Colorado Adventure 2009

Scott39

Adventurer
I think just about every piece of mining equipment we find in the mountains, was made by Ingersoll-Rand.

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Day 2: Williams & Tomichi

Day two was another early start. I was looking forward to this day. The main reason for planning my trip in August this year was so that I could run Williams Pass (which is only open for the month of August each year), so that trail was first on the agenda.

Of course, I did need to stop in St. Elmo on our way to Williams Pass for a few photos ;)
IMG_5070.JPG

IMG_5078.JPG

...and I can't ever seem to drive by the Allie Belle without stopping for a photo, either!
IMG_5083.JPG

...but I did finally make it to the trailhead for Williams Pass
IMG_5087.JPG

IMG_5089.JPG

IMG_5092.JPG

IMG_5095.JPG

The start of the trail in the trees
IMG_5097.JPG

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
IMG_5098.JPG

Then out of the trees as you get closer to the pass
IMG_5105.JPG

Long stretches of bumpy road
IMG_5106.JPG

IMG_5111.JPG

IMG_5113.JPG

Up at Williams Pass
IMG_5120.JPG

Starting down the other side
IMG_5124.JPG

IMG_5126.JPG

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
IMG_5128.JPG

The final descent down to the Alpine Tunnel Road
IMG_5131.JPG

Heading back over 'the palisades' on the Alpine Tunnel Road
IMG_5134.JPG

After completing Williams Pass it was time for another trail that I have not been on before because the last two times I tried, there were snow drifts blocking the trail.....so we made our way over to the start of Tomichi Pass.

IMG_5142.JPG

IMG_5145.JPG

IMG_5148.JPG

Narrow road up to the pass
IMG_5150.JPG

IMG_5154.JPG

Makedonas1

Observer
Is tomichi pass and hancock pass trails open in sept? Im planning on making similar routes though Co in september.

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Day 2: Marshall to Weston Pass

After finishing up Tomichi Pass at US Highway 50, we headed east a short ways towards Sargents and turned off to follow the old railroad grade over Marshall Pass.

Start of Marshall Pass
IMG_5194.JPG

Easy road the whole way
IMG_5200.JPG

IMG_5201.JPG

An old foundation at the pass
IMG_5205.JPG

We stopped and had some lunch up there
IMG_5209.JPG

Headed back down to meet up with US Highway 285
IMG_5216.JPG

We finished up earlier than planned, so we had plenty of time to check out a few more trails. We made our way north towards Fairplay to check out Browns and Breakneck Passes.
IMG_5221.JPG

In the trees at the starts of Browns Pass
IMG_5223.JPG

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Headed back down
IMG_5265.JPG

IMG_5267.JPG

IMG_5271.JPG

Instead of hopping back on the highway, we took a right and headed west over Weston Pass
IMG_5279.JPG

IMG_5283.JPG

IMG_5282.JPG

Some storm coulds in the distance
IMG_5287.JPG

IMG_5290.JPG

It rained for a short time but cleared up quickly
IMG_5292.JPG

Soon we were back on the highway headed south. We ended up stopping at Jan's in Buena Vista for some dinner before heading back to camp for the night. It was another great day.

That's it for Day 2. Day 3 to come....

Great pictures. Really taking the scenic routes. I absolutely love that area (St. Elmo/Tincup). It's actually where I learned to love the overland travel version of 4wheeling 2 years ago.

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Day 3: Sangre de Cristo Mountains & The Great Dunes

Day 3 was spent exploring the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, including some time at the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve. We started out heading south on US 285 to Villa Grove, where we turned off the pavement and took Hayden Pass over the mountains.

IMG_5301.JPG

IMG_5318.JPG

IMG_5329.JPG

After reaching the pavement again we headed south and topped off the gas tank in Westcliffe before making our way over to Medano Pass. I'll also mention that right before the turnoff to Medano Pass, we had a bear run across the highway in front of us....it was actually our first bear sighting.

Start of Medano Pass
IMG_5343.JPG

Sandy two-track
IMG_5351.JPG

IMG_5360.JPG

Entering the National Park
IMG_5364.JPG

First spotting of the dunes, straight ahead
IMG_5366.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members