Chevy AWD Van Build - Butch Van Walterdalen

TheEL

Observer
Just looking for a little help. About to pull the trigger on an AWD 2009 GMC Savana cargo. Looking to replace my Subaru Forester as a camp/surf/snow mobile. Im as dumb as a door when it comes to mechanical things. Looking to learn. Rust is kind of a concern for its location so I got the dealer to send me a picture of the under carriage and wanted to know if any red flags pop up for anyone?

Any help would be appreciated.

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 1.43.25 PM.jpg

Last edited:

ihatemybike

Explorer
Looks like normal undercarriage surface rust, no biggie. I'd want good pics of the rocker panels and inside the wheel wells.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
After living in the north east, I've seen some nasty rust problems...
That undercarriage looks to be in good shape, but it's a limited veiw.

TheEL

Observer
Thanks for the feedback guys. Unfortunately someone swooped it up today before I could grab it this weekend.

I never thought that finding the right van with the simplest of options would be this tough. Ah well, wasn't meant to be. On with the search!

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Thanks for the feedback guys. Unfortunately someone swooped it up today before I could grab it this weekend.

I never thought that finding the right van with the simplest of options would be this tough. Ah well, wasn't meant to be. On with the search!

Finding a stripped awd cargo van without a ton of miles is tough. I looked for several months and had to drive three states away to grab mine.

Good luck!

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Acting fast is part of buying a van, trust me I know I've bought total of 4 of them. Every time it was do or miss out.

TheEL

Observer
Still on the hunt. This one looks great on paper, but down below is another story. This is a 2013. Im feeling like thats a lot of rust for a three year old car, no?

imagejpeg_0.jpgPhoto May 11, 8 15 15 AM.jpg
Photo May 11, 8 14 36 AM.jpgPhoto May 11, 8 15 21 AM.jpg
Photo May 11, 8 14 40 AM.jpgPhoto May 11, 8 15 32 AM.jpg
Photo May 11, 8 14 40 AM.jpgPhoto May 11, 8 15 35 AM.jpg
Photo May 11, 8 15 12 AM.jpgPhoto May 11, 8 15 39 AM.jpg

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Looks fairly normal for any car driving 3 winters in the northern Midwest or east coast. That's mild to moderate rust on the frame bits. There are no obvious holes, or large flaking pieces. From the limited view it doesn't appear to have affected the body.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Nothing I see in those photos would require more than some light wire-brushing and the spray of your choice to solve.

TheEL

Observer
Thanks for chiming in guys. Next question, if it has the FE9 RPO code for federal emissions is it ok to be smogged and registered in CA?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Thanks for chiming in guys. Next question, if it has the FE9 RPO code for federal emissions is it ok to be smogged and registered in CA?

It can have the FE9 code AND have one of several california-specific codes. Look for NB2, NB6, NB6, NC1, NC6, NC8, VJ9, YF5, or possibly NN5 which are all various related emissions codes. VJ9 and YF5 are probably the most direct California certification codes.

Here's a complete list.

TheEL

Observer
It can have the FE9 code AND have one of several california-specific codes. Look for NB2, NB6, NB6, NC1, NC6, NC8, VJ9, YF5, or possibly NN5 which are all various related emissions codes. VJ9 and YF5 are probably the most direct California certification codes.

Here's a complete list.

You are a wealth of knowledge. Thank you.

It doesnt have any of those codes. But as I understand it, a used vehicle is exempt after 7500 miles if it doesnt not have the YF5 code.

Just want to confirm that this vehicle would be ok driving in california. I know I really wouldn't know until it passes the test.

TheEL

Observer
Hey all,

I found a 2007 awd express in LA with low miles AND I AM NOW THE PROUD OWNER OF HER! Its a white cargo van with rear windows.

Been looking since December. I feel really lucky to have finally found one in LA.

Now my question to the people here is where to start. I plan on using it as a surf/camp mobile. Id like to build a platform in the back for a bed with storage underneath. Insulate it. Put a fan in the roof(but possibly get a topper for it first). Maybe add two side windows? It could use new tires and id also like to get the 2" lift kit from boulder offroad vans. Should I also look into the rear handling kit as well? New suspension would be nice too.

Im a little overwhelmed with the options at the moment. Since there are so many people here with so much experience I just wonder if there is a good order of operations for all of this to occur. Do you wish you would have done somethings before others? Just looking for some advice. Also, anyone with a tip on a good shop to work with in the los angeles area would be greatly appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete