Chevy AWD

r_w

Adventurer
Hmmm, IIRC the 99-06 chevy lift keys are actually factory FORD F150 keys. Really cheap if you can find them in a junkyard.

zuren

Adventurer
Hmmm, IIRC the 99-06 chevy lift keys are actually factory FORD F150 keys. Really cheap if you can find them in a junkyard.

I've read that using Ford keys on Chevy's is a cheap and popular torsion bar lift among the GM truck guys. The Ford keys are indexed a bit differently.

The Suspension Kit Used to raise my Chevrolet Express 1500 is the Suspension Maxx Part #MAXXCAM2 Level Kit for 1999-2006 Chevrolet 1500 with 2" Lift Blocks for Rear Axle, Skyjacker #H7003 Front Shocks and Skyjacker #H7017 Rear Shocks. The Tires Used are 265/75/16 Kenda Klever A/T on factory steel rims. Total increased ground clearance is 6". Still trying to decide on rims, very limited on styles due to the side sliding cargo door that hits/rubs wider rims.

Figures someone would find a solution to this just after I put new shocks on mine! How do the CV axle angles look up front? Will you be changing them out every 30k miles because you're blowing up CV joints? Thanks for the work and the post!

zuren

Adventurer
On a bit of a separate note but definitely related to AWD Chevy Vans - has anyone encountered problems or noise with their front differentials yet?

GM uses the AAM 7.25" IFS AWD front axle in these full size vans (there are AWD and 4WD versions). My front diff. is making noise and after some research, it seems these AWD versions have problems in many of GM's offerings; to where complete replacement is needed in many cases. I'm getting ready to pull mine, rebuild a used one in good shape and bolt it in.

brianr513

2006 AWD Chevrolet Express Lift

r-w/Zuren,
I have done quite a bit of research and inspection of the F150 Index Keys. They are actually weak compared to the GM part. The MAXX Suspension keys will also allow for a 2.5" drop. They are 10 times stronger, a very stout product. You would have to take all the tools with you to safely remove the keys on a junk truck and to take a chance on the used part to have cracks just isn't worth it. This van rides smoother than it did before the lift, shocks and new E-Rated tires with 65lbs. of air pressure. The lift kit probably would have allowed 4.5" but I carefully watched for bind on the CV joints, ball joints and didn't want to hit the upper bump stops. Have roughly about 3,000 miles so far and no problems, no noises and no wrenching on it since lift install. VERY happy with the outcome. Hope I can find a set of aftermarket rims that will work with my sliding door.
Zuren, I really liked your AWD to 4WD Conversion write up. Haven't needed 4 wheel Low yet, but if the AWD transfer case goes south I will do a conversion. I hope to have pictures soon {Taken in Daylight}. NOTE: My van currently has 172,000 miles on it with all the original drivetrain, no noises. I change all fluids @ 20,000 mile intervals. The only problem I have is a leaking front differential seal [Minor] which showed up prior to the lift install. My transmission buddy said I might have over filled the differential, I will keep an eye on it.

Last edited:

wookee

Re: More to Come!
The Suspension Kit Used to raise my Chevrolet Express 1500 is the Suspension Maxx Part #MAXXCAM2 Level Kit for 1999-2006 Chevrolet 1500 with 2" Lift Blocks for Rear Axle, Skyjacker #H7003 Front Shocks and Skyjacker #H7017 Rear Shocks. The Tires Used are 265/75/16 Kenda Klever A/T on factory steel rims. Total increased ground clearance is 6". Still trying to decide on rims, very limited on styles due to the side sliding cargo door that hits/rubs wider rims.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this suspension setup. Any updates on ride or CV wear?
Thanks!

brianr513

2006 Chevrolet Express AWD Lift

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this suspension setup. Any updates on ride or CV wear?
Thanks!

Wookee,
So far the ride is just as good or better than before lift was installed. Factory CV Joint angle was about 20 degrees sloping down from wheel to diff. Now the angle is about 20 degrees sloping the opposite way, so there is no change. No bind, no noises, no change in gas milage, even though I'm running a bigger tire. 1,500 more miles since last thread. Love the new look!

foytix

We need pictures lol. My van finally came in yesterday (ordered august). I've been planning on lifting it about 2 in, so I'm glad to see it done. What color were your keys? I've also got a sliding door so we've got to figure out something for that. Great posts.

DoOver

Hi I'm new

I just found you guys because I'm looking at a buying a new 2011 GMC AWD 1500 Savana. BrianR do you think that the torsion bars on your 06 and the 11 are the same?
Instead of a lift block in the rear, I wonder how new leaf springs from a 2500 or 3500 would work?
The tires on the 11 are 17"s.
Great work on your transfer case installation.

Brian

brianr513

Foytix,
My keys were green. I have installed this lift on (3) other vans, all with different color keys. Blue, orange, green. Same results. I do believe the key colors don't matter here. I did a side by side comparison and didn't see any difference. Maybe the indexing but this kit has multi-indexing options, you could even lower your van if you want.

DoOver,
I do believe the torsion bars are the same. The heavier duty springs may work but I like the softer ride with the 1/2 ton springs. The tires you can use would be 265/75/17 or 265/70/17. The 285/75/17 will work but i found the 285's did rub a little bit.

Update,
My 2006 van still is doing great. No problems, great ride, no noises. I will post pictures when weather allows, been busy at work and weather (rain) hasn't allowed me to keep it clean enough for good pictures. This spring I will be adding new wheels, winch, push bar and off road lights.

foytix

ordered some stuff today

set of GM white torsion keys $63.76
full set Bilstein 5100 shocks $319.80
waiting to pull the trigger on the lift blocks, my bud has some factory blocks he took off his GMC truck I'm going to measure those before ordering anything.....can't beat free.

I test mounted a 265-75-16 and AR 16x8 wheel with 4.5in of backspacing to check the sliding door clearance yesterday. The door would open but would rub the tire when it got closer to the end of the track. I think with the extra 1.5-2in of lift in the rear this is going to be a non-issue and if it is I'll just deal with it. I could get some 17x8in wheels with more backspacing but I really liked how they sat in the fender. So looks like I'll be ordering some 17x8 ATX Mojave wheels with BFG all terrains 265-70-17.

foytix

sweet, the shocks came in today. That was some super fast shipping, that I didn't pay for. Props to shockwarehouse.com on that :ylsmoke:

4x4x4doors

Explorer
I test mounted a 265-75-16 and AR 16x8 wheel with 4.5in of backspacing to check the sliding door clearance yesterday. The door would open but would rub the tire when it got closer to the end of the track. I think with the extra 1.5-2in of lift in the rear this is going to be a non-issue and if it is I'll just deal with it. I could get some 17x8in wheels with more backspacing but I really liked how they sat in the fender. So looks like I'll be ordering some 17x8 ATX Mojave wheels with BFG all terrains 265-70-17.

Digging back into the non-indexed part of the memory banks here but I'm thinking someone made a longer mounting point/mechanism for the sliding door that helped by pushing the open door further away from the body. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

brianr513

Foytix,
I was going to try the white GM index keys. Let us know how they work. Now that I have done a few of these installs I don't think I will try anything but the MAXX Kit. I like the way these key are indexed. I really love the ride of my van using the stock spring components, Maxx Kit and the Skyjacker shocks. Let us know how the Bilstein's work. I'm curious about the Bilsteins vs. Skyjackers. I will have pics soon.

4x4x4Doors,
I have tried to locate a original kit for the older style vans that allow the extention of doors for the fat tires the used to put on these customized vans back in the 70's-80's. I was going to see if the extentions could be retrofitted to fit the new style Express/Savanah Vans. No kit available for this new model van.

foytix

GM Part # ..... Cam angle ..... Color Code
15045171 ............ 4º ............ Purple (comes stock on 2500 series; not sure which others)
15657374 ............ 9º ............ Blue
15603963 ........... 12º ........... Orange
15592573 ........... 14º ........... Green (comes stock on 1500 series; typical upgrade swap-in part for 2500 owners)
15592574 ........... 18º ........... White (perhaps GM's equivalent to the Ford keys?)
http://www.z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/lofiversion/index.php/t24245.html

I've got the blue keys now so it was either the green or the white. I went with the white, 9 degree diff over a 5 degree. The keys came down to a cost factor with me, unlike the shocks where I was willing to spend more. I've always had extremely good luck with the bilstein ride quality. I really wanted the 5160 series with remote resi's but end the end couldn't justify doubling the price of the shocks. Besides the only hard off-road this will be seeing is the soft and rutted beaches of the OBX, and nothing above 25mph I'm sure.

I have been thinking about the sliding door. I don't think I'll have any clearance issues with the wheels I'm thinking about (but I still could change my mind on the wheels). What if the track that travels down the side of the van was spaced out 1/4" - 1/2" more at the rear than the front. I haven't looked at how feasible this would be, but seems like a good idea (just stuff rambling around inside this head of mine).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues