"Carro de Perro" Chevy Express AWD build

Introducing "Carro de perro" because dog van sounds so much cooler when you say it in spanish.

Why dog van? Well we spend a lot of time in the van with, you guessed it, dogs. So while not really an "expedition" rig, it feels like we are continually on an expedition. We drive about 700 miles a week hauling dogs to one training session or another.

Supporting three large dogs, three adults and a pomeranian along with the "necessary" equipment and supplies is a bit of a logistics challenge. The addition of the third dog meant that we had officially outgrown the Yukon, and needed something larger.

The influence of this site pointed us to a Chevy Express as a likely upgrade.
Our list of requirements went something like this:
More space
reasonable budget ( it is a dog van after all)
more space
AWD/4x4
more space
doors on both sides for ventilation
more space
decent mileage
more space
insulation for heat and cool
more space
front and rear heat and ac
more space

anyway you get the idea.

We looked at a lot of different options, all the way from an Astro van up to a long wheel base high roof sprinter, but kept coming back to the express.

We found this one that, other than the color, would have been what we would have ordered from the factory, that is if you could still order a 2003 model.

It started life as a conversion van and was one owner (not counting the dealer we bought it from). It has 188k on it, but the transmission was replaced two years ago. The interior wasn't perfect, and took up some of the room, but it did provide insulation, and window privacy shades. So this is where we started.
comingHome1.jpg

comingHome2.jpg

comingHome3.jpg

I took out the "extra" seating, and got to work on building a platform for two of the kennels in the back.

extrasremoved.jpg

They are "SUV" kennels, so they are 42 long, by 21 wide, by 30 tall. The platform is 15" off the floor and 48" deep to allow the kennels to fit on top, and 100 quart plastic totes underneath. The storage is divided to allow some support, (I even made a removable support in case it sags a little) but still have room to stack folded kennels if needed.

rearplatform.jpg

It started to snow, so I rushed out and got some 235/85/R16 BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 tires put on the stock wheels so I would be able to get to the store to get my milk sandwich ingredients. Okay I really got them so that when we got to the tracking fields we would be able to get back off. Most of our 700 miles a week are highway miles, but that little bit in the middle that is a dirt field is NOT where I want to get stuck, besides as you can see in the picture, you never know when it's going to snow in Colorado.

235_85_16.jpg

The van doesn't have a lift (yet), but I had no rubbing or fit issues at all with the new tires.

I still have to build some shelves between the rear kennels and a low platform to cover the captains chair base for the third kennel that goes on the drivers side and a shelf above it.

I will be using this thread to gather ideas and feedback as well as to keep myself motivated to finish things up. The extra space we have gained so far has been enough to justify the entire project, but there is still a lot of room (pardon the pun) for improvement.

Last edited:

kudzu

Thanks for sharing. Am looking for an affordable AWD van that can accommodate 3 adults & 3 large dogs while being able to pull a popup camper. The AWD Express/Savana looks like a good prospect for me & here you have already done what I want. Great!

4Fox

Observer
That's a good looking van Chris! Its always nice to see non white vans on here. Good luck on your build!

I got some more work done last night. The center shelves between the two rear kennels are done. One shelf is removable to add some flexibility.

rearCenter.jpg

Also finished the platform and parcel shelf for the front kennel. It is larger than the other two at 42 l by 28 w by 30 h.

frontkennel.jpg

And finally, the obligatory cupholders....

cupholders.jpg

Quick update, learned some things but no demonstrable progress.

I learned:
  • Adrian Steel gutter mount ladder racks from a 1998 Chevy G20 will not mount on my 2003 Express. I have an email in to the company to see if there are just different clamps I can buy to make the used rack I found work or not. I will keep you posted.
  • 20 smd led bulbs from cutequeen are too long for my dome lights, 5 smd (125 lumen) bulbs on order
  • my van does well in several inches of snow, it backed up a slight slope with no momentum and never spun a tire. Which was better than a couple of the 4x4 pickups that were there :ylsmoke:
WhySnowTires.png

Still debating on adding a front receiver hitch. Anyone have one on their van? Pros/Cons?

45Kevin

Adventurer
Still debating on adding a front receiver hitch. Anyone have one on their van? Pros/Cons?

I'm not interested in a front receiver hitch but I am looking to see what people do for a front recovery point on our AWD vans. I hope to get a winch mounted behind the stock front bumper eventually but a winch isn't a tow point.

I'm not interested in a front receiver hitch but I am looking to see what people do for a front recovery point on our AWD vans. I hope to get a winch mounted behind the stock front bumper eventually but a winch isn't a tow point.

Easy button: Aluminess

That being said, I was mainly planning to use the front receiver for a bike or motorcycle rack so the 500lb tongue weight was the limit I was looking at, but it states a 9000 lb straight line pull. SO it would seem a removable winch could be used there or even a receiver tow hook within reasonable angles.

Sure it is not ideal, but in my case, it's a dog van and not a rock crawler, so while I don't plan on getting stuck, if I did, a receiver tow hook for a straight pull to get me going again probably wouldn't be out of the question, assuming that all other safety precautions were observed.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator

IMG_20120319_172833.jpg

I added one to the front of my Astro for recovery purposes. So far, I haven't had to recover from it, but I feel better knowing it's there. It doesn't sit any lower than any other part of the bumper, but does stick slightly forward (I don't normally leave the shackle block installed). I've dragged it in some silt climbing out of a moon-dust wash, but I'm pretty sure I'd have dragged the lower bumper cover anyway.

Ignore the photos of the cheap HF shackle hardware - since upgraded to quality pieces.

For the front mount receiver, the lower air dam is already removed, so I am going to hang down a little lower than I am now, but I can probably get that clearance back, just by cranking the torsion keys a little in the front and adding a similar height block in the back. Right now, my front axles are higher near the wheels than at the diff, so raising it a bit should produce the same or better CV angles.

I have the same van... same conversion company as well, judging by door trim, etc in your photos. I used these LED bulbs:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-6-led-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/200/881/

I chose the Cool white & they are plenty bright - stealth camping you might consider 1/2 white and 1/2 red or blue lights.

Got the 5 smd bulbs. They are too long as well. Does anyone have suggestions for short T10 base leds?
194Bulbs.png

Last edited:
I have several domino chains of upgrades planned:

Chain 1: raise the van an inch or two. I have enough thread left on the rear u bolts that I could just add a 1" block and not do the suburban springs, and then crank the existing front keys an equal amount. The axles are currently higher at the wheels than the diff so other than the alignment, I should be getting some benefit in the cv angles for $0. The reason for the lift is to get back the approach angle I will loose to a front mounted receiver hitch.

Chain 2: ladder rack/observation platform. Again a frugal approach of looking for used Adrian Steel ladder racks. I would like four or five crossbars to support a platform I can stand on. So far I have found a couple of three bar sets that need some paint, but one set is off an older GMC G20 and the gutter mounts wouldn't tighten up, the other is off a ford and too far away to justify going by for a test fit. I think I could buy both sets for a total of somewhere close to $125 but I would still have to make them bolt up somehow. The rack/platform will then give me a place to mount an awing of some type. I may try a do it yourself 270 awning

Chain 3: extra ventilation/cooling while secure. With all the doors open, there is more than adequate ventilation to keep the interior temperature equal to ambient, especially if I find some shade to park in. The problem is that occasionally I would like to be able to leave the dogs in the car in a parking lot without me there. Just popping/cracking all the windows and enabling the child safety locks leaves the van secure, but doesn't provide enough airflow. I have a 10" ryobi fan than can move the air inside but circulating the inside air isn't enough. I saw the rear window vent fan that occasionaldirt did and am thinking along those lines, unless someone knows of a small AC unit that could be mounted in a similar fashion and just run off a small generator when needed. I really don't want to poke a hole in the roof. This is an occasional use kind of thing, and not for prolonged periods, think an hour or so MAX. Since I am starting with a conversion van, I was hoping my insulation needs would be met, but again a tip of the hat to occasionaldirt, I see there are lots of places I could improve it. Anyone have insights on the benefit versus the work? Is fiberglass really a concern? It would seem to be pretty well contained if I put it behind door panels etc.... And Chain 2 above should provide shade for the roof as an added plus.

Just thinking out loud and always looking for ideas....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL