform right now (2nd gen Tacoma) so I can buy a run down model and hopefully restore it

Yeah I completely understand the boat you are in. The Defender is a sort of addiction and I find it illogical most times because where it really thrives (off-road) is not what I use it for. But I always like the simplicity and want to learn to wrench on it more myself.
Have you driven a 110 to make sure you would like it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven