Cold weather RTT??

OddTraveler

Hi !

About time I start posting, and not just reading here on the portal.

Basically :

I am looking for a RTT to use in honestly crappy weather.

As I live in the western part of Norway, we see a lot of rainy and windy days during the entire year.

Then again, this is in no way a escuse for staying in, you dont get to explore from your living room.

So far, I`ve been using a 3 person ground tent, from "Basecamp", that have been good to me for several years. I`ve also used a "Lavo" or Tipi styled tent, that are very good, but honestly you get tired from picthing the tent after a while. This is the main reason for my search for a good RTT.

There is probably as many opinions out there as there is tents, but still, it would be nice to hear some feedback.

I plan to mount the tent on my european Ford Ranger, but I use this as a "work truck" and daily driver when I`m not working offshore, so any tent thats easier to get of than others will be concidered also.

I`ve seen that there is tents priced from all ends of the scale, but I guess you get what you pay for with these tents ?

Any feedback is good feedback.

Best Regards
Odd.

OddTraveler

This sounds like what I`ve been thinking so far.
After a cold "nite"/couple of hours trying to sleep in a 1977 tent-trailer at 1100m altitude with -3*C and gale force winds, I am now the proud owner of a Helsport sleeping bag, that are both wide and long enough to actually accomodate me. So then I just need the RTT I guess ;)

taco_tay

Adventurer
You may want to look into a mr. Buddy heater. They make an indoor safe model that are perfect for tents. It has an oxygen depletion sensor that will shut it off. This is my plan for winter camping in a rtt.

OddTraveler

You may want to look into a mr. Buddy heater. They make an indoor safe model that are perfect for tents. It has an oxygen depletion sensor that will shut it off. This is my plan for winter camping in a rtt.

Sounds like something I need to look into :) Thanks for the tip.

I normally dont require much as far as comfort goes, but a good nigths sleep is still a good nigths sleep ;)

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
Get a RTT with an annex and covered entry. I set a buddy heater on a crate down below in annex of my Tepui Autana and was plenty warm until the propane bottle went empty. Another option is to get the Tepui extreme weather hood, but I'd be worried about condensation build up. Like most things in life, the solution to one problem often introduces another.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Hey Odd,

When you are going out in the cold think mountaineering type tent. You want a smaller tent, less volume to heat up, one that is a four season tent, namely insulated or double walled. If it is wet, then a hard top roof tent is best, things sometimes just don't dry out.

Heating is a controversial subject. Personally, I wouldn't introduce extra moisture into the tent, a byproduct of burning propane. There are some electric heated mattress covers, or a 12 volt heated blanket. The idea is to turn them on when the tent is closed and your engine is running. It warms up the tent and dries it out some, again moisture is bad. One fellow I know has his mattress heater on so that when he stops the tent and bedding is already warm.

High elevation seems to make it a little more difficult as winds just seem to blow through the fabric. You still want a nice breathable fabric for the walls just you need to add a windbreaker layer to the tent, like an outer skin, not so much for the insulation but this layer doesn't have to breathe.

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
I've done a fair bit of research on RTT's. That's why I'm here, hoping to get one soon. I've always been a fan of Autohome-Maggiolina. Being in Canada, and knowing a few
people who have winter camped in temps down to -30C in northern Alberta, this tent is on the top of my list.
I'm posting a link, look down the page at the pics of the snow covered adventures! These tents can have an optional insulation wrap to assist in insulation. They have a
anti-moisture screen under the mattress available as well. I would personally never add heat to a tent, it just introduces moisture. Buy a better sleeping bag!
here is the link: http://www.autohome-official.com/en/products/accessories/range-accessories/maggiolina-roof-tent

these tents are expensive, but many reviews and comments I've read, they seem to be worth it.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
We do most of our camping in the fall, winter and spring. Lot's of rain, damp nights and cold air... I see roof top tents as single wall tents. Great for warm dry climates. No matter how many windows we open at night (flipping cold...) we always get tons of condensation inside. So bad, it even drips down on us and is soaking our sleeping gear.
I love being high of the ground, but I don't think RTT are made for cold damp climates.

Dusty Grin

Observer
We do most of our camping in the fall, winter and spring. Lot's of rain, damp nights and cold air... I see roof top tents as single wall tents. Great for warm dry climates. No matter how many windows we open at night (flipping cold...) we always get tons of condensation inside. So bad, it even drips down on us and is soaking our sleeping gear.
I love being high of the ground, but I don't think RTT are made for cold damp climates.

I haven't had any condensation issues in my Maggiolina. Maybe it's the fabric? I camp in the off/cold season as well. My biggest complaint is the lack of space when it gets dark at 4:30. It starts to feel like a coffin 5 hours later. I'm thinking of supplementing with an oztent for additional "hanging out" space.
I stay warm even in close to zero temps with a good bag and alpaca blanket on top.

veetee

I just bought a Columbus roof top tent to go on my M416 trailer. I plan to install a Webasto air heater in the trailer and connect the warm air outlet duct to the tent, something like this install. Because of the heat exchanger dry warm air is entered in the tent without risk of condensation or oxigen depletion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven