Colorado Adventure 2009

FLnative

Observer
Awesome trip report! Your pictures are amazing.

How much of this trip would be possible in a 2wd truck with decent tires and clearance? Eventhough I'm down in FL for the time being, seeing this makes me kick myself for not getting 4x4.

Last edited:

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Awesome trip report! Your pictures are amazing.

How much of this trip would be possible in a 2wd truck with decent tires clearance? Eventhough I'm down in FL for the time being, seeing this makes me kick myself for not getting 4x4.

Actually a majority of it could be done with a 2WD truck

FLnative

Observer
Some of the best back country locations in Colorado are accessible with a 2wd truck & a bit of ground clearance.

Good to know, one day I will def upgrade to 4wd since I would enjoy doing a lot of trips solo and takling trails like this looks fun too.

IMG_6366.JPG

Live and learn.

JJMAC

Adventurer
Do you think I could do this trip with a Camper? Its a small popup offroad type. Just worried about some of the switchbacks.

Thanks.

Mac

Silver04RS

well since someone else brought it back from the dead

Great thread and awesome pics. Im new to CO and this is inspiring

00greenwj

Pearl Pass is a favorite of mine too. I'm lucky enough to have the trail head on the Crested Butte side five minutes from my front door. Next time you’re headed to Crested Butte try taking Scofield Pass from Marble instead of Kebler from Payonia. It will add a few hours, but it will take you over Devils Punch Bowl and right by Lead King Basin. Very scenic and a lot more fun than Kebler, it's an actual trail. Full size rigs beware, very narrow and tight in parts with big drop-offs to the side. I haven’t spent much time on trails around Taylor Park, but hope to take a few days this summer and remedy that. Really enjoyed reading your report, I'll definitely use it when planning my trip this summer.

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
I've been over Schofield Pass and the Devils Punchbowl a number of times. I love that area....but on this trip I just used Kebler to get from GJ to CB quickly without taking the highway out of my way.

Pearl Pass is a favorite of mine too. I'm lucky enough to have the trail head on the Crested Butte side five minutes from my front door. Next time you’re headed to Crested Butte try taking Scofield Pass from Marble instead of Kebler from Payonia. It will add a few hours, but it will take you over Devils Punch Bowl and right by Lead King Basin. Very scenic and a lot more fun than Kebler, it's an actual trail. Full size rigs beware, very narrow and tight in parts with big drop-offs to the side. I haven’t spent much time on trails around Taylor Park, but hope to take a few days this summer and remedy that. Really enjoyed reading your report, I'll definitely use it when planning my trip this summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal