Cap/Topper Style, flip up rear window or Barn Doors???

Hey sweet deal. Thanks.

I actually called the dealer today and i asked him about the Radius front and vertical side walls and they can do it. Siiicckk.

Yeah it sucked sitting on my bed with the slanted sidewalls. Vertical sidewalls is gonna be a game changer!

I am going to add ladder rack too for sure. Do you think with some kind of platform on the ladder rack i could stand up there?
As you can see in this photo I added some aluminum angle and 1/8 checker plate aluminum to the top ,it adds to the weight but it allows me to take photos from up there .

Attachments

• 0ABD6DA8-C11F-4467-A2B7-2E7727B7B5A9.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 83

03Marauderman

Wow...What an obscure option for the straight walls...no illustration or picture comparison option....I visited 3 ARE dealers, and the straight walls we're even mentioned ....as if the dealers were unaware......

Jasonlandscape

Wow...What an obscure option for the straight walls...no illustration or picture comparison option....I visited 3 ARE dealers, and the straight walls we're even mentioned ....as if the dealers were unaware......

Yeah i think you have to mention it to them. I do know Suburban Toppers in denver Colorado definitely knows about that option, but you may still have to bring it up. I called them yesterday.

mtndude23

Observer
I guess I'm the only one here who prefers the cap door and tailgate combo. The tailgate makes a perfect place to make food/drinks/organize gear/seat on while you take of or put on your muddy boots. I guess if your in and out of the back of your truck every 5 minutes it'd get old. But I love using the tailgate for many tasks, while not needing to bring another table-or do dirty chores in the sleeping quarters. A small folding step stool makes climbing up easier, if your short.

I camp and hunt out of my tundra quite a bit and try to bring as little with me as possible. So things that serve multiple purposes are what I want. Now if my truck had something like a flippac on it, then I'd want a barn door style to climb in and out of.

Jasonlandscape

I guess I'm the only one here who prefers the cap door and tailgate combo. The tailgate makes a perfect place to make food/drinks/organize gear/seat on while you take of or put on your muddy boots. I guess if your in and out of the back of your truck every 5 minutes it'd get old. But I love using the tailgate for many tasks, while not needing to bring another table-or do dirty chores in the sleeping quarters. A small folding step stool makes climbing up easier, if your short.

I camp and hunt out of my tundra quite a bit and try to bring as little with me as possible. So things that serve multiple purposes are what I want. Now if my truck had something like a flippac on it, then I'd want a barn door style to climb in and out of.

I agree, the tailgate makes for a nice table and seat. Only thing for me is im on 6 inches of lift and 40 inch tires so that makes it hard hopping in and out. Haha

I would just build a slide out table with barn doors though.

Local Yokel

im leaning heavy toward the hatchback style. not this tall (I think this is the 42"), im going with 23 - 32" wedge style. We pick up 80" of rain annually around here (SW NC) and having the cover would be nice, with the intention of a pull out/slide out table from the drawer system. I'm not naïve to think it will block 100% of the rain but I'm not looking to hangout too much in sideways rain.

hatchback door.JPG

olshaggy

Has anyone here had any issues with flex of the truck bed causing cracks along weld seams or other damage to your commercial cap? I've had a few dealers tell me it happens occasionally, and ARE's warranty explicitly excludes structural failure caused during off-road driving, among other things:

"Not covered under this warranty is structural failure due to neglect, alterations, addition of equipment, abuse, accident, off-road driving, use in competitive racing, vibrations from worn or altered truck suspensions or sound equipment, or acts of nature including but not limited to tornados, hurricanes, hail, and earthquakes."

Another vote for the A.R.E. DCU. I drove an ordinary white 29" coast to coast four times and it handled fine on highway in 30mph gusts. Liner prevents condensate drip. Camped comfortably 28°F to 98°F up to 60 mph gusts. Truck is Gen II Tacoma TRD Off-Road V6 MT, ACLB. The 29" allows you to have win-doors with screen/sliders. Prop them slightly in rainy camping. Attach sunshades to the outside of the windoors, prop for ventilation and dogs are comfortable in the back in a sunny parking lot. (Windows are dog-fenced.) My off-road driving is conservative so DCU doesn't get pounded. I built a take-apart PVC awning frame for extra space. Truck with DCU is very nondescript, nobody notices it. My big complaint is why doesn't somebody (besides Hiatus) make this in a cab-over pop-up so people can stand up inside? Barn doors are important because dogs and I are too old to climb over a tailgate, but I can still haul big cargo.

Attachments

• the annex small.jpg
    the annex small.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 10

beef tits

I always keep the tailgate, but I use my trucks as a trucks pretty frequently.

Reconsider the swingout bumper, seems silly when you have a pickup bed. My Tundra fit a 35" tire in the factory spare well. If I recall I had to modify something, but that was a while ago. Swingout bumpers are super annoying to open regularly.

The GFC/AT Overland toppers are where it's at. Built in sleeping platform, you can stand up in them, keep the tailgate, and use your bed-space to store gear that would otherwise be hanging off the back of your vehicle, more prone to theft, costly etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78