classic RANGE ROVER DIESEL CONVERSION UNDER $ 1500 DOLLAR project .

REDROVER

Explorer
i was busy this last month , but i am gonna start on it by finding the rover first and try to finish it in 7 days

REDROVER

Explorer
Did you use Mercedes transmission as well? I am thinking of doing the same way as my range rovers set up from 2wd transmission connected to lt230using very short shaft

JeremyT101

Adventurer
Really interested in watching this thread. Definitely something I will be looking into if/when my 4.0L decides to finally give up the ghost. But at only 110k miles, I'm hoping there is still more life there!

ini88

Adventurer
Did you use Mercedes transmission as well? I am thinking of doing the same way as my range rovers set up from 2wd transmission connected to lt230using very short shaft

Nope, Jarek used the original ZF Rover transmission. the bellhousing needed a little notch in it for the starter but thats about it.

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
Really interested in watching this thread. Definitely something I will be looking into if/when my 4.0L decides to finally give up the ghost. But at only 110k miles, I'm hoping there is still more life there!

You should have a ways to go, which hopefully will give you time to save your pennies.

franko

Observer
Okay okay folks if you want to see a D1 with a merc diesel running and driving.
Stay tuned as mine is pretty much done, been road testing it for weeks just need to tie up some lose ends.
And I used the ZF LR auto trans works well. But might switch to a 5speed later on down the road.

For under 1500$$$ I would be very very surprised . I have triple that in mine,now of course if I did it again it would be way cheaper.
As I have learned a lot from this swap. But give it your best shot,I'll be following this.

dubl_t

LOL, that's my problem too. With 180# to 185# pressure in each cylinder, it's hard to justify.....for now ;)

Jarek M

Adventurer
Yeah, it's simple and cheap. But in my opinion it's a very overlander dedicated conversion, "you" not going to be happy if you building a mud buggy or a mall crawler. Said that, I would recomend a 5spd for this, MB TD is reliable and simple keeping auto is unnecessary liability. Going with a divorced TC is very interesting concept, just stay on top of rear shaft angles since that is your primary.

i am going to use the Mercedes transmission as well. and make a short drive shaft that will make it work with lt230 4 wheel drive, i may even try to use the same drive shafts and not change those .

The transmission that goes into the old 300 series Mercedes is positioned in such a way that you might end up with a shifter coming out of your dash...don't know for sure, just what I have been told. There was a guy selling or building a kit for mating the mercedes engine to other transmissions (sm465 or nv4500, been a while) and he seemed to think the mercedes one would not work.

That said, the Mercedes transmission is the weak link in the mercedes diesel engine...the engine would run for +500,000 miles, but the tranny would have to be swapped out many times.

Good luck though! The engines are bullet proof!

Oilburner

Adventurer
Jarek, how powerful is your truck with this engine? Is it pretty badly underpowered or does it move out OK?

Jarek M

Adventurer
It "feels" underpowered but you got to remember that this is diesel, the acceleration is... "governed" if I can call it that. It's there without the roar of a v8 and slip of the Tconverter, so it feels different. The numbers are same in the end. My final setup is ZF, 1:6TC, 4:7Diff, 36" Tires, it works for me but like I sad it's not for everybody.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk