Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

Clutch

<---Pass
That's pricey. I could not climb up and down stairs to go to bed. I got tired of that at year 2 of bunk bedding when I was 10. Ground tent and a 3-4" mem foam topper. Springbar, so I can stand up in it.

If I had to get one to attach to the vehicle, I like the ARB awning room.

F148015878.jpg

Going up and down a ladder does not appeal to me, and I am pretty healthy. Even climbing in and out of the back of the truck with the Nest gets old, wish it had a center door like on a FWC., so you don't have to climb over the tailgate...it isn't hard but awkward. I found leaving the tailgate up and stepping over it works the best. With it down, either sit, spin and stand, or crawl then stand....or try and step up in, usually scrape my back on the window frame.

I did the ground tent thing for years, I really hate putting them up and tearing them down. After a rainy 2 week vacay in Colorado one year, came home and started looking at options...that is when I discovered the Wildernest. Mine is no longer water proof, but a tarp over it works fairly well....did a 4 day weekend this past spring with torrential down pours and stayed fairly dry. One of the wedge style campers would be nice, but I like the space (as Dave shown) of the Nest...it is really really hard to beat. And will put up with its' minor flaws for that space.

Which going back to my original post of what I would do with $20K+....the new Rangers look awfully sweet, even if I could get one for $25K, would have to get a new camper for it, as the Nest won't work on it, would have to buy a wedge to replicate what I have now, with the options I would like would put it at $9400ish, plus shipping. At the end of the day, my old paid for crap works perfectly fine.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
For that type of a set up, I really like what they're doing at Go Fast Camper. Lightweight and half the price of Vagabond.

hatch_gfc-1313-1024x683.jpg

But I can set up my springbar pretty fast. No complaints.

Clutch

<---Pass
For that type of a set up, I really like what they're doing at Go Fast Camper. Lightweight and half the price of Vagabond.

hatch_gfc-1313-1024x683.jpg

But I can set up my springbar pretty fast. No complaints.

Have a 2 person that I use for moto camping, that can setup super quick, don't care for sleeping on the ground because of my bad back. Herniated my L5 in 2014...which is nearly 95% better now....but still don't like sleeping on the ground.

I do like the GFC, but being that I like to do most of my camping in the shoulder months (read: unpredictable weather, plus mainly to stay away from the summer touristas), and head over to the PNW (have trip planned this September for the Oregon coast) need the option to cook inside when it is raining out side. It is super tight in the GFC. I don't like cooking inside per se, but sure beats doing it outside in the rain...don't want to fuss with an awning either. Have an EZ-UP...but I don't even bring that anymore.

Out of all of them, the OVRLND would fit the needs and wants the best.

Being able to use the bed, and have a cook station at the same time is ideal.

img_20180524_193226035_hdr-jpg.450821

As I do now, dirt bag as it may be...

Attachments

• 3A43E901-03C6-45C4-9E78-48468890FCCE.jpeg
    3A43E901-03C6-45C4-9E78-48468890FCCE.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
For vehicle-based camping the OVRLND is about the bee's knees. At least for dirtbags, relatively speaking. It seems like the closest thing to the 'Nest out there now in the segment. The FlipPac route being DOA and everything (e.g. Habitat) else pushing it for price IMO. I don't need the outfit that comes with a FWC and all of it, just a shell and bed.

I'm not opposed to relative comfort or convenience, it's about the right tool for the job.

IMG_1392_mid.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
For vehicle-based camping the OVRLND is about the bee's knees. At least for dirtbags, relatively speaking. It seems like the closest thing to the 'Nest out there now in the segment. The FlipPac route being DOA and everything (e.g. Habitat) else pushing it for price IMO. I don't need the outfit that comes with a FWC and all of it, just a shell and bed.

I'm not opposed to relative comfort or convenience, it's about the right tool for the job.

View attachment 467166

It is, "if" I ever get a new truck, that would be the way to go. Would like to see if it evolves over time.

Yeah, I have done the tarp strapped between two dirt bikes before on moto camping trips. I'll do it, but...it kills my back. Bad enough I abuse the hell out of it riding all day. ;)

Speaking of moto camp trips and $20K...I can't help but looking at ADV kits for the Husky 701.

I mean...like drool!

http://omegafibre.net/husquvarna-701/

Though a 450/500 looks even better to me.

http://www.nomad-adv.com/ktm-exc-nomad-2017-2018.html

dsc-0413_6_orig.jpg

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

What you need to do is rework a Jumping Jack by cutting off the axle and fitting it as a tray. Other than dealing with building some steps to the tailgate it seems like it would work.

It would be perfect, being probably too wide for a Tacoma you could then just finally get the F150 that is your destiny. Get XL trim in cab-and-chassis, so no box to remove and dispose of. It might even be feasible to get an F250 poverty spec in your budget so you get a solid axle, too.

Heck, I might just go that way.

10beb6a74ea49ee7877366b1b3b1d96e.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
What you need to do is rework a Jumping Jack by cutting off the axle and fitting it as a tray. Other than dealing with building some steps to the tailgate it seems like it would work.

It would be perfect, being probably too wide for a Tacoma you could then just finally get the F150 that is your destiny. Get XL trim in cab-and-chassis, so no box to remove and dispose of. It might even be feasible to get an F250 poverty spec in your budget so you get a solid axle, too.

Heck, I might just go that way.

View attachment 467169

I rode with a guy one weekend that had one of those, it was pretty neat...took awhile to setup. One thing I want to get away from. Fussing with setup. If anything...would build out a 7X12 enclosed trailer, could fit 3-4 bikes, kitchen already setup...just open the doors and step in. Friend in Flag built one that had a bed that lowered over the bikes...it was killer and dirt cheap! He got that and an early 2000's 6.0 Chevy Silvy all for $12K.

My buddy with the 4Runner & popup camper over the 4th, it was awfully nice not having a camper conected to the vehicle for running around. So there is that option too. I noticed that the commercial side of Enterprise has brand new mid-roof Ford Transit Cargo vans, stopped by there the other day to see rates. $100/wk .36¢/mile. I may even rent one of those for my Oregon trip. Instead of buying a new truck/camper $35K buys an awful lot of rental vans for trips.

DaveInDenver

Problem is there is no one perfect set-up. Times I wished my 'Nest was a trailer are balanced by times when dragging a trailer through a trail would suck. I could see a FWC being a real PITA sometimes, others (like when it's snowing) I imagine I would love the thing. Point is, just need a motor pool of various vehicles for tasks, of course with a personal mechanic. Done and done.

DaveInDenver

By the way, what's the difference between sleeping in a ground tent vs RTT? You're still just laying down.
There's truth to this and the only thing I can come up with is finding a place to set up a tent can be a pain. With a truck-mounted tent a few rocks to level it and you're done, no worries about uneven ground or water running in. But otherwise, yeah, I just don't see why they seem to scratch so many itches for people.

Clutch

<---Pass
Problem is there is no one perfect set-up. Times I wished my 'Nest was a trailer are balanced by times when dragging a trailer through a trail would suck. I could see a FWC being a real PITA sometimes, others (like when it's snowing) I imagine I would love the thing. Point is, just need a motor pool of various vehicles for tasks, of course with a personal mechanic. Done and done.

Yep....need to win the lotto... ;)

I think you can get a Ram PW Tradesman for a similar price. Well, maybe not the PW, but a Tradesman at least.

By the way, what's the difference between sleeping in a ground tent vs RTT? You're still just laying down. Get one of these and you won't miss your own bed.

https://www.amazon.com/LUCID-Folding-Mattress-Removable-Outdoor/dp/B01MDQHQRU

When moto camping, need to carry a lightweight sleeping pad....which is either thin foam which sucks, or inflatable...and it never fails I always get a hole in them. The last one I had wasn't cheap...first time I used it...got a hole in it from the vibrations coming off the bike.

With the Nest, put a 4" foam pad in mine, plus the roof gives a little...and the suspension on the truck...lets the whole thing sways a bit...very comfortable, think I sleep better in there than my own bed at home.

Same with the RTT...super thick foam pad.

I hate sleeping on the ground so much I used to toss a futon mattress either in the bed of my truck or in my old tent which it barely fit. about the only way I can sleep on the ground, and get some actual sleep..., unfortunately like that link you posted they are bulky. Even though my disc finally slipped in 2014, by back has been screwed up since I was 14, helping my dad move around rail road ties. Why I don't like sleeping on the ground.

Have it pulled out of the bed laying on hood of my old '92....one of our Sedona mountain bike trips we used to do. Somewhere up on Schnebly Hill Road. This was taken on film...so it was awhile ago! :D... have been "overloading" before it was cool... ;)

15590097_10154894208014630_8504405929965624505_n.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
There's truth to this and the only thing I can come up with is finding a place to set up a tent can be a pain. With a truck-mounted tent a few rocks to level it and you're done, no worries about uneven ground or water running in. But otherwise, yeah, I just don't see why they seem to scratch so many itches for people.
By the way, what's the difference between sleeping in a ground tent vs RTT? You're still just laying down. Get one of these and you won't miss your own bed.

https://www.amazon.com/LUCID-Folding-Mattress-Removable-Outdoor/dp/B01MDQHQRU

What I hated about my old setup, whether sleeping in the bed of the truck or tent camping...is all the rearranging setup you have to do. Sleeping platform solves some of the issues...but then it is like being in a coffin can't situp comfortably, and have to crawl in and out of it.

With the 'Nest flip it open, erect the support structure...basically done. Even with the bed loaded I can climb into bed without having to unload. Being able to stand up inside, change clothes and cook...with little setup is very nice.

phsycle

Adventurer
What I hated about my old setup, whether sleeping in the bed of the truck or tent camping...is all the rearranging setup you have to do. Sleeping platform solves some of the issues...but then it is like being in a coffin can't situp comfortably, and have to crawl in and out of it.

With the 'Nest flip it open, erect the support structure...basically done. Even with the bed loaded I can climb into bed without having to unload. Being able to stand up inside, change clothes and cook...with little setup is very nice.

I don't think I could do a sleeping platform in a bed, either. With most set ups, you can't even sit up!

Tent camping has drawbacks, of course. Dave mentioned level ground, which could be an issue. High waters, another. But I do like being able to carry the tent amongst the trees and camp in a more secluded spot. Spots where a vehicle or trailer couldn't fit. And I camp in places where water really hasn't ever been a problem. Maybe if I ever head up to PNW. And rearranging? I think a tent would be the least intrusive when having to rearrange your cargo. Just take the tent out and leave everything where they are!

My wife wants an RTT. Because of bears. I say, you know, bears can climb trees pretty fast. Not sure a ladder would stop it.

Real solution:
...Point is, just need a motor pool of various vehicles for tasks, of course with a personal mechanic. Done and done.

We just need to all get together and compare set ups. Dave, you buy that Jumping Jack, and we'll meet somewhere in ID, UT or CO and test out all 3 the same outing. Take turns sleeping in each other's set ups (separately!!!) and vote the best at the end of the trip to settle this once and for all.
:p

Clutch

<---Pass
That thing ain't going far, but I bet it revs nicely in top gear... :p

Love my Beta 300, but kinda yearn for something a little better for cruising back dirt roads and the occasional slab. Some of my friends in AZ recently did the Continental Divide trail over the summer...looks like a hoot.

I do have a 4 gallon tank for the Beta and a Giant Loop bag so a similar dirt bag setup to that 450 KTM I showed, just without all that fairing non-sense that is begging to smashed off. So I can do some extended range trips with what I have now, but even though it is oil injected...still have to carry oil...which just takes up space and weight. And screwed if you run out, could have all the gas and micky d's in the world...but no premix oil...you're effed, pretty much can find gas anywhere...the right kind of oil is iffy.

19225245_10155489582524630_8596013404137565345_n.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven