Can someone help me id this

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
Maybe an older Phoenix?

Kinda remember seeing bars / poles like that inside the camper that lift the roof, on an old Phoenix we had here years ago?

Price seems reasonable.

Upper roof trim on passenger side looks a little wobbly on one part???

Blown03HD

OK cool, the owner didn't give me any good information, he said "fits in a stardard truck box" I asked him if it was for a short or a long box :) I'll try to research the older phoenix then. I did see the side droop on the roof but the owner said no water damage.
If anybody has one or has anymore info please speak up.

Last edited:

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
It looks like a Four Seasons to me. They seem to have closed up shop in the early 90s and don't have any web presence but they were built in Colorado (they had an address in Denver and in Ft Lupton--maybe office and factory?) and have that lift system and very low-profile cab-over. They also built some Toyota motorhomes http://www.flickr.com/photos/toyrv/sets/72157622089052576/. I have an '88 Four Seasons Magnum (longbed compact truck) and that one looks like a larger version of mine but with a wrap-around rear end. One giveaway would be if it has the back door that goes all the way to the top of the camper body without a solid strip between it and the roof and a velcro soft-side panel to close the space above the rear door--I imagine they all used that design.

That bed trailer appears to be a long bed. The camper looks like it would be a perfect fit if it were slid forward a little. I bet it's a 9 1/2' camper for a full-size long bed.

These campers may have a similar truck-fit issue as the older four-wheel campers, in that many of the older campers don't fit in the newer trucks due to tailgate-bed width. A lot of newer trucks tend to run a little narrower in the tailgate than their predecessors. Try to get a camper width measurement from the owner.

The HMD TL the seller is referring to is the title designation of the truck bed trailer it's sitting on, not the camper. It's the designation for "homemade trailer." I used to have one.

My camper is holding together pretty well. The main weakness is that rear door setup. Because there's no solid framework above the door, the sides of the camper have a tendency to widen at the back. Mine got to the point that the back door wouldn't stay latched. That also affects the way the roof closes over the top campers edges. I just added a piece of tensioned steel strip across the top of the door opening (and covered the exposed part with pipe foam insulation so it doesn't inflict pain) and it's worked really well. Now the door has a tight fit. The windows in the soft sides are in pretty bad shape on mine. The clear plastic windows are discolored and cracked and don't close all the way and the screens are pretty ripped. It may just be mine though. Otherwise, I've been happy with the build quality, even off-road. One gripe is that the extra thin cab-over is a little limiting in that you can't really store much of anything under or above the mattress. Even some 1" eggshell foam or a sleeping bag are too thick to close the roof on. They have to be stored elsewhere. A lot of designs have taller cab-overs sections with extra room for bedding, etc.

When I got mine, the back door wouldn't open without lifting the camper roof a little. That got to be obnoxious so I cut off the top aluminum flashing on the door. Now it opens without having to unlatch the roof.

They do seem pretty good at sealing out moisture--no roof leaks, etc. Do look under the cab-over mattress through in the front corners and look for darkened wood/odd smells. Mine accumulates a tiny bit of moisture in the front corners of the cab-over under the mattress when it's parked but it hasn't been bad enough to cause rot. Out camping, it keeps me completely dry.

P1020299.jpg

At first I would have guessed that that one is a little newer than mine, based on the siding color/stripes and cabinets, but they list it as an '88 as well. Here's mine before the repaint, with the 80s Four Seasons stripes.

P1020250.jpg

Last edited:

Blown03HD

thanks buddy! I think you are spot on. I attempted to find info through google, but came up with nothing. I got a 2006 F250 short bed so knowing the demensions are important. Thing is the guy is not that knowledgable about it, good price but if it does not fit it does not work. He is selling it for a friend so I do know how motivated he is to size it for me. It also does not have any jacks so I do not know how I will get it in my truck. If I can find info on it I'll keep you posted. I guess a road trip is in order.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Hmm, I just found a Four Seasons camper ad that includes measurements: 49" between the fender wells and 64" wide at the tailgate.

http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/3420733406.html

For loading, most rental businesses have free-standing camper jacks for rent. That's the route I took.

Looking at that picture again, that trailer may be a short bed and the camper a ~7-8'. It's tough to tell with that camera angle.

Good luck,

Eric

Last edited:

MakersTeleMark

Adventurer
If you want me to go look at it, I'd be glad to help. I live about 5 miles away. E-mail me at my username @ gmail with what you want me to do. I can bring a tape and a camera too.

brian90744

American Trekker
under cab over,

Looking at the pics, is seems like under the cabover window is dished in, so it would fit Ford F150 which has the cab rear window bubble out. Or maybe its the photo light angle??
It also appears 8.5 ft long from the pics. should fit your truck with the tailgate down if your bed is 6ft. you can rent camper jacks. I agree with Tanglefoot it looks like his Four Seasons
priced right=brian

Last edited:

Blown03HD

It looks like a short box to me but the angle is deceptive. 64 inches is too wide for my truck. Makerstelemark That would be great, I will send an email to you. My bed measurement are 80 inches long, by 60 inches wide and 50 1/2 at the wheel wells.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven