Capacity question for compressor fridges

Motafinga

Adventurer
I currently have a Norcold 3 way N300 80 qt fridge/freezer in my rig. Sometimes it works great with emphasis on sometimes. Lately it's been making a somewhat stinky smell too (needs burping??) Anyways I'm looking into a compressor style and want something that's upright and front loading. The Engel SB70F 60 Qt. Built-in 60 qt. model looks good and I like the info I've read on the swing compressor they use but I'm a little concerned about it being too small for our needs.
Can anyone chime in on whether they have a similar capacity fridge and whether or not they find it big enough for 2 people please?
Thanks!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
It should be big enough. We have a smaller Truckfridge TF-49, (52qt) and we get by just fine for our family of three for several days, or more if we're clever about packing.

Also, the compressor fridges generally take up less room in the compartment than the 3-way, so most people have found they get an overall capacity boost from going to a compressor fridge (but this of course is dependent on "maxxing out" the cabinet space left by the evaporative fridge). In this case, based on what I can find listed for cabinet dimensions for the N300, it seems like you should be able to go bigger than 60Qt if you wanted to. The Truckfridge TF-65 should fit in the same cabinet space with lots of room to spare and is almost 69qts, and you may even be able to find something a bit more optimally sized. (In fact, if the N300 installation manual is correct on cabinet dimensions, you should possibly be able to fit the TF-130 fridge/freezer (130qts!), but you'd want to check into venting since that would be a packed-in fit.

Motafinga

Adventurer
It should be big enough. We have a smaller Truckfridge TF-49, (52qt) and we get by just fine for our family of three for several days, or more if we're clever about packing.

Also, the compressor fridges generally take up less room in the compartment than the 3-way, so most people have found they get an overall capacity boost from going to a compressor fridge (but this of course is dependent on "maxxing out" the cabinet space left by the evaporative fridge). In this case, based on what I can find listed for cabinet dimensions for the N300, it seems like you should be able to go bigger than 60Qt if you wanted to. The Truckfridge TF-65 should fit in the same cabinet space with lots of room to spare and is almost 69qts, and you may even be able to find something a bit more optimally sized. (In fact, if the N300 installation manual is correct on cabinet dimensions, you should possibly be able to fit the TF-130 fridge/freezer (130qts!), but you'd want to check into venting since that would be a packed-in fit.

Thanks for the Info that seems like a decent deal for the size. Do the truck fridge use a danfoss comp and how many amps? I couldn't see alot of info on the links. How long long have you had yours and hows it holding up? they want 100 bux for shipping on the 130 but only 50 for the 65.
Thanks!

Motafinga

Adventurer
Well I did more research and answered most of my questions about truck fridge, I pulled the trigger on a TF130 after taking some measurements it should fit almost perfect in the Norcolds place!
Good deal for the amount of space for sure 7 hundy shipped

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Cool, it should work out great for you. Had mine since August of last year, and it's been working great. The big selling point for me is that the TF49 is a drop-in replacement for the Dometic 3-way in the Westfalia VWs, so there are literally dozens of guys running them in all kinds of conditions for multiple years. I feel good about the choice.

As a head's up - mine is working just fine, but I know some guys on thesamba.com (vw) and I think WanderTheWest.com have "tweaked" them a bit by playing around with the position of the thermocouple, swapping out the DC fan for a quieter unit, etc. I do hear my fan more than I'd like to, so I may at least change out the mounts for rubber isolation types...

Motafinga

Adventurer
You should be looking at Nova Kool before you buy anything else. Crappy website, but great product.

I tried looking into them but like you said crappy website and I found it really hard to find an RV or marine place that had even heard of em let alone order one. The one or 2 places online that sold wanted a crazy amount of coin to ship it. In the end the price and praise for customer service for the truckfridge won out. Hopefully it works out

GCecchetto

Adventurer
I tried looking into them but like you said crappy website and I found it really hard to find an RV or marine place that had even heard of em let alone order one. The one or 2 places online that sold wanted a crazy amount of coin to ship it. In the end the price and praise for customer service for the truckfridge won out. Hopefully it works out

You have to call Nova Kool directly. Let us all know how the truck fridge does.

Motafinga

Adventurer
You have to call Nova Kool directly. Let us all know how the truck fridge does.

Ah gotcha! I'll post a review in my build thread on the Truckfridge in action. In other news I ordered a 100 watt Renogy suitcase solar panel set-up to supplement my juice.
Hope to have good things to say about it all!
Jeff

pthomas

Ah gotcha! I'll post a review in my build thread on the Truckfridge in action. In other news I ordered a 100 watt Renogy suitcase solar panel set-up to supplement my juice.
Hope to have good things to say about it all!
Jeff

Truckfridge is the same as Indel B, correct? I'm looking at their 30L fridge. Would love to hear how you're liking yours.

Motafinga

Adventurer
They also got it to me within 2 days, and shipped the TF130 was only 700. I also added a 100watt renogy and it keeps the battery full easily

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179