Columbia Overland's Tacoma build (sn0wspyder's)

sn0wspyder

Observer
So for those who don't know Columbia Overland is going to be breaking into the Toyota market. We figured we already had the suppliers why not market to other makes of trucks... So here it is the first Columbia Overland project Tacoma! If all goes accordingly I will have stage one done before the 10 year party here at Columbia Rovers. on June 19th

So I got tired of driving down the free way and feeling like it was a Tacoma parade. So I wanted to make this truck stand out as well we as be very functional and capable off road with out looking like some tube steel monster. So…

Stage one:
- New wheels, Got tired of the stock steel rims. I toyed around with the Idea of painting them but didn't want to drop the money to powder coat them. After I got the paint to rattle can them I found some nice soft eights on Craig List and couldn't pass them up.

I have 255/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns mounted on them (Overland Journal Gear Guide 2010 reviewed and used in the article The Distance Runner)

- Old Man Emu Front Coilovers.

- Old Man Emu Dakar rear leaf springs: Tacoma rear leaf springs are known for crapping out after a few years if you do any kind of hauling… so they had to go!

- Safari Snorkel… Very functional, and keeps the intake up out of the dust and helps ford the big Oregon rain puddles… plus adds a little bling bling!

- Window tint the front two window, I want to do this to keep prying eyes out and help keep it a little cooler in the summer (also looks ************)

- Can't stand chrome so going to be blacking out the front and rear bumpers tell I can replace them.

Stage two:

ARB Front Bumper
Rear frame reinforcements (to handle the added weight from rear bumper)
CBI rear Bumper with tire carrier (or similar custom build)
IFP auxiliary lights
Auxiliary Fuse box for accessories

Stage three:

E-lock the rear
Custom bed rack and basket system to hold RTT and supplies
RTT
ARB fridge

More to come and will keep this a running thread with progress updates!

Thanks,
Jason AKA JD, Sn0wspyder

IMG_8191.jpg

IMG_8186.jpg

IMG_8188.jpg

Last edited:

sn0wspyder

Observer
looks to be a good project, When are you getting started on this bad boy

Thanks!

Hope to be in the shop Saturday morning to get the lift in maybe the snorkel to. The new rims have pushed out the tires a little more then the stock rims now it’s rubbing a ton!

dabates

Thanks!

Hope to be in the shop Saturday morning to get the lift in maybe the snorkel to. The new rims have pushed out the tires a little more then the stock rims now it’s rubbing a ton!

have you managed to wrangle the suspension on yet, any pics/tips on the install? I am about to install the same setup on my '01 Tacoma ext cab, just waiting on the parts to get to my door...

sn0wspyder

Observer
have you managed to wrangle the suspension on yet, any pics/tips on the install? I am about to install the same setup on my '01 Tacoma ext cab, just waiting on the parts to get to my door...

I'm about Half way there... ran into a lot of rusty bolts. I would recommend getting new front bolts for the leafs (had to cut them out)

Truck is still sitting in the shop been to busy to get back on it however I did get the rear done. Tonight it's to coilovers! I'll have pics up tomorrow if all goes well. I ordered new studs for them due to the originals have rusted out also.

GET NEW BOLTS!!! Front leaf bolts are 14mm! Wheeler off road has all the bolts you need!

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Looks like a great start, should be a good build.

So for those who don't know Columbia Overland is going to be breaking into the Toyota market.

Thanks exciting! Any C.O. exclusive products planned for the Tacoma?

Last edited:

vwexpeditioner

just did the same lift last night in 4 hrs. sorry to hear about all the rusty bolts. :Wow1:

all of my bolts pushed out with my fingers and no rust whatsoever. 2002 65k

were headed down the same road i will be looking in on this build. nice truck!

jared

688436.jpg

Last edited:

RSB

Adventurer
I'm liking it already! (like you already heard me say on TTORA :p) Look forward to your progress!

sn0wspyder

Observer
update 6/7/2010

This little weekend task turned into the biggest pain in the @$$! I learned when I bought the truck 2 years ago it spent it first few years in New York. And these few years of salt on the roads was enough to rust up all my hard wear.

Day one: tired to remove I-bolts in leaf springs with no luck rusty bolts and seized bushings… had to resort to harsher methods… Cutting wheels and Saw Zaw!

IMG_1496.jpg

Day two: second leaf spring same deal back to the Saw Zaw and cutting wheels. Also learned I was going to need new shackles due to more seized bushings…. Started making phone calls cause I was dead in the water till I could get the parts
Ordered: ARB shackles
I-bots
U-bolts
Coil over studs for the front (just incase)
Longer rear brake line

IMG_1497.jpg

Day Three: Decided I wanted to feel like I had accomplished something so I tackled the front suspension… more rusty bolts!!!! Had to grind and cut off the spined studs… (Mild freak out with lots of bad words and cracked open a beer) well I had thought ahead for once and had ordered some new ones just incase… dead in the water again. Needed to take some stress out on the truck so I cut a 3 and ½ inch hole in the fender… snorkel :snorkel: installed, finally something went right!!!!

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

Day Four: Long night in the shop after work and finally got the rear in place, new break line, new shackles, new u-bolts… thank you Wheelers Off road for coming to my rescue!

IMG_1498.jpg

IMG_1499.jpg

Day Five: Sunny Sunday after noon… stuck in the shop. Took my coil-overs to my buddies over at Les Schwab to assemble for me (due to the history of events didn’t want to deal with it). After getting the rest of the studs cut out the front went in pretty easy. Bleed the break lines removed one of the resonators on the intake to give it a little more sound and test drive!!!
Handling is so much better! Front is a little stiff due the lack of a heavy bumper up there but all in good time.

tacoma.jpg

Cheers :beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater