Camp Chair Recommendations

jreddy

I've had a lot of different chairs over the years, but a pair of Cliq Chairs now live in my truck full time: https://www.cliqproducts.com/products/cliq-chair

It's basically a Helinox, but it has clever hardware that makes it very fast to setup. It's way too heavy for backpacking, but it's very, very small, and quite comfortable. I don't like sitting in it quite as much as my low Snow Peak chair, but when space it tight, it's all I take, plus it's great to have spares for friends.

Not direct that chair
I have had alps chairs they held up well and were all well made comfy
I do have two of those types (look like clones) that are the older REI versions and I think one had a stitch issue but for a low chair they are comfy and have nice support without cutting into the body anywhere
downside of course is the pack size and weight compared to the helinox type chairs out these days
not sure if that helps ? But reckon if you are prime member safe buy

We have a pair of Cabela's-branded chairs like those. They're pretty sturdy (me: True American Size). My wife has put one up in the RTT to get out of the bugs and read.

My opinion is they are too low for woodsy-camping, but really good for rocky/beach/desert camping. We carried them up to an arch in Moab for some night shots. Someone didn't tell us about the massive amounts of praying mantii out there. :D

skyfree

I went with a Helinox Sunset just due to needing to save weight and space. They’re lighter and smaller than my regular folding camp chairs. Yes they’re more of a pain to set up, but after a few times it gets pretty fast (Or I’ve forgotten how fast other chairs are!).

I think it’s pretty comfy, and they have a beach version which is the same frame just different legs so it’s closer to the ground with fatter feet for the sand.

I also have the Helinox knockoff, Cascade Mountain Tech. They don't have the same stability or quality as the Helinox, but I don’t think the Helinox is $100+ better. If you do go Helinox definitely shop around for a sale or use an REI 20% coupon to help soften the blow.

Based on this forum thread I also got the Helinox Sunset chair and love it. The size when stored in the bag is small enough to fit in a small storage cubby I have, and saving weight is always welcome. The chair is comfortable and putting it together and taking it apart is easy with the aluminum tent-pole-with-internal-bungee type of construction. Minor complaint - Using the bag with something in it as a headrest works, but I wish that flap on the bag velcroed to the BACK of the chair to keep pull it up a little higher.

fredeharley8

So, fun fact - I am the design engineer that produced the Hondo Basecamp chair. After extensive category and product research, I can tell you that, for the purposes of having a very nice chair for the garage/patio/RV/ETC - I don't believe you can make a better choice for overall comfort, durability, and longevity. The Quantum suspension fabric is a bonded weave of PP and Hytrel that literally WILL NOT sag over time, breathes very very well, and will support you in a manner that no other chair on the market can come close to. Is the chair heavy? Yes - a bit over 15 lbs.
Do I recommend it as the chair to buy to take to your kid's ballgames and whatnot - no - the Trailhead is a better form factor for that with its backpack-style carry bag and more collapsible geometry. You are correct that the product manager involved at that time had come from Herman Miller. I'd love to also tell you that he had this major impact on this product - but we were very much deep into the design of the product before he arrived at YETI....but don't let that take aware from your decision. The Hondo is a beast in every way and has the comfort to back it up. Sure - I'm biased - but it is the best product I've ever designed.

Montucky

Director of Post Ride Beverages
Anyone tried the Nemo Stargaze chair? Looks like they have a new version coming out later this month.

Superduty

Adventurer
Anyone tried the Nemo Stargaze chair? Looks like they have a new version coming out later this month.

Costco sells a copy of the Nemo Stargaze. Pretty close copy and markedly less cost.

LRNAD90

Adventurer
Costco sells a copy of the Nemo Stargaze. Pretty close copy and markedly less cost.

Well that sucks for Nemo, I'm sure it is made in China in large volumes with child labor too. I'd rather pay more to the company that designed it, than less to support the company that ripped it off and is based in a country determined to destroy ours. Too bad this is not the general attitude of the Amerian consumer. If it was, China wouldn't be the issue they are..

F350joe

i tried it at REI. I’m a big guy at 6’4 235 and it was awkward. I felt like Ricky Bobby during his 1st TV interview. Love the idea though.

jreddy

They have a new wider design coming out shortly for the Stargaze which is why they're blowing out the old ones.

I'm tempted, but it seems like such a luxury item. Not because of cost, but because it's not practical as a do-everything chair. Awesome for kicking back by the fire, but not great for eating or sitting upright.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues