Colorado Expedition Families?

kifaru

Observer
Our adventure crew consists of 3 people and 3 dogs. We are in Westminster.
Love Utah, but lately we've been exploring Wyoming.

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
Mom, Dad, baby boy (6 months old), and 2 dogs. Just starting to dip our feet in the Expo waters. I'm convinced but my better half isn't quite there yet. had a terrible camping event last weekend with the baby.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Mind sharing the bad experience? So many bad ones here can't even begin to count :)

5Runner

Adventurer
Mom, Dad, baby boy (6 months old), and 2 dogs. Just starting to dip our feet in the Expo waters. I'm convinced but my better half isn't quite there yet. had a terrible camping event last weekend with the baby.

Mind sharing the bad experience? So many bad ones here can't even begin to count :)

Ouch, guys...sorry to hear that. That is (was) a huge fear of mine. I started the camping expeditions when my kids were 1, 3 and 5. With three of them, I had odds against me that one of them would not like it.

I worked very hard the first year to be the camping "play toy" and spent all my time making SURE the kids were having a blast so I could get them hooked. I also made sure my wife had a great time by NOT having to do all the work with the kids. I let her sit in the sunshine by the creek to read her book, while I played with and entertained the kids.

It was a heck of a lot of work, but it paid off...my kids and wife are totally hooked on our expedition camping. The kids have also become little camping pros, if I do say so.

Share you experience, so we can try to help you (both of you). I don't have all the answers, but I have a lot of good ideas that worked for me.

One reason I started this thread was to get a good list of local families to someday invite on a big 4wheeling/camping play weekend in the mountains. That would be a great way to learn from other parents...or at least share your misery with...ha!

Keep at it, guys...once their hooked, camping and expeditions get fun again. This is our third year, and it has been significantly easier than the previous two...all because the kids are more comfortable...and older, that helps.

gloriavoxdei

Adventurer
Family of 5 and one beagle. We just started doing some boondock camping with our modified TT and my wife loves it since she now has a heater. Can't wait two weeks from now when I get my week off. Gonna head up to Devil's head for night just for one last trip.

rbod

4 and two dogs. Though our daughter is late teens now so often it's just the 3 of us.... (or her and the boyfriend join us in her XJ).

K2ZJ

Explorer
Broomfield here, 3 plus two dogs and a bun in the oven! Mostly it is me and the kid for wheeling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach