Cheap trick: Cooling system mod

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
So i originally had the Volvo fan setup which worked great BUT the aftermarket radiator i bought last year lasted only 1 year. I guess 1 year warranty means it only lasts one year, so i decided to go to a crossflow dual pass aluminum radiator and go back to a clutch fan. Since i had the thermal switch already from the old fan setup i repurposed it to ground the auxiliary fan at 195 and turn off at 185 degrees, It works on the factory circuit and basically just bypasses the A/C fan switch automatically. Works great! Here's some pictures and i think it's a mod worth doing for anyone, these switches are about $40 from painless. Extra airflow when you need it.

DSC_0652.jpg

DSC_0653.jpg

Ralliart Montero HA HA HA!

DSC_0654.jpg

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Slick set-up.
It's always nice to use what you've got...
Well done.

Toasty

Little to no difference on power and milage but i have 35's and a lot of extra steel, i pretty much get 15mpg in town and 17 on the highway that's it. The main thing with the electric fan was how awesome it kept everything cool out on the trail in the summer. We mostly rock crawl here in Az so minimal air flow and maximum heat generation. We'll see how i does with the Aluminum radiator/clutch fan/Aux fan setup.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Little to no difference on power and milage but i have 35's and a lot of extra steel, i pretty much get 15mpg in town and 17 on the highway that's it. The main thing with the electric fan was how awesome it kept everything cool out on the trail in the summer. We mostly rock crawl here in Az so minimal air flow and maximum heat generation. We'll see how i does with the Aluminum radiator/clutch fan/Aux fan setup.

How well did the stock alternator handle the electric fan and winch at the same time?

Toasty

Would probably put it on it's knees at first, especially if you were winching and then the fan kicked on. Stock alternator is only 100 amps, it would get the job done though. Typically in a severe winch session (lets say 3-4 hours of winch climbing) you need another hour minimum of running without winching to get back to a safe to shut down charge SO with the big fan i'd add a half hour if it's running.

This is assuming you are using some kind of deep cycle battery and appropriately sized winch (not too big not too small).

GrassCat

Adventurer
Hey Adam,
Did you make that ugly bumper? If so I want one without the bull bars and while you at it I need a rear one also (without the bull bars).

I'll come get them.

Toasty

Sure did! i'm gonna make another bumper for my latest rig, going to try to match some of that one's character.

When you want to come to Az for a few weeks? :sombrero:

GrassCat

Adventurer
Sure did! i'm gonna make another bumper for my latest rig, going to try to match some of that one's character.

When you want to come to Az for a few weeks? :sombrero:

Gotta put some new tires on the motorhome first. Next January if it's still decent weather there. I'll drag the GrassCat behind it.

Toasty

We'll have to hang out and hit some trails, you can weld right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach