Charge lithium battery

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
My lithium battery died. For some reason my DC- DC charger did not keep it up.
I'm not home and I'm wondering if I could charge it with a regular battery charger to get enough voltage to charge with the DC DC charger.

crazysccrmd

Observer
That should work. The usual problem with a standard charger on a lithium battery is the inability to bring voltage high enough for a full charge.

dstefan

An AGM setting would work if you have it.

Battleborn recommended this charger to me, and it’s been awesome. It has a Lithium setting already programmed, but you can custom program any settings you want. The guys at Battleborn reviewed the settings with me on the phone and gave me settings for a custom profile. It works great.

The hidden beauty of this charger is you can also use it as a 12 V power source!

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Thanks

Like said, I'm not at home with my charger but can get a inexpensive charger at Harbor freight.

I'll give it a try.

chet6.7

Explorer
An AGM setting would work if you have it.

Battleborn recommended this charger to me, and it’s been awesome. It has a Lithium setting already programmed, but you can custom program any settings you want. The guys at Battleborn reviewed the settings with me on the phone and gave me settings for a custom profile. It works great.

The hidden beauty of this charger is you can also use it as a 12 V power source!

All I see is the amazon a. Could you give the name of the product? Thanks.

dstefan

All I see is the amazon a. Could you give the name of the product? Thanks.
Sure. Its listed as:

Victron Energy Blue Smart IP65 12-Volt 15 amp Battery Charger with NEMA 1-15 Plug (Bluetooth)​

Its a great charger. Think theres also 30 amp version, but this one is perfect for my 100 ah Battleborn.

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
If it doesnt charge right away (due to bms activated) you might have to use another 12 volt battery and connect them together/ disconnect right away and do it several times to get the bms to restart. There are videos on youtube that show how its done.
Any 14.4 volt lead acid charger will work with lifepo4 (max charge of lifepo4 is 14.6 volts) . The only feature not needed by lithium is the equalization (renew) feature (but those are usually found on the expensive chargers).

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
If it doesnt charge right away (due to bms activated) you might have to use another 12 volt battery and connect them together/ disconnect right away and do it several times to get the bms to restart. There are videos on youtube that show how its done.
Any 14.4 volt lead acid charger will work with lifepo4 (max charge of lifepo4 is 14.6 volts) . The only feature not needed by lithium is the equalization (renew) feature (but those are usually found on the expensive chargers).
Yes, I had to use my power supply for my trucker oven to trick the battery charger into charging. It only took a second and battery was showing 12 volts.
Charged it up to 13 volts.
Had a couple loose connections on the DC the DC charger so I should be good to go from here on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle