Chaining Up tips requested

shanz3n5

Adventurer
CHAINING UP THE RIG....
Ok im looking for tips or advice on setting up snow/ice chains. Growing up in upstate ny i learned qwkly in freezing temps and repetitive chain ups as u passed through & between snow/ice and clear roadways, it was easier, faster, dryer and warm, to simply change the tires with pre rigged chain tires. I continued that for now almost 30 yrs as i have travel to and from different parts of the country and living in socal.
Now that i have modified my rig with a utility bed and FWC, weighing in at 10k lbs, carrying a large floor jack and two spares is out.
Ive seen a few newer types of qwk and easy chains, cables, and different traction devices.
Next week i will be road tripping from Corona Ca to Brookings Or. 80% of that travel on clear roads. With a few days in the mountains of Arnold Ca (just north of Yosemite) and the mountain range between Redding and Eureka.
So... Hook me up, what r some of u running for traction and how r u chaining up...fronts, rears, all 4, 1f & 1r ???
Thanx

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
From my experience of living in snow country for over 30 years (thankfully now living in AZ and loving the winters). California R2 requires just the drive tires to be chained up, unless you have 4WD with snow tires, if it get to R3 either go to a Motel or wait until the road clears.

Make sure your chains fit your tires, try them out in your garage before leaving.

Method. Drap the chains over the top of the tire, hook the inside latch at the bottom, hook and lock the outside latch. Drive forward a few feet tighten the outside latch, fit the rubber tension ring to the chains and your off.

Tensioning the chains to the correct setting is most peoples down fall. Work out the correct rear tightness in your garage, tension the front of the chains initially to set them snug, then drive forward to allow the chains to place themselves in the correct location then do the final adjustment.

When I worked at a ski area in New Zealand I'd see the big truck and bus drivers roll the tires onto 2X4 blocks so the tire was off the road and then fit the chains. This allowed them to tension the chains to the correct setting without driving the vehicle forwards a few feet. Used to carry a couple of 2X4 blocks when I lived in snow country and didn't have a 4WD.

shanz3n5

Adventurer
Thats where my mind is.... Im rusty so ill play with set up today. Regarding the R1, 2 & 3 in Ca.... Is there a specific material required, chain, cable, synthetic? I saw those Spyder hub mounted and others that i was thinking for front traction and steering. It is a 4x4 as well. Many moons ago i hit black ice in flagstaff at night.... How i wound up in the middle lane facing the right direction???? Luck. Ha. Thanx for advice.

1stDeuce

Explorer
There's a nice thread on tire chains currently in General Vehicle Mods too. Do you really have to chain up non-commercial vehicles if you have 4wd and "M+S" rated tires in CA?? That seems like a bit of overkill... CO only requires commercial vehicles to chain up, though I think technically you're supposed to chain up if you don't have "all season" tires. Which is just about nobody these days. I've yet to be on an actual road open to traffic where I felt I needed to be chained up... Call me crazy... :)

mallthus

Pretty good at some stuff
From dot.ca.gov...

TYPES OF CHAIN CONTROLS:
During the winter months, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are three requirements in California.

Requirement One (R1): Chains, traction devices or snow tires are required on the drive axle of all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles.

Requirement Two (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
(NOTE: Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)

Requirement Three (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.

SNOW-TREAD TIRES:
The California vehicle code section 558 defines a snow-tread tire as follows, " A 'Snow-tread tire' is a tire which has a relatively deep and aggressive tread pattern compared with conventional passenger tread pattern". Snow-tread tires can be identified by examining the sidewall of the tire where the letters MS, M/S, M+S or the words MUD AND SNOW have been stamped into the sidewall.

Tire Traction Devices:

The California vehicle code section 605 defines tire traction devices as follows: " Tire Traction Devices are devices or mechanisms having a composition and design capable of improving vehicle traction, braking and cornering ability upon snow or ice-covered surfaces. Tire traction devices shall be constructed and assembled to provide sufficient structural integrity and to prevent accidental detachment from vehicles. Tire traction devices shall, at the time of manufacture or final assembly, bear a permanent impression indicating the name, initials or trademark of the assembling company or primary manufacturer, and the country in which the devices were manufactured or assembled in final form."

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
I run a heavy duty set of V bar chains on the rear of my tacoma. Never been down a road that I needed them on. Only busted them out for off pavement travel.
Then again I live in the mountains of Idaho where they just assume that you know how to drive in the snow and wouldn't dare require chains because that is way too much government interference hahah
I am super happy with my chains they live in the truck year round. I travel a lot for work all over the western united states in the taco. Just because this part of idaho don't care does not mean other states do not.
Cheers

Arclight

SAR guy
FYI, I've never seen a road in CA that was R3 and not closed by the Highway Patrol. Maybe they allow residents and/or essential personnel through, but in general you'll never be asked to do more than display your chains at a checkpoint if you have a 4WD and decent tires. Now SHOULD you use chains? I do whenever it's hard, icy snow and slow going.

Arclight

shanz3n5

Adventurer
From dot.ca.gov...

TYPES OF CHAIN CONTROLS:
During the winter months, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are three requirements in California.

Requirement One (R1): Chains, traction devices or snow tires are required on the drive axle of all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles.

Requirement Two (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
(NOTE: Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)

Requirement Three (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.

SNOW-TREAD TIRES:
The California vehicle code section 558 defines a snow-tread tire as follows, " A 'Snow-tread tire' is a tire which has a relatively deep and aggressive tread pattern compared with conventional passenger tread pattern". Snow-tread tires can be identified by examining the sidewall of the tire where the letters MS, M/S, M+S or the words MUD AND SNOW have been stamped into the sidewall.

Tire Traction Devices:

The California vehicle code section 605 defines tire traction devices as follows: " Tire Traction Devices are devices or mechanisms having a composition and design capable of improving vehicle traction, braking and cornering ability upon snow or ice-covered surfaces. Tire traction devices shall be constructed and assembled to provide sufficient structural integrity and to prevent accidental detachment from vehicles. Tire traction devices shall, at the time of manufacture or final assembly, bear a permanent impression indicating the name, initials or trademark of the assembling company or primary manufacturer, and the country in which the devices were manufactured or assembled in final form."

Thanks mallthus for digging that up. Excellent info

shanz3n5

Adventurer
I run a heavy duty set of V bar chains on the rear of my tacoma. Never been down a road that I needed them on. Only busted them out for off pavement travel.
Then again I live in the mountains of Idaho where they just assume that you know how to drive in the snow and wouldn't dare require chains because that is way too much government interference hahah
I am super happy with my chains they live in the truck year round. I travel a lot for work all over the western united states in the taco. Just because this part of idaho don't care does not mean other states do not.
Cheers

Thanx. Good info. Sent PM regarding Idaho

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
FYI, I've never seen a road in CA that was R3 and not closed by the Highway Patrol. Maybe they allow residents and/or essential personnel through, but in general you'll never be asked to do more than display your chains at a checkpoint if you have a 4WD and decent tires. Now SHOULD you use chains? I do whenever it's hard, icy snow and slow going.

Arclight

Once in 30 years on 267 over Brockway Summit.

craig333

Expedition Leader
One I wasn't aware of when I got back from Moab there were chain controls on I-80 over the Sierra's. No problem I thought, I have 4wd and Snow tires. I was towing though and didn't know if you're towing you must chain up both truck and trailer. Of course I didn't have chains for the trailer. Funny thing after 14 hours on the road it was easy to just a chain monkey my credit card :)

Roaming Gnome

I run a heavy lift crane truck in some remote areas of B.C. Chaining up my rig is a regular thing in winter. Chaining my big truck can be a process(3 drive axles, 2 steer axles) if you're running anything with duals a 5th wheel pin puller is a god send to get the centre chain through the duals and an all around handy tool to have around.
For single tires the best cable chains I've used are the ccs z-chains. Had them for my Pathfinder and could do all four corners in 5 min. They have a hook on the inner side and have a few different links to choose from on the outer. They come with a circular bungie with clips that grab multiple points on the outer tensioning cable and tighten as you drive. No need to stop and adjust. Simple and fast.
For my Titan I got real chains. V-bar cam locks for the rear and just cam locks for the front because of clearance. These are the same i have for my big trucks and take a bit more time to put on. I drape the chain over the tire, tuck the front ladder of the chain under the tire. Get into the truck and drive forward until the trailing ladder is half way up the back of the tire. This way your connection points are easier to work on. Hook them up, lock your cams and put your 6-arm spider bungies on. I check them after a few km but seldom have to adjust anything.

Tips,
bring more than one t-handle for your cam locks, snow eats those things
always throw in a few add-a-links incase your break a chain
and if you think your should have chains on...you should already have your chains on.

just my.02

shanz3n5

Adventurer
I run a heavy lift crane truck in some remote areas of B.C. Chaining up my rig is a regular thing in winter. Chaining my big truck can be a process(3 drive axles, 2 steer axles) if you're running anything with duals a 5th wheel pin puller is a god send to get the centre chain through the duals and an all around handy tool to have around.
For single tires the best cable chains I've used are the ccs z-chains. Had them for my Pathfinder and could do all four corners in 5 min. They have a hook on the inner side and have a few different links to choose from on the outer. They come with a circular bungie with clips that grab multiple points on the outer tensioning cable and tighten as you drive. No need to stop and adjust. Simple and fast.
For my Titan I got real chains. V-bar cam locks for the rear and just cam locks for the front because of clearance. These are the same i have for my big trucks and take a bit more time to put on. I drape the chain over the tire, tuck the front ladder of the chain under the tire. Get into the truck and drive forward until the trailing ladder is half way up the back of the tire. This way your connection points are easier to work on. Hook them up, lock your cams and put your 6-arm spider bungies on. I check them after a few km but seldom have to adjust anything.

Tips,
bring more than one t-handle for your cam locks, snow eats those things
always throw in a few add-a-links incase your break a chain
and if you think your should have chains on...you should already have your chains on.

just my.02

perfect info and description. I just got back from trip. weather was amazing. only needed to put on once and it was due to black ice not snow. as i passed thru the trinity forest pass the road was wet and the winding mnt canyon road temps were hi 40's. Watching the sun set times and temps i was trying to make it thru before temps dropped to freeze the ground. Tough call to put on or not. An old timer local approached me as i was refueling and said we should plan on camping out, or chain up and drive slow so not to ruin chains on the clean roads. Wisdom i should have followed. 30 minutes later i slid off the road but into the in-turn. the black ice came qwk. in a bad spot now to chain up. drove off the roadway and camped. lesson learned, just like your last sentence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online