Cargo systems: yea or nay?

LandyAndy

Adventurer
I've been throwing this little problem around for a few weeks now... add in gas cans inside or outside the vehicle and it starts to get a real teaser.

Current thinking is for a rear rack that has the slide for the fridge with a tray table under it for road side brews. Headache rack to keep the hound safe on the back seat with mesh that'll accept Molle pouches for all those little bits & pieces. Shelf at about the top of the rear seats for light gear & bedding.

Recovery kit either on the roof in a peli case (multi-day trips) or in the back foot well for days out. As my trucks my DD I need to be able to unload most of the gear for the weekly shopping run.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Cargo system YES !!!!!

every truck so far I built one, reasons

dual layer packing without the unload required

security - everything out of sight

always packed ready to go

just the easiest way to stow all those little items so they don't become missiles in a roll or large jump...

standard dirt tracks, recovery gear stowed away

Knarly trail or water crossing unpacked and at hand, I learn't my lesson on that one too with a submerg'd jeep and needed to open the rear door to access the strap............oh the mud.

Aids in keeping heavy gear down and central........ie just behind the rear seats and yet easily got at when required.

they are easily made from 1/2" and 6mm plywood, I actually prefer without slides as they stay put on a slope !

and you don't loose 1" per drawer of usable space

S

stu454

If I can build a decent drawer system in the Disco then most anyone should be able to.

Measure twice, cut once.

I need to tidy up the face of the drawer but that was just my hack skills floating to the top.

robbie

had a drawer system in the back of my truck and removed it for removable cases and the like. no expeditions here. my concern with the drawer system is access to the fuel pump, which have a tendency to be flaky in these trucks. either the pumps themselves of the wiring. a fully filled drawer weighs what? 200-300lbs? i don't want to have to sit on the trail or side of the road and unload the drawer, then unbolt the cargo system and remove it, just to get to the fuel pump. not worth it.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
...pre-rig a strap before you take the next dive off into a swamp, river, or a mud pit....if you get stuck, just roll down the window and toss the rope over to someone on the bank. chances are they'll be able to stretch it over enough to get a winch-line attached with a shackle in the middle...

Snatch strap+shackle+winch line=danger.

As for your original question, I have a storage system as you describe, but I lash my recovery gear bag where it's handy instead of keeping it under other gear or inside a drawer. I learned that the hard way.

SeaRubi

Explorer
Snatch strap+shackle+winch line=danger.

As for your original question, I have a storage system as you describe, but I lash my recovery gear bag where it's handy instead of keeping it under other gear or inside a drawer. I learned that the hard way.

I did not say a snatch strap, but thanks for pointing it out - I mean a nylon webbing tow strap. In fact, I don't even own a snatch strap anymore. They kinda freak me out. :-/

h2os2

Adventurer
Searubi...(Ike)...If you came back up to Seattle for a visit I could build you a cargo system. Mine is still a work in progress, although it's done, would like to add a few things. It has 2 drawers and a cubby lift up front for easy access to tools and such.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I did not say a snatch strap, but thanks for pointing it out - I mean a nylon webbing tow strap. In fact, I don't even own a snatch strap anymore. They kinda freak me out. :-/

Okay. Just make sure the strap you're talking about is static and not dynamic. I think most of the dynamic straps are made of 100% nylon.

revor

Explorer
I'm half and half.. But Modular was my goal.
I have a drawer in the 110 that open's to the rear and carries tools, tiedowns, a shovel, axe, wood saw and misc junk. The deck that covers the shelf goes to the back of each of the rear seats under that portion of the deck I keep a bag with recovery gear, a first aid kit and the surround speakers for when the kids ABSOLUTLY have to watch a movie in the truck. In this spot a water filration system will be placed come summer.
The fridge sits between the two rear seats.
In the trailer we do bin storage. with a 16 gallon water tank at the front of the M416 bed we can put 4 good size containers that hold everything from dry goods to tableware. On the tounge of the trailer is a box that holds cooking gear (pots and pans)
I tryed to be as modular as possible, if the kids go we take it all and none of the "soft cargo" needs to go on the roof. If the kids and the dogs go the dogs go behind the seats and the soft stuff goes on the roof, if just the adults go we leave the trailer and we have room for tons of junk and the dogs in the back..
If the Wife want's to go and take her Disco, she can hook on the trailer and away she goes! But the fridge stays in the 110.
Oh RTT's on the truck and the trailer.

SeaRubi

Explorer
Searubi...(Ike)...If you came back up to Seattle for a visit I could build you a cargo system. Mine is still a work in progress, although it's done, would like to add a few things. It has 2 drawers and a cubby lift up front for easy access to tools and such.

Great to see you over here, Dave - email sent :sombrero:

SeaRubi

Explorer
I have a drawer in the 110 that open's to the rear and carries tools, tiedowns, a shovel, axe, wood saw and misc junk. The deck that covers the shelf goes to the back of each of the rear seats under that portion of the deck I keep a bag with recovery gear, a first aid kit and the surround speakers for when the kids ABSOLUTLY have to watch a movie in the truck. In this spot a water filration system will be placed come summer.
In the trailer we do bin storage. with a 16 gallon water tank at the front of the M416 bed we can put 4 good size containers that hold everything from dry goods to tableware. On the tounge of the trailer is a box that holds cooking gear (pots and pans)
I tryed to be as modular as possible, if the kids go we take it all and none of the "soft cargo" needs to go on the roof. If the kids and the dogs go the dogs go behind the seats and the soft stuff goes on the roof, if just the adults go we leave the trailer and we have room for tons of junk and the dogs in the back..
If the Wife want's to go and take her Disco, she can hook on the trailer and away she goes! But the fridge stays in the 110.

Keith, my head is still spinning from trying to visualize all your rigs :elkgrin: The water system sounds sweet. Is it something like a hard-mounted ceramic filter before the tank, to be fed from a bucket or a nearby stream? Nothing like fresh, cold spring water - makes it hard to go back to tap after drinking on the good stuff for a few days.

05LR3AZ

Adventurer

HAHA...sounds like this is quite the setup. Care to show us an example? :Wow1:

05LR3AZ

Adventurer
Storage Drawers or not

My main premise for wanting a shelf/storage system is for the fridge to have a sliding capability while being secured and for a small drawer or two for all those little items I seem to spend too much time looking for or never use because they aren't readily accessible. Basically it's a way for me to get organized :)

Until then I have modular storage bins or small bags that hold items like my recovery kit, jumper cables, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3