Chevy Roadtrek 190 Weldtec Lift and Lockers Questions

bravelion

193755627_10157590154216511_5439548928334442095_n.jpgI'm considering a Weldtec lift + lockers on my 2012 Roadtrek Popular 190. I'll ask my questions straight out for those who don't need the details, and I would just like some thought or opinions from those smarter than me, which is probably everyone:

1) 5" lift vs 3" lift? I'm leaning toward the full 5".
2) Will rear Lockers be sufficient for mild Forest Rd and BLM land or might I regret not splurging for full 4x4?
3) Yukon Grizzly lockers sufficient for a heavy campervan or might I regret not opting for the air lockers?

I'm looking at the following:
- WTD - 2003-CURRENT CHEVROLET EXPRESS/GMC 3'' LIFT SPINDLE
- Chevrolet Express Aluminum Leveling Spacers
- Fox Shock-Chevrolet Express 2WD Front
- Fox Shock-CHEVROLET EXPRESS VAN REAR
- WTD GM 2500/3500 LEAF SPRINGS 5500 REAR AXLE
- WTD - Chevrolet Express/GMC Savana 5'' Lift Kit
- Yukon Grizzly Locker for GM 10.5" 14 bolt truck with 30 spline axles

Optional considerations:
- Method Race Wheels 310 | Con 6 | Bronze 17x8.5 | 8x6.5 | 0/4.75"
- BFG-265-70-17 All Terrain load range E
- 8 LUG 7 POINT 14X1.5 BLACK LUG NUTS
- ARB twin Air compressor + air lockers.

I know it will never be an "offroad" van per se, and the majority of driving will be paved roads, but with a bit more clearance and some better rear wheel traction, I feel I could at least have more options to venture onto some of the milder dispersed camping and BLM areas while out traveling. Especially in western states.

The couple of times I tested the waters on my recent 35 day travels, I bottomed out badly and also felt less than confident getting too far off pavement. It's just so incredibly low to the ground. But the Roadtrek is an incredible offgrid boondocking vehicle so it's a shame to be limited to pavement and developed campsites.

Thanks for any thought and opinions to help me decide.

whith

I think you’re headed in the right direction if you just plan on doing some forest roads and BLM roads. I basically never use 4wd for that sort of travel. Assuming you do not have a G80 in the rear diff? its a sort of auto locker type unit that likely will suffice for what you describe leaving the need for just a lift. Check your RPO sticker in the door jam if you don’t know.

if you go with a 5 inch lift I would suggest going with a 285 x 70 x 17 tire or something in that height to give you real additional clearance at the diff.

bravelion

I think you’re headed in the right direction if you just plan on doing some forest roads and BLM roads. I basically never use 4wd for that sort of travel. Assuming you do not have a G80 in the rear diff? its a sort of auto locker type unit that likely will suffice for what you describe leaving the need for just a lift. Check your RPO sticker in the door jam if you don’t know.

if you go with a 5 inch lift I would suggest going with a 285 x 70 x 17 tire or something in that height to give you real additional clearance at the diff.

RPO says it’s a GU6, 3.42. No G80 listed.
thanks for sharing your thoughts.

GlennA

Adventurer
Once you lift it and add taller tires, regearing will be a necessity. Might as well install the locker of your choice at that time.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
It all looks pretty good for your stated use, except as others have noted, you'll want to re-gear for the tires.

ALSO - I'd have a long, hard think about that Yukon locker. I'm sure it's a quality unit, and under the right circumstances it will probably work exactly as advertised, but I have to say that I have a sour taste in my mouth after a few months with a similar "lunchbox" style auto-locker in my van. (Powertrax Lock-Right). The problem I was having was inconsistent (and sometimes spurious) lock-up under load. Pulling up a hill, or a freeway on-ramp, the locker would sometimes engage while I was going in a relatively straight line - the resulting "clunk" would induce a pull to one side. The effect was more pronounced when the rear of the van was heavily loaded (as Roadtrek's often are). I learned the phrase "Locker Lane-Change" after discussing with my local axle-shop.

I didn't like the on-road behavior, so I eventually had it pulled back out and the original spider gears put back in.

Like I said, the Yukon is probably great, and you'll find 1000 reviews swearing it's the bees knees, but make sure you understand all the potential effects - especially since you have selectable locker options with your factory rear-end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater