Coleman Colorado Frankenstein Trailer Project

DblD

Adventurer
Not a lot of progress this weekend. I did get the surge brake removed and worked on the lunette mount. I copied Mark Harleys design and had a piece of pre-made C channel welded onto the existing surge brake mount.

1375064539_p7220779.jpg

1375064650_p7280782.jpg

I'll need to cut the safety chain mounts and figure out a different way to attach new chains.

1375064703_coleman_colorado_hitch_02.jpg

I got the right and left sides welded up and temporarily clamped them in place to take some measurements for the front a rear panels.

1375064829_p7280785.jpg

1375064969_p7280786.jpg

I've had the old axle listed on my local Craigslist for a week now and no interest whatsoever.
I may need to see about buying a premium membership on Steel Soldiers and see if I can generate any interest there.

http://springfield.craigslist.org/rvs/3955526928.html

Any questions or comments are welcome.

dd

Last edited:

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Yeah. Good gawd don't cut the chain mounts to turn them into giant spaces/shims! You can use any old hunk of steel for that. I'm sure you can find a usabe configuration to move them to a usable location.

DblD

Adventurer
Love it - that is going to be a great set up. I did something similar with mine, but made it removable. I can't tell you how often I use it as just a flat bed trailer without the tent trailer on. Here is my build:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/80288-Colorado-Combo-Killing-Two-Birds-With-One-Stone

Very slick trailer. I'm not sure how I missed your build thread while searching endlessly for Coleman Colorado info. When the time comes I'll have some questions for you on replacing the canvas.

dd

DblD

Adventurer
Don't cut the mounts......On my 116A2 I used two short 3/4" bolts and nuts instead of the long through bolt.

Good gawd don't cut the chain mounts to turn them into giant spaces/shims!

Ok, got it. Thanks for the input. Wish now that I hadn't cut the chains off the mounts. :mad:

dd

jet noise

Observer
DD, I'll second Anza's endorsement of Bear Creek Canvas replacements. I got a road tarp for mine and the quality is as good or better than factory. Mine is stored outside and two Midwest summers have not even made an impact on it.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Sorry I did not advise on the chains sooner,
I learned from the first trailer that you dont need a shim if you use two seperate bolts.
Same clamping power. and I sold my military safety chains on ebay for $40.00.
That paid for my safety cables which I like much better.

Get a pair of repair links at the hardware store, spray it OD green and sell them on the bay.

DblD

Adventurer
A couple rainy weekends have slowed progress on the trailer. I did get the front and rear panels mocked up.

1376706152_p8100789.jpg

1376706245_p8100790.jpg

After having the panels welded together everything got a coat of primer and paint.

1376706380_p8160795.jpg

The boxed in area is where a small window unit air conditioner will be mounted. I would like to mount it on heavy duty drawer slides so when the tent is deployed it will slide out. When the tent is packed up for travel the air conditioner will slide in and be stowed away.

1376706489_p8160796.jpg

The opening is for the door that swings out to the rear.

1376706591_p8160794.jpg

I’ve had a good plan on how to proceed up to this point. Now I’m sort of stuck. I’m not sure what to do next. I plan on skinning the outside in aluminum. This will require some seriously accurate measuring and communicating those measurements to a sheet metal guy. I also plan on doing an engineered wood floor in the camper. Then it’s on to the bench seats, table and storage areas.

dd

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
A military landing ladder would look cool on the rear.
What are the plans for the front deck beside the a/c unit?
Fab work looks great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater