Calling Columbus Variant Owners

JCTex

Observer
I'm about to buy one of these in the 56" x 91" variety. I would like to know what, if anything, you have done to minimize the sail effect in strong winds? I'm thinking about adding some strategically placed eyelets for running guy lines. Just how bad is, and what are the effects of, wind on a Columbus? Thanks.

andrewh

/dev/4wd
i have not had issues with mine in strong winds. THere is a little buffeting but i also have the cold weather "insulator". I think we camped in 19 degree weather with winds close to 15 mph. The internal screw down mechanism for locking the internal bars up was sufficient for me in those conditions.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I havent had any problems with mine on windy days/nights. The strongest winds I have experienced were in DV at probably 20+mph...
Could of been higher, but I dont know... only thing I did was park the rig facing the wind...as it was blowing from one direction most of the time....

40th80

Those that have the Variant model. What bedding are you using? Will it fit those dbl square sleeping bags with pillows even when packed up? Planning also to put a thermal camping mat underneath.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I have two synthetic -20 bags and two small pillows f/t.
When it's time to close it, I set the sleeping bags in the middle of the mattress (long-side)along with the pillows
Also a collapsible box for boots/shoes/sandals.....
Nothing else underneath...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl