Carbon Neutral Expedition - CNE I (Spring 2010)

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Not super active but definitely enjoying the KTM...

I was just thinking about this thread and finally updating it...

While you're in the updating mood Dre, what's up with the Toyota PU you were rebuilding with the diesel. Yes, some of us still remember that beauty.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
TangoBlue, the toyota is going well. i have it started and running and a good friend (the guy who actually gave me the truck) is helping me finalize the last of it. I will post up at some point as things progress.

Kurt, great to hear. Yes i know all about Notem being paved, what a travesty... I knew you guys would get along...

RE the Moto, it is almost like a disease where it is addictive and I love the simplicity and minimalism of it. We take the minimalism a little to the extreme with light bikes on singletrack for days at a time. Here is a trip I did last fall. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717689 . I've come to grips to realize it will be hard to ever follow up on a trip of this level of difficulty (and insanity)...

I would love to do a trip. The biggest thing is there is a ton of single track all over the place and it needs to take your route planning to a whole new level as you can do so much more. The roads are fun but what's great is to avoid as much as possible if there is comparable single track, when you have the bike. I've been meeting up and getting beers and mexican food and whiskey with Kevin Bell (works for SLC in their GIS department, awesome crazy guy, yours/our kind of guy) who has probably 18,000 miles of route all over Utah and throughout the west, and they are color coded by how fast he was going. Some as fast as 100MPH! (On his BRP, same as the honda I used to own). And with Derek (Trackhead) who built this truck.

In April we're doing a trip with some middle school buddies (flights booked, 100% setup, small intimate group of good old friends that have known each other for 20 years - my good friends in San Diego who are good buddies with Brett Garland). the trip is somewhat in about the shape of an Inifinty symbol, starting in Green River (seems to be about the mecca of dirt bike, if you ask me)... Night 1, lone warrior again, Night 2, back to Green River. Night 3 Moab, back to car day 4. Psyched...

Attachments

• infinity.jpg
    infinity.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 169

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
RR1, Call Proffitt's Cruisers in Salt Lake City. They have installed a number of them. Scott had no problem keeping up at all and the engine was small and quiet and great.. I would definitely recommend it particularly in a something with poor sound insulation. also, like almost all diesels they can be "tweaked" to offer good amounts of power with little negative impacts...

May I ask a few questions?

How quiet is that diesel, and how does it do on the highway, will it do 80 mph comfortably?

Is there a video of it running?

I am kicking around the idea of doing a FJ45 myself, possible diesel conversion, I just don't know if will drive me nuts (noise wise) or be able to pull a trailer with two dirt bikes (KTM 250/450), and one ADV style bike. (KTM 950 Super Enduro)

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Occasionally, yes. We were asked to drive support vehicles for a friend who is putting together a moto trip nearly identical to what Andre posted. It would be fun to hook up with you guys again.

I'd love to hear more about the moto trip when it comes to fruition. I'll be through that area quite a bit this coming spring, CM Pre-Run, CM Overnighter, Moab to CruiserFest amongst personal trips :D

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Yeah, the "horse"...
dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

Here is a NYtimes pic of exactly where we were in that first section above Lake Powell:
jp-1-carter-popup.jpg

They kept saying that Willem Dafoe is in it and I figured out why he isn't in any of the trailers... He's playing an alien.. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach