Comfort Camp food

rusty_tlc

Explorer
WhereTheHellIsJames? said:
Thinking way back to my first camping experiences, I remember "blackened pancakes with white gas syrup" coffee grounds with a touch of water (yes, even as a very young child I was hopped up on the bean), plenty of trail mix, and home-packed tubes of crema de cacahuete y mermelada. My dad always packed a ziplock bag of cornmeal and garlic to fry fish in as well, and this item is now typically found in my kit.

Just thinking about those terrible pancakes and coffee makes me want to go camping right now. :coffeedrink:

Thought of another one from some of my first "no parents" camping: Bisquick and a tiny bit of water. Make a really thick dough, wrap it around a stick, hold/rotate over fire. Outcome: "campfire bread"... mmmmm (well, at least when you're a kid it's good)
My Dad and brother were both horrible cooks. I always cooked when we camped or when we were baching it at home. I learned how to cook from Mom and Grandma at home so we never really had to many bad camp meals.

BTW I NEVER did dishes. That was the perk of being camp cook. In Scouts I made the same deal with my patrol. I cooked they cleaned.

I still like Bisquick, best invention ever.

chet

island Explorer
we used to make homemade jerky and smoked sausage that lasted a good long while. that and bisquick!

bullsac

Observer
1speed said:
Mix it up!

This got me thinking.

Dutch Oven

Ingredients from layered bottom to top

Lean hamburger
Cut stewed tomatoes
Favorite chili
Onions
Jalepenos
Cheese
Fritos

Bake.. hmm..

bigredpigdriver

Adventurer
I made this years ago for my jeep club when I first started to cook with DO's and now I HAVE to make it everytime we go out...I double everything but the butter and cook in a 12" deep DO and serves about 20 or so...I have also used apple, peach.

Dump Cherry Cobbler

2 cans cherry pie filling (or one large 54oz. can)
2 sticks butter
1 yellow cake mix
cinnamon

Pour pie filling in bottom of oven. Sprinkle cake mix over top and DO NOT STIR. Sprinkle with cinnamon and cut pats of butter and let fall on the surface. DO NOT STIR. Cover and bake until bubbly and top is lightly browned, about 30-45 min at 350F( 17 top and 8 bottom) :jump: :jump:

rusty_tlc

Explorer
bigredpigdriver said:
I made this years ago for my jeep club when I first started to cook with DO's and now I HAVE to make it everytime we go out...I double everything but the butter and cook in a 12" deep DO and serves about 20 or so...I have also used apple, peach.

Dump Cherry Cobbler

2 cans cherry pie filling (or one large 54oz. can)
2 sticks butter
1 yellow cake mix
cinnamon

Pour pie filling in bottom of oven. Sprinkle cake mix over top and DO NOT STIR. Sprinkle with cinnamon and cut pats of butter and let fall on the surface. DO NOT STIR. Cover and bake until bubbly and top is lightly browned, about 30-45 min at 350F( 17 top and 8 bottom) :jump: :jump:
That reminds me of the DO Bisquick Peach cobblers we made in Scouts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater