Choosing an expedition vehicle with a family in mind

Derek24

Explorer
Sounds like you need a first gen double cab tundra (2004-2006). Great room inside. Just a little bigger than the current Tacoma's, but with a bullet proof engine (4.7L) and 26 gallon fuel tank. After market support is getting better with the increasing popularity. I had a 2000 tundra which IMO is the perfect expo platform, perfect size with a V8. Now I have a 2003 Sequoia and feel like I'm in my tundra again. It has loads of room but does not feel like driving an oil tanker. It's pretty nimble for its size,has 26 gallon fuel tank. I had a 2011 FJ cruiser last year and sold it mainly because of the same gas tank. Could only go around 300 miles before finding another gas station, compared to my sequoia I can almost go 500. Easier and nicer to drive than the fj too.

Haberdasher

One point that may be relevant or not is the 4Runner gives you a proper 7 seat option. (Presume Sequoia does too.) sounds over the top for those that don't have kids but when you see how huge child car seats are these days you need that row to carry anyone that isn't part of your core four. Friends, grandparents, babysitters...

iamkmann

I own a 2013 Tundra Crew Cab Rock Warrior (his name is Samson) and I couldn't be happier. I have a tall family so having the crew cab makes a big difference, especially since the rear seats recline. My payload capacity is 1500 lbs. and I can tow almost 10000 lbs. I can fill up the bed with gear and tow an adventure trailer without breaking a sweat. If you load up a Tacoma or 4Runner in a similar fashion, it's gonna struggle a bit, especially with a big family.

I agree about the small gas tank but nothing a few Rotopax tanks can't solve and they make a mounting plate for the Tundra bed rail system too. The after market support is actually really good as well. Go to tundratalk.net to see some examples. The question you need to ask is what will the primary purpose for the vehicle be? If you think you'll be exploring in the backcountry on narrow roads the majority of time, then go with a smaller wheel base. If you want to get to wherever it is you plan on exploring in comfort and style then you should definitely check out the Tundra. You'd be surprised at what that truck is capable of.

My 2 cents.

AxleIke

Adventurer
Agreed with all points raised so far.

Strain on the V6? Do you mean it will feel gutless? Or are you concerned about wear and tear?

I don't know about what your expectations of power are, so that could definitely be a concern. I know many guys who come from the V8 world and feel like the toyota V6's are really slow. Wear and tear with 4 people and gear is a non issue IMO. Maybe if you were also constantly towing a 10k lb trailer around, but I think the engine will handle more than those chassis will be able to safely control load wise.

However, I can't speak to modern Toyota engines. I do know that when I was young, my parents took myself and two brothers (5 people) plus a dog, on 5 day backcountry 4wd trips in Utah, the Colorado Mountains, New Mexico, AZ, etc... for years, running a 4 cyl First Gen 4Runner at 4k RPMs going up the passes for hours on end. Truck lasted for 310k miles before it was sold.

Assuming modern engines have gotten better (someone else may know better), I would venture to say that what you plan to load the truck with will be a non-issue.

p nut

butter
Not much to add, but if you're worried about mileage, strap a couple of 5 gal cans to the roof or rear bumper. One of those cargo hitch racks are cheap.

dcoy

Adventurer
prematurely writing off the FJC?

I've got one of the FJs with the "code throwing" aux fuel tanks. It's an LRA. I've had it for about 9 months and its thrown some evap codes twice. They don't persist and they're really just EPA emission relevant codes and have no relevance to vehicle functioning, so I'm not too excited by them. Overall, the tank has transformed the vehicle from something where you're almost continually thinking about the next fill up on trips to something that you can drive all over the place and fill up occasionally as an afterthought. If the vehicles size is a concern for "overlanding", that's another concern, but we've found it to be a great vehicle for all kinds of trips, on and off road.

Last edited:

Arktikos

Explorer
I think you should drive the wheels of the 4Runner currently owned. The rust issues you've described really sound minor. I bet it could last a couple more decades before succumbing to anything serious. Buy a regular ground tent, throw it in the back and save all that money for the travels.

Subspd

Adventurer
Go with a 14' trail 4runner. Or find a rust free 4th gen 4runner. You can't beat the V6 for durability and the good MPG/power tradeoff its got plenty of go for your needs and will get you farther than any of the v8s. That said best rig I ever owned was a 100 LC but it never got better than 14mpg, and required constant fill-up stops. Tacoma will be updated in 2016 could wait for that too? Tacomas are amazing I have had one and my brother currently has a built 14' tons of aftermarket but they are cramped inside for a family of 4 and don't have the refinement the 4runner does.

Can you tell I drive a 4runner now? ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman