Casita Offroad Conversion

bigskypylot

Explorer
Doing some searching through threads, I've stumbled upon this. There's not a lot of follow up as it's been sold and someone else continued the project but not much for updates since.

I think a 13ft or even the 16/17ft trailer would be perfect to get back to some places where 90% of the general public can't or won't go.

I'm interested in what suspension would work best (especially interested in a trailing arm). Other mods would probably be, lift, bigger tires (obviously), skid plates over sensitive areas, dual-pane windows, propex heater, front mount AC, lengthen tongue, storage box and rear full- size tire carrier.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/off-road-casita-project.102170/#js-post-1324981

bigskypylot

Explorer
Yup. I'm gonna hold on to that thread and glean as much info as I can from it. I started pricing out some of the offroad trailers and could find a nice used one of these and do some suspension work and still come in under what some of them come in at.
Looks like the buyer of that project hasn't been on since 2016 so I wouldn't hold out too much hope for an update.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

stclair

Adventurer
So....we just inherited a 2005 Spirit Deluxe 17' in August, and are thinking about making a couple changes to it. It has the high axle option, but we think a little more clearance would be nice. We plan increase the clearance, add solar, and replace the awning. We like to camp on Public Lands. A few mods and it'll be perfect! casita.JPG

yfarm

Observer
I did this to my Casita in June 2016, gained 5 1/2 inches of lift over the stock torsion axle with 14" tires. Went to 225 15 tires, measured recently and 32s would fit. Put 5k miles in 5 weeks after conversion, tracked fine and 12" brakes allowed descent down Monarch Pass with little tow vehicle braking.installed shock kit from Dexter at same time. Suspension is much more supple with the 4200 lb leaf springs. Wanted to go with longer than standard trailer leafs but gray and black water drains prevented. My recollection is that the trailer springs are 22" long. Looked into trailing arm conversion by ATC in Prescott AZ but was told Casita too heavy at 2600lbs for their system. Still own trailer, haven't found anything that does what it does. Shower, toilet AC shell design doesn't leak. Only thing better would be Oliver for cold weather. First pic after, second before. My trailer is a 2002, paid 9k to original owner, had conversion done by Little House Customs for $1100. Put Orbital Machine receiver hitch on back of trailer with ATV cargo carrier with plastic cargo box for grill, cords hoses etc. with elevated ATV carrier does not reduce departure angle. Next is Orbital Machine platform above propane tanks for Honda 2000.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 249
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 214
Last edited:

Bikedawg

We started with the OMW's 3" lift w/their shock kit on a "high lift" axle on our 2013 ID, it was very well engineered, a snap to install and improved the ride program smartly.
However, when Larry @ LHC mentioned if all the OMW's offerings had been installed including the 18" super cool tongue extension, the stock axle was likely overloaded and indeed he was correct as he seems to be always.
So, to remedy we went with his reccomendation of a 5200# axle on 4200# leaf springs conversion with shocks and significantly reinforced the frame in hopes to avoid the bending issues others had reported on the Casita forums.
While I understand this height might not be for everyone it'll serve our purposes of roaming up onto Western Mesas with more piece of mind that comes with the heavier axle, bigger bearings, brakes, 265/75 16" E rated LT tires and a WD hitch.
I've yet to get it back on the CAT scale, but previously loaded with water and four MTB's it tipped 3800#'s, my guess now is it'll be closer to 4000#'s.20181229_141940_resized.jpg

Last edited:

Bikedawg

A stern view of the lift program.
Some old school rubber fender flares are on deck for install with mud flaps tucked up and under to keep things tidy.
The wheel wells got a heavy hit of bed liner to protect the gel coat.
The new TV will get a triple or quad reciever hitch upgrade mod to carry a TW200 between the truck and trailer.
The bike carrier on the propane box will be rearranged to carry 3 maybe 4 MTB's.
A carryall box might find its way to the stern.
Flexible roof top solar will aid with underway charging duties while the current camp site tri-panel fold out panels will handle charging duties parked.
A work in progress as they say...

.20181229_142001.jpg

Last edited:

zimm17

Observer
Is that's a 4" raised axle, or a standard D52? I'm going to do the leaf spring 5200 axle but yours looks taller than others I've seen. I also think I want to run LT225/75R16E tires which are 29.5x8.9". I'm not actually off-roading the Casita, but I want to match my Jeep a little better.

Bikedawg

It is sitting on a standard axle with tallish shackles attached to some extra steel surrounding the original channel frame for reinforcement. The tires are admittedly tall but will hopefully "float" thru soft sand.

zimm17

Observer
It can’t be a standard axle, the beam is lower than the axle hub. Must be a 4” drop with a spring over. Do you have any pics up close?

Bikedawg

As I recall the axle & springs run about $500.
Wheels and tires are whatever you desire.
We had a bolt on axle originally so it was an easy take off.
The extra steel to strengten the frame wasn't much.
Hope that helps ya out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism