Cheap and easy oil leak repair?

Doorplease

Explorer
My 89 V6 Montero developed a nasty oil leak recently. Everything was fine until I changed the oil and switched from my usual Valvoline Next Gen, to Castrol (something or other.) I hopped on the highway and drove about 20 miles then stopped at a gas station and saw a pool of black under my car. I figured it wasnt me but to be sure i checked anyway. To my horror it looked as if a quart of oil exploded over my front suspension. I figured it was the oil pan gasket but upon further inspection it would appear to be a leaky head gasket on the drivers side at the front of the engine? (I apologize if that is a stupid description, I'm no trained mechanic I just find problems follow instructions and fix them). I was wondering if anyone had any luck with a Stopleak or even using an epoxy from the outside to repair/massively slow the leak or any other quick fix, as its not in my budget to pay for a tear down to change the gasket. Although i probably should due to the engine burning oil like its gasoline and my millage being a steady 14mpg. I am also considering an engine swap? any suggestions on crate engines at reasonable prices? Cheers!

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I'm guessing you mean the valve cover gasket since the headgasket can't be readily seen.

Change the gasket and do it your self. The part is really cheap.

Do not use a stop leak unless you want problems down the road and definitely do not epoxy the outside. You can double check to make sure all the bolts holding on the valve cover are tight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater