Chariot Trailer Camper Build

richcz28

Hey All,

I'm new to this forum, but I have done some reading and this looks like a good place to get support for my build. I just picked up a Chariot motorcycle trailer. I got it used for a decent price. If you are unfamiliar with these they are all fiberglass with a steel frame.

http://chariotmanufacturing.com/browse-trailers/cycle-shuttle-11-0/

I had debated between doing an M416 or the like with a camper shell or even possibly getting a small Scamp, until I found this locally for the right price.

My needs are; a dry place to sleep without much setup, a place for my dog to sleep who is deathly afraid of tents, the ability to haul my Yamaha 125 if I want, and a place for tools and spare parts for my Blazer.

Here are some pictures of what I am working with.

Attachments

• IMG_1868.jpg
    IMG_1868.jpg
    526.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1871.jpg
    IMG_1871.jpg
    506.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1874.jpg
    IMG_1874.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 72

richcz28

Ok, so all my pictures are facing different directions for some reason? I hope you are using a lap top to manually adjust them.

So, I am currently putting all my spare time into my Blazer and this build won't really get started until I am finished. Here are my are my first objectives when I do get into it.

Short Term

-Slight lift with larger tires and possibly wheel spacers to use a 6 lug pattern.
-Gut interior paneling and paint the inside
-Patch a couple small holes and cracks
-replace tie downs inside with new stainless hardware
-build a loft bed on some telescoping pillars(unless I come up with a better idea
-small kitchen area in the front with a sink

long term

-rock rails
-expedition style trailer hitch
-solar panels and battery storage
-propane heat
-rear awning / screen tent
-outdoor shower

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Nice looking trailer.

I would remove the Harley stickers to keep low key.

Attachments

• IMG_1874.jpg
    IMG_1874.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1871.jpg
    IMG_1871.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1868.jpg
    IMG_1868.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 57

richcz28

Yeah, those stickers are definitely going. Unfortunately they have been on so long they just crumble when you try to peel them. I was self conscious just driving it home to my house. It may end up being OD green in the long run to match my truck.

Also, thanks for fixing my pics.

Septu

Explorer
Looks like a decent starting platform. Small enough that you can still get it on the trail if you wanted.

Only pissoff is that their website doesn't include prices. Can't stand it when companies do that.

richcz28

I called them to see what they go for new. Without any options it was in the ballpark of 4500. This one has a door, roof vent, and window, so it would have been a fair amount more.

richcz28

I picked up two tires for the trailer that I found brand new for a deal on craigslist. They are 33x12.5r15(same as my truck). I have also ordered a new axle with 6 lug hubs to match my truck. It is coming from dexter axle. The axle is a 3500lb with electric brakes and has the potential to setup an e-brake. It's a rubber torsion axle with a 22 degree downward drop. The 45 degree downward drop is not available with an e-brake. My next step will be to remove my fenders and get this installed. I will need some serious trailer fenders to clear the new rubber.

I finally got all the stickers off which was a process that was helped by a hairdryer and lots of goo gone. I stripped the interior and tossed all the paneling and carpet. I still have some leftover glue from the carpet and paneling, but it may not be worth removing. I will take some pictures of this soon. I have decided to paint the trailer a desert tan. I think this will help keep it cool. I want to get the inside floors and halfway up coated with a durable finish like rhino lining, but I haven't made a final decision on that yet.

Attachments

• IMG_2058.jpg
    IMG_2058.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 44

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Nice! My same situation and almost the same reasoning (wife dislikes the tents, dog just likes to tear them). Good luck with it.

Don

-

richcz28

It took a little longer than expected for my axle to ship, but it bolted up perfectly. I tried my spare from my truck on today and it fits great. I will be tracking down a couple chevy wheels this week to get my new tires mounted up. I have about 20 inches of ground clearance all the way around.

u7apezaj.jpg

rockwood

Adventurer
Nice! My same situation and almost the same reasoning (wife dislikes the tents, dog just likes to tear them). Good luck with it.

Don

-

Had a bear tear into my tent once. Dumb ***. No food.....Clearly been well trained by other campers. Best part, I wasn't there that night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues