Can POR 15 be painted over?

Wander

Expedition Leader
I need to scrape some rust of the middle of my cargo door hinges on the DI and POR 15 the spots. The truck is white and POR does not come in white. If I can paint on the POR than I can make it match(sort of). I will also be painting over the welds and seams from the new cargo floor so it would be nice to make this white as well.

James Pierce

Adventurer
POR does come in silver or grey which can then be top coated in the 2 part white coat.

But to answer your question after it cures you can sand it or use a tie coat primer to paint over it.

Last edited:

Wander

Expedition Leader
I didn't see white listed-good to know it's available as that would solve the problem.

4xdog

Explorer
Not only CAN POR-15 be painted over, the maker highly ENCOURAGES it be painted over. It's not UV stable under direct exposure. Lasts beautifully in the dark or when topcoated. I'm a big fan of POR-15.

RBBailey

Observer
I've done it. It works well to paint right over it with rattle can.

Here's how:

1. Prep the area as the instructions tell you.
  2. Paint at least two coats of POR15 per the instructions.
  3. Paint the third coat per instructions, then...
  4. Right when the third coat is still sticky, you can put a finger print in it, spray a light coat of the rattle can paint over it.
  5. Make a really light coating so the rattle can paint is dry almost as soon as it gets on the surface. Get about 75% coverage over the POR15 surface with this first coat, then let it dry over night.
  6. Then go back and spray at least two more coats of rattle can, or until you have two coats of 100% coverage.

I was very happy with the results, better than powder coating my bumper that was sand blasted before I did this. I believe the instructions are on the POR15 web site some place, you might double check before attempting it.

Paladin

Banned
Anybody know if POR15 can hold up to having water sitting on it? Say... on a floorpan, under the carpets of a D2 that is constantly wet.

4xdog

Explorer
A little moisture will help the polyurethane POR-15 cure even stronger. I've used POR-15 in the windshield channel on my 1988 Cherokee, and on replacement of a windshield years later, the channel was perfect. Years of water exposure didn't hurt it at all. I used POR-15 on the back of my Kaymar bumper on the Cherokee, and it's held up beautifully to ten plus years of exposure (in the dark)

I've had numerous other occasions where POR-15 and water have been a fine combination. I would recommend POR-15 for floorboards without a doubt.

overlander

Expedition Leader
POR 15 was first designed to paint rust on ship hulls, so I'm thinking yes. The stuff is awesome. When I actually get some rust on my frame, I'm going to have at it. POR15 on the shelf waiting.

Wander

Expedition Leader
Don't jinx it!

Isn't it great living in the south east and the much reduced rust issues we have. My IIa also has a clean frame-and it's 47 years old!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven