Chinook Campers....

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
locrwln said:
Wow 28mpg.:rolleyes: And it doesn't bog down on the hills. That is one amazing little camper.
Boy, you guys sure are a cynical bunch. I'm sure both of those claims are actually true, . . . as long as you're going DOWNhill.

But regardless of that, I have to agree that $900 for one in excellent condition would be a great deal.

JP

rusty_tlc

Explorer
locrwln said:
That's funny, I have seen that one, I didn't get a chance to really look at it, but by looking at the gold rims, I believe it is an '84, so no FI, just a 22r. I was going to swing back by and give it a closer look yesterday, I just ran out of time.

Jack
I think they still use it. We drive by there on the way to the kennel and about half the time it's gone.

Back OT
I would consider transplanting the whole camper part on a newer chassis. Give the fiberglass a fresh gel coat and it would look great. Heck you could probably graft it on the back of an 80 if you wanted to.

ZR2nit

Adventurer
If you could buy one of those 4x4 ones and throw some d44's under the truck,,A.R.B. air lockers,and some 35in tires :) you could have one heck of a offroad camper.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
ZR2nit said:
If you could buy one of those 4x4 ones and throw some d44's under the truck,,A.R.B. air lockers,and some 35in tires :) you could have one heck of a offroad camper.
I thought the stock mini axels are stronger than a D44??

And you forgot dual t-cases. :)

Not that I've given it much thought. :rolleyes:

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
Was looking for another link on these but stumbled across this one
1979 TOYOTA CHINOOK Camper, 4x4, $900. 208-315-1694​
June 12th 2008 ad from this site http://www.sooperads.com/classads9.html No photo and $900 is not a positive indicator of condition. 208 is Idaho

Now, if you want to skip the 2wd to 4wd conversion of a Toyota, the "GM 4x4 versions" I mentioned earlier are Chevy Blazer Chalets and GMC Jimmy Casa Grandes, built as a joint venture with Chinook Mobilodge, so they really are Chinooks, just not badged that way like the Toyota or Datsun Chinooks. Maybe these days, spare GM parts and aftermarket parts are starting to outnumber parts for those old Toyotas & Datsuns.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
77blazerchalet said:
Was looking for another link on these but stumbled across this one
1979 TOYOTA CHINOOK Camper, 4x4, $900. 208-315-1694​
June 12th 2008 ad from this site http://www.sooperads.com/classads9.html No photo and $900 is not a positive indicator of condition. 208 is Idaho

Now, if you want to skip the 2wd to 4wd conversion of a Toyota, the "GM 4x4 versions" I mentioned earlier are Chevy Blazer Chalets and GMC Jimmy Casa Grandes, built as a joint venture with Chinook Mobilodge, so they really are Chinooks, just not badged that way like the Toyota or Datsun Chinooks. Maybe these days, spare GM parts and aftermarket parts are starting to outnumber parts for those old Toyotas & Datsuns.
With current gas prices I'd be willing to hunt for parts to gain economy and range. But given the popularity of Toyota trucks parts, OEM and aftermarket, are not really an issue.

The way these are designed I think you could just pull the bed off a 4WD and transplant the camper part from a 2wd. There may be a little Sawzall work involved as well. Older 4WD toyota trucks are still fairly cheap and abundent.

cedarzar

chinook campers

They sell for whatever you can find them for. One thing to watch out for is the chinook was framed with plywood in the corners. If you can find one that is not dry-rotted good luck. I have 2 chinooks and I reframed the corners in both of them. They are a great alseason camper. I stay in mine in idaho and montana. I have seen them sell for 150-4000 depending on what condition they are in.

see.jameson

Where can I get me one of these...

I'm looking into buying EXACTLY what is pictured below (the light blue toyota(?) truck w/camper attached, rust colored strips on back)

Can someone point me in the right direction or is selling/knows someone who selling one?

see.jameson

yota3.jpg

this is the one...

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
One of the better 'all-of-Craigslist' search sites I've found is this Site Mash one (I set it up for '71 thru '81, you can change the dates). For who knows what reason, it can pick up ads that the Google 'all-of-Craigslist' search misses.

JoshInReno

Observer
A co-worker of mine owns one of these. His is an... 1981 I belive, 2Wd with the 22R.

His was slow also - until the Webber carb, intake, exhuast, ignition and 5 speed were installed. Now it can actually get out of its own way. Too bad it sounds completely 'riced' out. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach