Can You ATW A 1995 Chevy?

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
It's a V8 Chevy (5.3/5.7) with a 4L60e trans.......only maybe a gazillion were made and sold worldwide (not to mention all the V8 based Chevy cars that were produced/sold with the same parts.....) Probably one of the most common, cheapest, easiest trucks to fix/work on out there. Heck, even if your were in xyzastan and blew an engine or trans you could have one shipped in for less then replacement lugnuts on a "Expo" vehicle. (joke of course)

Seriously, my two (95, 97) "K" Chevy's are knocking on the 200k door and I'd drive them anywhere (and have), a little planning, a cash reserve, whole lot of preventative maintenance, harden/upgrade the weak parts and head out. Maybe even worth a good build thread for the budget minded, older domestic truck, ATW build!

Good luck!

37239D5B-D338-4A49-BA29-CFCDBA44B3F1.jpeg

Last edited:

Samkissing

Any one ton would work, but I'd get the newest I could afford...just get a gas and not a Diesel (diesel has some expensive headaches). The Chevy/GMC 6.0 and Fords 6.2 both go damn near forever on minimal maintenance and parts are plentiful and cheap. There is no shortage of either that get beat on as company trucks and still last hundreds of thousands of miles.

The best part about a heavier duty truck is the fact that you won't be placing excess stress on anypart of it. A 1/2 ton hauling two people, all their gear, plus a camper is going to be pushed to the max. A one ton will take it all in stride.

I have a feeling that once you start adding up everything that you want/need you'll quickly find that a 1/2 ton truck lacks the payload rating to do so legally.

Thank you, I think you make a good point and I'll do more research, I will definitely consider it, and keep my eyes open for a good deal if it pops up :)

Samkissing

It's a V8 Chevy (5.3/5.7) with a 4L60e trans.......only maybe a gazillion were made and sold worldwide (not to mention all the V8 based Chevy cars that were produced/sold with the same parts.....) Probably one of the most common, cheapest, easiest trucks to fix/work on out there. Heck, even if your were in xyzastan and blew an engine or trans you could have one shipped in for less then replacement lugnuts on a "Expo" vehicle. (joke of course)

Seriously, my two (95, 97) "K" Chevy's are knocking on the 200k door and I'd drive them anywhere (and have), a little planning, a cash reserve, whole lot of preventative maintenance, harden/upgrade the weak parts and head out. Maybe even worth a good build thread for the budget minded, older domestic truck, ATW build!

Good luck!

View attachment 676267
Thank you for the encouragement! I wasn't sure how many of these trucks/parts were available world wide, but it makes total sense they were so popular.

Since my truck is basically stock, do you have any words of advice for things I should upgrade/harden?

I want to do a leaf spring/ full suspension upgrade, but I'm not sure who offers a reliable system that is still offered for these trucks.

Any engine or transmission upgrades, gearing, etc.?

I'm a total newbie when it comes to this stuff. I've had the truck for 6months, and I'm trying to take care of it so it runs for 400k. I've already done the most basic maintenance on it like belts, fluids, filters, spark plugs

Thank you!

1. I went with steel over aluminum for 1 reason $$$$. Also steel is easy to work with, strong, and if build correctly, almost as lightweight as aluminum. also easy to repair if something happens.
2. The only suspension upgrade is a cheap set of bold on airbags. They were $250 on amazon. I didnt need them for the camper, sometimes i tow a trailer, and the bags keep me level.
My advise on the vehicle is this: you have to make a hard line budget decision right now. - keep this truck- knowing its going to need a bit more maintenance time along the way- or buy a new one…
Fyi- parts for your current truck are readily available anywhere in the world, and are among the cheapest in the word. Brand new trucks sure are nice, but parts are VERY expensive, and a little tougher to get on other countries. Most other countries simply dont have the volume of new heavy duty trucks we do here in the US.
I have a 2014 1 ton Cummins. While it doesnt need maintenance often, when it does, it breaks the bank compared to the little Colorado.
so…your current truck will do it. Throw some cheap bolt on airbags on the thing, throw the bed away, and get to work! The sooner you get started, the sooner youll be watching sunsets from the woods.

And most importantly, it should be fun. When its not fun anymore, just go home, re-group, and figure out how to make it fun next time. But Dont over plan, or be to rigid, be flexible, stuff happens. Just have fun.

Attachments

• D4D724DC-E97F-42C3-BEF6-AF3B7849D847.jpeg
    D4D724DC-E97F-42C3-BEF6-AF3B7849D847.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 22

billiebob

I have a 2014 1 ton Cummins.
While it doesnt need maintenance often, when it does, it breaks the bank compared to the little Colorado.

Maintenance is the key, no matter what you drive.

Use a shop with Journeyman Mechanics. Let them do a full inspection every year, listen and do the preventative maintenance they suggest. You can only get so far with deferred maintenance. I get all my oil changes done at a shop because they do a full 40? 60? point inspection every time. Driveline, brakes, steering, lights, charging/battery, anything starting to rattle loose, they catch it all and in 25 years I have not had an issue on or off the road.

Nothing wrong with old high mileage well maintained vehicles but use the professionals to keep it reliable.

Samkissing

1. I went with steel over aluminum for 1 reason $$$$. Also steel is easy to work with, strong, and if build correctly, almost as lightweight as aluminum. also easy to repair if something happens.
2. The only suspension upgrade is a cheap set of bold on airbags. They were $250 on amazon. I didnt need them for the camper, sometimes i tow a trailer, and the bags keep me level.
My advise on the vehicle is this: you have to make a hard line budget decision right now. - keep this truck- knowing its going to need a bit more maintenance time along the way- or buy a new one…
Fyi- parts for your current truck are readily available anywhere in the world, and are among the cheapest in the word. Brand new trucks sure are nice, but parts are VERY expensive, and a little tougher to get on other countries. Most other countries simply dont have the volume of new heavy duty trucks we do here in the US.
I have a 2014 1 ton Cummins. While it doesnt need maintenance often, when it does, it breaks the bank compared to the little Colorado.
so…your current truck will do it. Throw some cheap bolt on airbags on the thing, throw the bed away, and get to work! The sooner you get started, the sooner youll be watching sunsets from the woods.
That all makes sense! Thank you for the encouragement to go forward with the project! I agree that once things like this lose their fun you've lost the point.

I like the simplicity and true functionality of your build, how you were so quick to use things you found at a deal, like the tyvek. I think my favorite was the tea kettle fire place thing. I love that idea, and will have to look into it!

If I was looking for a full suspension swap and not just airbags (my truck feels like I'm driving a boat, I think the springs are worn out) do you have any brands that you would recommend? I know nothing about suspension companies

Samkissing

Maintenance is the key, no matter what you drive.

Use a shop with Journeyman Mechanics. Let them do a full inspection every year, listen and do the preventative maintenance they suggest. You can only get so far with deferred maintenance. I get all my oil changes done at a shop because they do a full 40? 60? point inspection every time. Driveline, brakes, steering, lights, charging/battery, anything starting to rattle loose, they catch it all and in 25 years I have not had an issue on or off the road.

Nothing wrong with old high mileage well maintained vehicles but use the professionals to keep it reliable.
I've never heard of journeyman mechanics! But those are all great tips, thank you! I need to find a place that does oil changes and full inspections like yours!

billiebob

If I was looking for a full suspension swap and not just airbags (my truck feels like I'm driving a boat, I think the springs are worn out) do you have any brands that you would recommend? I know nothing about suspension companies
So years ago my YJ had flattened springs, 4 springs from Chrysler were $1200. A Rubicon Express 2" lift with springs, shocks, disconnects was $800. I was ALWAYS an OEM guy. I replaced springs in almost all my cars, Grand Prixs, Corvettes included. The aftermarket has great choices for 4WDs. Don't go cheap, buy quality. There are dozens of 4x4 sites to research what really works but ya gotta do your own homework, For every truth on the internet there are a dozen lies.

I agree on the suspension stuff, buy some good springs and shocks. As for the airbags, i bought a cheap kit on amazon. $250. Bolted on in 30 minutes. Also the kettle, amazon $50.

D

Deleted member 9101

I agree on the suspension stuff, buy some good springs and shocks. As for the airbags, i bought a cheap kit on amazon. $250. Bolted on in 30 minutes. Also the kettle, amazon $50.

Still doesn't change that he'll be grossly over his payload rating on a stock rear axle and brakes...lol.

Not sure why he has to be or ‘will be ‘ overweight? Nothing has been build yet. Plenty of great 1/4 ton rigs out there, but he has a half ton. He can already carry more than I can.

D

Deleted member 9101

Not sure why he has to be or ‘will be ‘ overweight? Nothing has been build yet. Plenty of great 1/4 ton rigs out there, but he has a half ton. He can already carry more than I can.

And the vast majority of those 1/4 ton rigs are over weight...lol.

He has a 1600-1800 payload capacity. A camper + crap for two people to live in it full time will definitely push it past it's rated payload. By the time he modifies the truck to cope with the extra weight... He will have spent more than if he just sells the current truck and buys a 3/4 ton that's actually rated for the job he wants a truck to do.

This is very true, many are overweight. But I have this theory... Stick with me here... That our means (read financial means) most of the time... Determine how heavy your rig is. Its a mindset thing, and a lifestyle choice thing, and not automatic. Now, I'm not making any hard lines in the sand here, I did say most of the time, not everyone. So here we go: The more money you have, the more crap you think you need to stuff in a rig, its a first world problem, and its hilarious. I'm laughing at myself as well while I write this by the way, but its true. There are people living out there in vehicles with 10% of the garbage most of us haul around with us. None of this stuff is mandatory, or a must. For example, do I need a hot water heater and fireplace in my chevy colorado? If you step back and think about that, its a very first world issue. and here we are sitting around on the internet talking about it, also.... a rich person issue when you are looking through a world-wide scope (rich is a very relative term to me). 50 years ago, there was no internet, and none of these 'problems' existed. We have invented 'problems' we didn't even know we had back then, and its funny. ok, enough with the rich people ranting. What to do about it.
The first thing you can do is look at fit and finish, its the easiest place to cut weight. Do you need cupboard doors? does your interior finish need to be sleek, tight, everything covered and in a custom little space? basically any interior finishing piece that starts with wood, or a panel of any sort. do you need it? or is there a lighter option that functions just as well? like using canvass over an ultralight frame rather than a hard panel. Is this always a good idea? no. is it for everyone, no. but many times it is possible, and plenty strong, perfectly functional, while only weighing a fraction of many alternatives. I'm not saying technology is bad, Im just saying that sometimes we get wrapped up in our perfect imaginary world in here. The guy has a good running truck, that happens to be one of the most largely produced, and reliable trucks ever made. he'll be fine if he wants to be.
So Mr. SAMKISSING... You have a choice to make. Mostly a lifestyle choice. Because ECOBOOSTED is absolutely correct in what he has said about payload and doing it right from the beginning if your payload is going to be heavy. If you want to live a minimalist lifestyle, with VERY few modern comforts, in a tight space, then your truck is fine, go have a ball, and we all look forward to reading about it. Take the bed off, take out the back seat and make some storage space, and have an adventure. If you have the means to get a bigger truck, and make a fancier camper, same applies. All Im saying, is that what you have suggested, in terms of using this truck to drive around the world, is absolutely possible, and will be a great time. In a forum like this, you have a wide variety of folks weighting in, and they range from earthroamers to tents. Go have some fun. I just got home from some time in the woods, and Im headed back out in a couple days. Im not a full timer, because I have health issues, and like having a house to go back to and recover. Also, to be fair, I own a 1 ton Cummins that I tow a 30ft caper trailer with for when i take my kids camping, or for anything longer than a week, hell, Ive lived in that thing for months at a time during moves across the country because its a small apartment on wheels. Its the lifestyle Ive chosen, but if you choose to live in a chevy silverado, it can be done, and I look forward to your stories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77