Carrizo Mtn Camping & Rockhounding for Petrified Wood: Dec 2010

BorregoWrangler

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Since December is the last month to traverse and explore Carrizo Mountain until June of 2011 by vehicle due to the seasonal bighorn sheep closure, I headed out to camp near the summit over the weekend of the 11th and 12th of this month. Along with exploring other old mining roads atop the mountain, I also searched for fossilized oyster beds and petrified wood in the nearby areas.

Rockhounding is one of many recreational pursuits on 14 1/2 million acres of lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) in California. Collecting small, non-commercial quantities of rock by rockhounds is allowed free of charge on lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management. Commercial collecting for the purpose of sale or barter is not allowed without special authorization. Rockhounds may use hand tools such as shovels and picks, but must not use explosives or power equipment for excavation.

Petrified wood is available for collection on a free use basis in limited quantities as long as the collection is for personal, non-commercial purposes. According to Federal regulations, free use collection weights are limited to 25 pounds plus one piece per day, not to exceed 250 pounds in one calendar year, and no specimen greater than 250 pounds may be collected without a special permit.

Heading up the mountain.
IMG_0159-1.jpg

Narrow shelf roads on the way up.
IMG_0164-1.jpg

Camp near the summit.
IMG_0169.jpg

It appears the big horn sheep hang around here.
IMG_0166-1.jpg

Greeting a lone red tail hawk.
Hawk.jpg

Later that morning I was joined by Steve in his Lexus LX450 along with his two dobermans.
IMG_0178.jpg

Views from camp.
IMG_0182-1.jpg

Looking out over Carrizo Wash and Fish Mountain. We were just outside the Anza-Borrego State Park border.
IMG_0179-1.jpg

Exploring other old mining roads around the mountain.
IMG_0188-1.jpg

Views out to the Carrizo Badlands.
IMG_0198-1.jpg

Many of the trails came to dead-ends.
IMG_0202.jpg

My finds for the day. Petrified wood and fossilized reef / oyster beds.
IMG_0207.jpg

Sunset.
IMG_0215-1.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

We soon had the campfire and dinner going.
IMG_0226.jpg

The next day Steve headed home and I met up with Craig and his FJ.
IMG_0239.jpg

Casualty of the desert.
IMG_0240.jpg

Local resident.
IMG_0242.jpg

Our hunting grounds.
IMG_0243.jpg

The oyster beds were easy to find.
IMG_0244.jpg

The petrified wood took a bit more searching.
IMG_0250-1.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

Biggest piece I found.
IMG_0254-1.jpg

All my finds.
IMG_0258-1.jpg

IMG_0261-1.jpg

It was a beautiful weekend spent in the desert camping and rockhounding. One of these days I'd like to head into Mexico for the same thing. Just across the border is a very productive area for finding big chunks of petrified wood. I still have some large pieces that my dad and grandfather collected there many years ago.

7wt

Expedition Leader
Nice job. I've always loved the Carrizo Mountains. Your pics bring back good memories.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Nice!....:sombrero::costumed-smiley-007:ylsmoke:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
great pics and looks like a fun area
thanks for the rockhound info, I didn't know any of that and going out often with Boy Scouts that is good stuff to know.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I had a feeling this thread would be interesting...

... and I was not disappointed.

Thanks for sharing! :)

BorregoWrangler

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Where about was the camp site in the first picture.Any rd or intersection?NSEW of?

To get there: Take I-8 east to the Ocotillo exit and turn north. Then turn east on Even Hewes Highway (S80) and continue about 4.2 miles to Painted Gorge Road, on the left. That will take you through Plaster City OHV Area and eventually up the mountain.

When I get home I can look through my guidebooks for more accurate information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat