chrysler voyager doing dumb stuff.

bftank

Explorer
couple of pics with the new cooper stt's. 30 x 9.5 x 15 on stock minivan wheels. will get some offroad pics when i get on days off next week.

ebc brakes work awesome compared to the old ones by the way. still need to get the drums changed out. i lost the new drums and pads i purchased when they cleaned up after our house caught fire last month.

Attachments

• minivan stts view right side.JPG
    minivan stts view right side.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 209
  • minivan stt lf tire.JPG
    minivan stt lf tire.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 160
  • minivan stt lr tire.JPG
    minivan stt lr tire.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 132

bftank

Explorer
found the last pictures of the van. we ended up selling it and replacing it with a 1994 ford explorer with 98000 miles on it. it was a good vehicle but the the roads i was taking it on for the oil field were starting to make it rattle a bit more and i wanted something with 4wd for the wife.

the hood and the front bumper cover are off so that i could reposition the fender so the passenger door would open again.

Attachments

• IMG_2600.JPG
    IMG_2600.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2601.JPG
    IMG_2601.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_2602.JPG
    IMG_2602.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 116

proturf

Looks like a great trip. I'm sure you have had many more in the 2 yrs since. As an agronomist, I just wanted to comment on the flower photos.....the purple flower is a thistle. The white/pink one might be an Angelica...but certainly in the carrot/parsley family (Apiaceae).

I was searching for lift options on chrysler minivans and found this post. I am trying to get an extra 4 inches of lift to avoid high centering on rocks/ruts and snow-ruts in my AWD Town&Country. It looks like a 2 inch lift along with the 30x9.5 tires might do the trick!

bftank

Explorer
thanks for the info on the flora. around here we call them bull thistles. i need to get some books about that stuff. see what is edible and what not. post pics of your build as you get it done.

lumberjake

well, after way too much searching, it looks like I have finally found someone who has done atleast some of the stuff I am interested in doing... Thank you.
So, I wanted the interior space and versatility of a van, moderate offroading capabilities and the most fuel efficiency possible. Naturally, I first thought of the lifted Astro/Safari, but I have an S10 with the same 4.3L engine and do enough swearing at the pumps.

This is what I really wanted. (Mitsubishi Delica)
mitsubishi-delica.jpg

This is what I was willing to pay for. (96 dodge caravan)
IMG_0197.jpg

I wish I at least had the patience to find an awd version, but here I am.
prior to finding this forum i had decided on changing my stock 205/75r14s to 235/75r15s. I guestimated that the 1.4 more inches to the radius would be the maximum i could fit before hitting the strut, so it's good to know i can go a little bigger. i stuck with the 235/75r15s anyway as they are the same size as my truck and if this didn't work, i could just use them on my truck and there would have been no risk. I found 4 used tires on rims for $60. ofcourse the bolt pattern is wrong but i can sell these rims for the rough amount of the purchase of the correct rims (15"x 6" with a 5x100mm bolt pattern, same as dodge neon). the rest of my plan involves the 2" lift blocks on the rear with shock extensions and using extra strut mounts to make a spacer for 1.5-2" of lift in the front, a lot like this guy's mod--- http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?3-Lifted-All-Trac-Previa .
all said and done this should give me 3.4" of lift on the back and 2.9-3.4" on the front, bringing the mid-body ground clearance up from about 7" to over 10". this should mean easily doing simple trails fully loaded or moderate trails unloaded.:friday:

RangeBrover

Explorer
You can have a lot of fun with a minivan. I was given a rental Caravan last year and initially hated it, we'll until we decided to thrash it and see what it could do. With the Penestar it was a quick mover with gobs of torque steer, we even took it offroad at the cove in Gore, Va to get to the shooting range. Thought the enterprise people would ******* bricks but I paid for the insurance.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Honda Odyssey with 31" BFG MTs

A buddy was over this weekend with his 2001 Honda Odyssey minivan and we ended up trying out a set of 31" Bfg MTs on it - and they fit! Well the backspacing on the front was not good (rim touched the caliper) but it cleared the rear fender pretty well (unloaded) and would work on the front with the fender liner / mud flap removed and slight trimming on the front.

It at least was worth a good photo!

honda ody 31 bfg mt.jpg

ihatemybike

Explorer
I don't know, Astro's are easier to lift without effecting ride and have the ability to have a two speed transfer case swapped in.

It is fun to see what people come up with for different vehicles though.

bftank

Explorer
keep us posted lumberjake!

haf e, love the honda, my sister in law has one of those. mind if i send her a pic? i think she would get a kick out of it.

love the updates guys!

lumberjake

still waiting on parts. the only things i have so far are the strut mounts. lots of it i'm still waiting on and some i have yet to find at a price i'm willing to pay (if you haven't noticed, i'm a cheap s.o.b.). i also live in small town canada, so parts are hard to find, shipping costs are stupid, shipping is really slow and it's a little cold. at any rate, i hope to start this weekend.
love the offset on the wheels on that odyssey. i'll have to figure out a cheap way to do that too

BCHauler

Adventurer
Oh my goodness. Now I want an off road Odyssey!

I'm thinking safari rack, spare mounted to the rear hatch with some upgraded hatch struts, sliders, and...wait for it...snorkel.
:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat